FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   HELP : Large carry-on : will it fit? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1984467-help-large-carry-will-fit.html)

Mat.J Aug 25, 2019 2:35 pm

HELP : Large carry-on : will it fit?

Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a new carry-on : a Rimowa Cabin PLUS. I find the 'Plus' model more adequate to my carry-on needs when it comes to packing/storage space.
However, the dimensions of that carry-on exceed the max dimensions allowed by Air France OR any airline actually. Though they still advertise it as a cabin/carry-on suitcase, people use it as so i believe.
Does anyone know if that carry-on will fit in most overhead lockers? Embraer 190 / a18/19/20 ... The dimensions are 57/44/25.5 - 49liters.
I don't want to run into a single problem at the gate with this carry-on and then have to worry about it every time I fly, i'm buying this for the long run!
thanks in advance for your help :)

carnarvon Aug 25, 2019 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mat.J (Post 31455641)
Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a new carry-on : a Rimowa Cabin PLUS. I find the 'Plus' model more adequate to my carry-on needs when it comes to packing/storage space.
However, the dimensions of that carry-on exceed the max dimensions allowed by Air France OR any airline actually. Though they still advertise it as a cabin/carry-on suitcase, people use it as so i believe.
Does anyone know if that carry-on will fit in most overhead lockers? Embraer 190 / a18/19/20 ... The dimensions are 57/44/25.5 - 49liters.
I don't want to run into a single problem at the gate with this carry-on and then have to worry about it every time I fly, i'm buying this for the long run!

Issue is not if it fits or not.

Issue is if the size will be checked. Some airlines check cabin luggage size. Can happen at the gate or in the queue before security check (as in CDG).

if it does not fit into the gauge, you will have to check it.

Often1 Aug 25, 2019 5:59 pm

Why does it matter if it will fit?

The sole question is whether it exceeds the maximum permissible dimensions for any given carrier.

Might you get away with an inch or two here and there? Maybe. But, that does not answer your question.

The fact that a manufacturer advertises something as "carry on" or somesuch is meaningless. In fact, the published dimensions are also often incorrect as most carriers include wheels, handles and the like, while manufacturers often do not.

Mat.J Aug 26, 2019 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31456217)
Why does it matter if it will fit?

The sole question is whether it exceeds the maximum permissible dimensions for any given carrier.

Might you get away with an inch or two here and there? Maybe. But, that does not answer your question.

The fact that a manufacturer advertises something as "carry on" or somesuch is meaningless. In fact, the published dimensions are also often incorrect as most carriers include wheels, handles and the like, while manufacturers often do not.

Hi Often1 and Carnavon, thank your replies!
it’s almost certain that this luggage would not pass a gate check - wether it’s Air France or another airline.
it’s 22,1 / 17,8 / 9,9 inches. So it’s just a little over Air France’s limit. Just like is my current carry-on, and I never had a gate check and was never told to check it in because of its size.
would you consider that it’s quite safe to buy a carry-on with these dimensions for most airlines?

glennhaak Aug 26, 2019 6:14 am

Hi,

I have this one from when it was still called the Rimowa Topas Stealth, a friend suggested to buy the biggest carry-on they had and without me actually checking the dimensions, I bought an "illegal" carry-on.

To answer your questions, yes it fits in most overhead lockers of the aircraft that I fly: AF A319/320/321 KL E190/737/738/739 (it fits in all longhaul aircraft) however in an E190 I need to put it sideways limiting overhead space for others so when I have a flight on a E190 I almost always bring another bag instead of the Rimowa.

Although it is not the allowed size, I feel like Rimowa designed this model with the overheads in mind, that even if it's bigger than most airlines allow, it will still fit.

So far, I've only had to check it once from ARN-SVO where it would've easily fit (especially in a practically empty J cabin...)

irishguy28 Aug 26, 2019 10:31 am

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/commo...-airfrance.htm
https://img.static-af.com/images/med...&max_width=768

You will have trouble with those dimensions every single time. Your chosen bag exceeds each one.

Do not buy it if you don't want to be told on almost every trip to check it in!

scott56 Dec 28, 2019 4:46 pm

Just curious, did you buy the bag? If so have you had luck with it. I’m waiting for mine which should arrive on Tuesday. I’m debating if I made a mistake not getting the regular cabin. It will be a pain to return it, but if I have to I will. I fly delta and up front normally. If regional I’ll use another.

Mat.J Dec 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by scott56 (Post 31884481)
Just curious, did you buy the bag? If so have you had luck with it. I’m waiting for mine which should arrive on Tuesday. I’m debating if I made a mistake not getting the regular cabin. It will be a pain to return it, but if I have to I will. I fly delta and up front normally. If regional I’ll use another.

Hi Scott,
I ordered both regular cabin and cabin plus to see them in person cause I couldnt go to the store. I returned the cabin plus and kept the regular one. The cabin plus does look quite big and I tried packing things in both and I felt like I could pack way enough stuff in the regular (knowing i always have an additional weekender bag anyway). On regional jets in France (embraer or even airbuses 18/19/20) even the regular one doesn’t fit in the overhead lockers in length.
So i can’t tell wether the « Plus » model would have been accepted in the flights i’ve taken since getting my Rimowa regular.
I think it would be okay and as i’ve read, many people have had few to zero problem with it. But my choice was made considering if 1) i could actually pack enough it in and 2) Am I 100% confident it will pass all security and flight crews controls? Only the regular checked both points.
If you feel like you can pack enough in the regular one, take it. If you really want the plus model, i believe it should be fine except maybe on some regional flights but if you fly up front it’s a really good thing. I only fly business, and obviously, you’re less bothered by overhead locker storage.
Good luck
Mat

scott56 Dec 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mat.J (Post 31884518)
Hi Scott,
I ordered both regular cabin and cabin plus to see them in person cause I couldnt go to the store. I returned the cabin plus and kept the regular one. The cabin plus does look quite big and I tried packing things in both and I felt like I could pack way enough stuff in the regular (knowing i always have an additional weekender bag anyway). On regional jets in France (embraer or even airbuses 18/19/20) even the regular one doesn’t fit in the overhead lockers in length.
So i can’t tell wether the « Plus » model would have been accepted in the flights i’ve taken since getting my Rimowa regular.
I think it would be okay and as i’ve read, many people have had few to zero problem with it. But my choice was made considering if 1) i could actually pack enough it in and 2) Am I 100% confident it will pass all security and flight crews controls? Only the regular checked both points.
If you feel like you can pack enough in the regular one, take it. If you really want the plus model, i believe it should be fine except maybe on some regional flights but if you fly up front it’s a really good thing. I only fly business, and obviously, you’re less bothered by overhead locker storage.
Good luck
Mat

thank you for the reply. I could use the extra room when on the verge of checking vs not checking. In the winter time I add extra jackets ect. That’s where it becomes hard. The TUMI continental is a perfect size but I wanted to switch it up. The 22 in isn’t my biggest fear as that’s what my TUMI is. It’s the fact that the TUMI is 16in and this is 17.8 in width.

Mat.J Dec 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by scott56 (Post 31884621)
thank you for the reply. I could use the extra room when on the verge of checking vs not checking. In the winter time I add extra jackets ect. That’s where it becomes hard. The TUMI continental is a perfect size but I wanted to switch it up. The 22 in isn’t my biggest fear as that’s what my TUMI is. It’s the fact that the TUMI is 16in and this is 17.8 in width.

well, if it’s the width you’re concerned about, try to remember the last time your carryon was challenged into a dimension locker thingie at the gate? It hasnt happened to me in years.
Just make your own opinion about the looks of it. To me It looked very large and i tried to put myself in a ground crew shoes seeing someone with this large suitcase in the boarding queue. But then again, i ordered both so obviously the plus looked big next to the regular.
i think your choice will be easier and come naturally once you see it in person.

Mat.J Dec 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by scott56 (Post 31884621)

i’m actually flying AF J Class CDG>JFK in two day with my Rimowa regular cabin + a weekender. I wont check them.
if that can help : In the rimowa regular, I was able to pack : 5 shirts / 1 suit jacket / 3 sweaters / 3 pairs of jeans / 1 big north face parka / underwear for 5 days!
i could probably fit another vest but i would have to sit on the suit case to be able to lock it haha

scott56 Dec 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mat.J (Post 31884648)
i’m actually flying AF J Class CDG>JFK in two day with my Rimowa regular cabin + a weekender. I wont check them.
if that can help : In the rimowa regular, I was able to pack : 5 shirts / 1 suit jacket / 3 sweaters / 3 pairs of jeans / 1 big north face parka / underwear for 5 days!
i could probably fit another vest but i would have to sit on the suit case to be able to lock it haha

You fit Alll that’s into a regular cabin? That’s pretty good.

scott56 Dec 28, 2019 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mat.J (Post 31884648)

coming paring the dimensions to the TUMI, the regular cabin is roughly the same size not expanded and that looks big. So I have a feeling the plus will be to wide. Afraid the door might not shut and that awakward fate check once your on already moment.

Mat.J Dec 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by scott56 (Post 31884701)
You fit Alll that’s into a regular cabin? That’s pretty good.

Yup! I can fit a laptop, shoes and amenity bag as well if i take a bit less clothes and dont put a parka in it.

Originally Posted by scott56 (Post 31884705)
coming paring the dimensions to the TUMI, the regular cabin is roughly the same size not expanded and that looks big. So I have a feeling the plus will be to wide. Afraid the door might not shut and that awakward fate check once your on already moment.

I think it all comes down to this.
I just thought to myself that I will never step into an airport without the fear of having to gate check my cabin plus carryon... With the regular, i KNOW i wont have any problems.

scott56 Dec 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mat.J (Post 31884716)
Yup! I can fit a laptop, shoes and amenity bag as well if i take a bit less clothes and dont put a parka in it.

i guess I have to wear my Canada goose lol

I think it all comes down to this.
I just thought to myself that I will never step into an airport without the fear of having to gate check my cabin plus carryon... With the regular, i KNOW i wont have any problems.

yeah that’s a good way of thinking about it. That fear sucks. I’m normally upfront and a DM With delta but you never know on the GA. I don’t really want to check a Rimowa cabin... seems similar to the TUMI. Only real difference is I can’t expand it.