Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 AF vs KL in business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:25 am
Original Poster

787 AF vs KL in business

I will be flying between Europe and South America on Delta mileage ticket and have an option of KL 787 and AF 787.
​​​​​​
KL schedule is slightly more convenient, but think KL food is terrible (and long time it takes to serve dinner on KL). What about other aspects of the flight? Seat? Before I flew AF 380 and new A330 and KL 777. It looks like 787 will be a step up with direct isle access. Is there any other reason to choose AF 787 instead KL 787 besides food?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Terrible food you get on Air Koyo apparently
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Flown both, both are fine. I think you overestimate AF food and under-estimate KL food. Yes, AF is better, but it's not a difference between one being fantastic and the other being horrible.

Since you have a choice between AF and KL I presume you are starting your journey somewhere else and then connecting through either AMS or CDG? Maybe that first leg and/or the transit experience will make a difference.

One other thing: since BOG seems to be your destination (the only one I can think of that is served both by KL and AF with Boeing 787-9), bear in mind that on the BOG-Europe flight the KL flight stops before reaching AMS, I think in Cartagena. Air France is nonstop to Paris.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
One other thing: since BOG seems to be your destination (the only one I can think of that is served both by KL and AF with Boeing 787-9), bear in mind that on the BOG-Europe flight the KL flight stops before reaching AMS, I think in Cartagena. Air France is nonstop to Paris.
I thought exactly the same as you reading OP’s post (he/she seems to fly to/from BOG) . Indeed, KL stops in CTG before going to AMS.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:37 pm

I recently flew KL in J in their B787 and the food was extremely good, KLM stepped up their game. Air France is doing the same as always and I think KL and AF are very close in terms of food.
I do think so that the service on board is better at KL because a more personal approach, always time for a chat and the KL flight attendants will make you feel at home. I never had that experience with AF, often grumpy and formal.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by BobTL
I recently flew KL in J in their B787 and the food was extremely good, KLM stepped up their game. Air France is doing the same as always and I think KL and AF are very close in terms of food.
I do think so that the service on board is better at KL because a more personal approach, always time for a chat and the KL flight attendants will make you feel at home. I never had that experience with AF, often grumpy and formal.
formal and grumpy.. that is a good discriptionzzz

I celebrated my birthday on a AF flight in J with colleagues and some other passengers who congratulated me. It was only a toast and some laughter. The crew gave us all champagne for the toast. But none congratulated me. Perhaps you need to be Ultimate for that or is that not part of the Job discription. 🤪
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Not sure we'll get very far on this forum trying to establish a single truth about whether cabin crew on AF or KL (or elsewhere) are better. Everybody will have his/her own little anecdotes which prove one point or the other, and then there will even be controversy about the interpretation of those anecdotes (e.g., the above - it is great that they've given you champagne, which other airlines might not have done? Or is it grumpy and formal that they didn't congratulate you? I don't have an opinion, just making this point to show that we won't come to a universally-accepted conclusion). And those of us that fly a lot on one given airline will have varying experiences across several flights with just that one airline. Just AF the past six weeks: formal and friendly, indifferent, grumpy, super caring and very nice, charming... seen it all.

Thus, to the OP: you'll be fine on either airline. Just pick whatever suits you in terms of schedule, transfer convenience, etc. And if either French or Dutch surroundings and cabin announcements inspire you more than the other, pick whatever you like. If you want something clearly "better" then you'd need to fly First Class. AFAIK the only airline with First Class service between Europe and BOG is Lufthansa. But that you won't be able to use with your DL miles.

Therefore, AF or KL are the best options for using your DL Miles between Europe and Colombia.

Enjoy.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Sep 1, 2019 at 4:43 am
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:56 am

I would take the later AF flight to EU and return on the KL flight to BOG.

AF is later and does not stop on the way to the EU.

KL is an earlier flight so you will be in BOG earlier.

product is the same on average...
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Have done both (admittedly only 1x KL in they 787) and had good experiences every time. I think AF is often better if you speak French, although the same is true for Dutch with KLM (from Belgium and speak both). My choice for food is AF, for connections AMS (ergo KL); the seats seem effectively equal to me. The coffee on AF is much better (again, personal preference). You'd be fine to choose either.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I've had great and average experiences on both AF/KL so as others said, it will come down to which schedule is more convenient for you.

With that being said, I lean towards KL because I like the little houses =)
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I typically prefer Air France as the food is better to my taste.

The only thing to avoid on AF is the A380 where the seats don’t go fully flat in business.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Originally Posted by lily23
I've had great and average experiences on both AF/KL so as others said, it will come down to which schedule is more convenient for you.

With that being said, I lean towards KL because I like the little houses =)
That's funny, I always refuse the little houses, though I do appreciate the tradition. It is very much down to schedule and personal tastes - I'm an odd one, as I prefer AZ in the European Skyteam group!
lily23 and af fp like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:08 am

I like AF better but I am French so food and drinks are a big deal for me and the AF service suits me well too. I flew Alitalia once and loved it, mostly because I did not mind the mess and loved the food, cabin, amenities. KL is fine but more basic, for some reason I don’t love Schiphol and the lounges but again it is me. If KL is a lot cheaper or more convenient I will take them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.