Testing the limits of miles expiration

Old Aug 30, 19, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Uh...all of them...um...any of them...
Testing the limits of miles expiration

Hi. So I have about 18,000 miles expiring on Aug 31. I also have a revenue flight coming up a few days after that, which of course will not help me with extending the validity of those miles. I'm thinking about transferring some Chase points to book a SFO-AMS ticket in a few months that I may take, though I might have to change the dates later, give or take. My questions are:

- If I book this award ticket but want to change the dates, I just have to pay the 45 EUR and mileage difference (if any), correct?

- Or if I cancel the award ticket after I fly on my revenue ticket, will I get the miles back (after paying the redeposit fee, of course)?
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:18 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Originally Posted by char777 View Post
Hi. So I have about 18,000 miles expiring on Aug 31. I also have a revenue flight coming up a few days after that, which of course will not help me with extending the validity of those miles. I'm thinking about transferring some Chase points to book a SFO-AMS ticket in a few months that I may take, though I might have to change the dates later, give or take. My questions are:

- If I book this award ticket but want to change the dates, I just have to pay the 45 EUR and mileage difference (if any), correct?

- Or if I cancel the award ticket after I fly on my revenue ticket, will I get the miles back (after paying the redeposit fee, of course)?
If you cancel the award ticket only the miles from your last revenue flight will be coming back. The 18.000 miles will be gone as they expired on 31 aug.
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Note that the fee is now €50 (see below, and: https://www.flyingblue.us/en/flights/reward-tickets).

And beware that "change" may just be a fancy name for a "cancel-and-re-book" in a conjoined transaction; I caution you that "changing" a ticket booked with miles which have now gone past their expiration date may result in the miles disappearing before the new date can be booked, making a "change" impossible.

If you really need those miles, then either:

a) book now a reward flight that you will under no circumstances need to change
b) take a flight today that will earn XPs in Flying Blue, and make sure your Flying Blue number - and no other FFP number - is associated with the booking (i.e. if booking on Delta, do not do so while logged in an a SkyMiles member; in fact, better book from a third party)

Please report back; we never have willing testers of the limits of this expiration policy, so your experiences are crucial for furthering our understanding of the program.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 31, 19 at 2:39 am
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Uh...all of them...um...any of them...
I will be sure to report back. Hereís one thing I already see is weird:

I initially had 18,000(and a little more) miles set to expire on 31 Aug 2019. The day before, I transferred a few thousand miles from Chase so I could book a ticket for award travel in March. That left me with 851 miles, which I assumed they would have expired yesterday. But now itís 1 Sep and not only do I still have those 851 miles, but it says they now expire 30 Aug 2021. I thought Chase transfers didnít extend the validity! Do you think itís just a bug or maybe because I do have a revenue ticket booked?Ē
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
The day before, I transferred a few thousand miles from Chase so I could book a ticket for award travel in March. That left me with 851 miles, which I assumed they would have expired yesterday. But now itís 1 Sep and not only do I still have those 851 miles, but it says they now expire 30 Aug 2021.

The 851 miles remaining are part of a tranche that first arrived into your account on 30 August 2019. All miles have a lifetime of at least 24 months. Hence, the tranche of miles that you moved into your FB account on 30 August 2019 have a lifetime of 2 years, i.e. to 30 August 2021, which for convenience is extended to the end of the month, so that they only need to "remove" miles once a month, rather than on every day of the calendar.

I thought Chase transfers didnít extend the validity! Do you think itís just a bug or maybe because I do have a revenue ticket booked?Ē
In what way did this transfer "extend" validity? The miles in your account only arrived in your account 2 days ago. They still have 2 years lifetime to run out.

Your transfer did not "extend" any miles. The miles you used up for your award booking would have expired on 31 August 2019 regardless of your mileage transfer in on 30 August 2019. And the miles remaining in your account are only 2 days old.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread