HELP : Large carry-on : will it fit?

Old Aug 25, 19, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue
Question HELP : Large carry-on : will it fit?

Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a new carry-on : a Rimowa Cabin PLUS. I find the 'Plus' model more adequate to my carry-on needs when it comes to packing/storage space.
However, the dimensions of that carry-on exceed the max dimensions allowed by Air France OR any airline actually. Though they still advertise it as a cabin/carry-on suitcase, people use it as so i believe.
Does anyone know if that carry-on will fit in most overhead lockers? Embraer 190 / a18/19/20 ... The dimensions are 57/44/25.5 - 49liters.
I don't want to run into a single problem at the gate with this carry-on and then have to worry about it every time I fly, i'm buying this for the long run!
thanks in advance for your help
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Mat.J View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a new carry-on : a Rimowa Cabin PLUS. I find the 'Plus' model more adequate to my carry-on needs when it comes to packing/storage space.
However, the dimensions of that carry-on exceed the max dimensions allowed by Air France OR any airline actually. Though they still advertise it as a cabin/carry-on suitcase, people use it as so i believe.
Does anyone know if that carry-on will fit in most overhead lockers? Embraer 190 / a18/19/20 ... The dimensions are 57/44/25.5 - 49liters.
I don't want to run into a single problem at the gate with this carry-on and then have to worry about it every time I fly, i'm buying this for the long run!
Issue is not if it fits or not.

Issue is if the size will be checked. Some airlines check cabin luggage size. Can happen at the gate or in the queue before security check (as in CDG).

if it does not fit into the gauge, you will have to check it.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why does it matter if it will fit?

The sole question is whether it exceeds the maximum permissible dimensions for any given carrier.

Might you get away with an inch or two here and there? Maybe. But, that does not answer your question.

The fact that a manufacturer advertises something as "carry on" or somesuch is meaningless. In fact, the published dimensions are also often incorrect as most carriers include wheels, handles and the like, while manufacturers often do not.
Old Aug 26, 19, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Why does it matter if it will fit?

The sole question is whether it exceeds the maximum permissible dimensions for any given carrier.

Might you get away with an inch or two here and there? Maybe. But, that does not answer your question.

The fact that a manufacturer advertises something as "carry on" or somesuch is meaningless. In fact, the published dimensions are also often incorrect as most carriers include wheels, handles and the like, while manufacturers often do not.
Hi Often1 and Carnavon, thank your replies!
itís almost certain that this luggage would not pass a gate check - wether itís Air France or another airline.
itís 22,1 / 17,8 / 9,9 inches. So itís just a little over Air Franceís limit. Just like is my current carry-on, and I never had a gate check and was never told to check it in because of its size.
would you consider that itís quite safe to buy a carry-on with these dimensions for most airlines?
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Hi,

I have this one from when it was still called the Rimowa Topas Stealth, a friend suggested to buy the biggest carry-on they had and without me actually checking the dimensions, I bought an "illegal" carry-on.

To answer your questions, yes it fits in most overhead lockers of the aircraft that I fly: AF A319/320/321 KL E190/737/738/739 (it fits in all longhaul aircraft) however in an E190 I need to put it sideways limiting overhead space for others so when I have a flight on a E190 I almost always bring another bag instead of the Rimowa.

Although it is not the allowed size, I feel like Rimowa designed this model with the overheads in mind, that even if it's bigger than most airlines allow, it will still fit.

So far, I've only had to check it once from ARN-SVO where it would've easily fit (especially in a practically empty J cabin...)
Mat.J likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/commo...-airfrance.htm

You will have trouble with those dimensions every single time. Your chosen bag exceeds each one.

Do not buy it if you don't want to be told on almost every trip to check it in!
Often1 likes this.

Search this Thread