Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fraudulent pax onboard AF/KL - your stories

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
Not on AF/KL but Skyteam. Once I flew Santiago to Rome on Alitalia. I had a W ticket and got the first row window seat (that was the time of the price war between Alitalia and Air France on that route so that one could get a 300USD base fare SCL-FCO-CDG in W). I got installed there and 10 minutes later a guy arrived and told me that I was occupying his seat. He showed the boarding pass and his seat number was indeed the same one I had on mine. A few minutes later a FA arrived and, of course, couldn't understand at first what was going on. Then they realized that I was OP-UPed because of overbooking after I had boarded, so the brought me a new boarding pass and I moved to the second J cabin, where I was the only passenger. I took some pictures of Aconcagua, then watched a movie, then fell asleep. I woke up 6-7 hours later, about 3-4h before arrival (that was a 13.5h long flight!) and realized that I was not the only passenger in the cabin anymore. There was a young lady sleeping on the opposite side of the cabin. She woke up soon after, realized that I was awake and quickly went "to a bathroom" back to the premium economy (instead of going to the J class bathroom). I hadn't seen her since then and until landing
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Not AF but ST nonetheless - I flew frequently DXB-JED/RUH and in transit to CDG. I would say that SV must have at least 3 to 4 fraudulent passengers in J, every single time, usually local teenagers. The argument being used here is: I usually fly J but the tickets were oversold. Witnessed it at least a dozen time. Most of the time, sent to the back, but noticed some FA not arguing (most of the girls FA[hum..the ones actually working...hum] don’t speak Arabic, and pax would (pretend to?) not speak English). And they wouldn’t receive any support from their male counterpart. Side note, a flight on SV is an adventure of itself
Goldorak and fifty_two like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Not sure this is fraudulent, or just the usual "f*ck paying customers, spoils go to friends and family first":

My son flew as a UM on a long haul flight. Seat next to him taken by another kid, who after take-off was moved to Premium Eco by his mother, whose mother was an FA (bot not on this flight). Not supposition, but words of the kid himself who probably wasn't aware of the sensitivity of this topic and with infantile naïveté told the story to his seat neighbour (=my son).

Seriously, couldn't they have found one passenger in Eco that has status or some other characteristic that would have made him a better candidate for an op-up than the 12 year old offspring of a flight attendant?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: FB plat for life
We travelled in J (award) and our kids in Y across the Atlantic last month - our daughter was one week less than 15, her brothers 16.
Since we were in J, she had to travel as UM (+ EUR 150).

I wanted to put the kids in seats close to J but couldn't find any seats free except in row 52...called the Plat line and was told that that row is blocked for UMs
Couldn't change this - even though everyone agreed is was kind of non-sensical and our return flight - the daughter being 15 - this was no issue anymore....

At checkin we were seriously addressed that we had to hand in our daughter 2 hours before take off (UM rules) but we wanted the kids to board with us - in the end I had to stop by at the UM service desk and this was ok.

On board too full to move them closer to us, but the purser got wind of our story, came to get the details and told me (without even asking for that) he would file a complaint on this ridiculous rule.

After takeoff he came by and told us he would make sure we could deplane all together (and early) - again without me asking (which I would have otherwise though).

When the descent was started he brought them over and put them in 3 empty J seats.

Some passengers came to us to ask if we were KLM staff - since they assumed that our kids being moved to J for the last 20 minutes of the flight implied we were F&F...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Not sure this is fraudulent, or just the usual "f*ck paying customers, spoils go to friends and family first":

My son flew as a UM on a long haul flight. Seat next to him taken by another kid, who after take-off was moved to Premium Eco by his mother, whose mother was an FA (bot not on this flight). Not supposition, but words of the kid himself who probably wasn't aware of the sensitivity of this topic and with infantile naïveté told the story to his seat neighbour (=my son).

Seriously, couldn't they have found one passenger in Eco that has status or some other characteristic that would have made him a better candidate for an op-up than the 12 year old offspring of a flight attendant?
I could not agree more with you.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjhartog
they assumed that our kids being moved to J for the last 20 minutes of the flight implied we were F&F...
A reasonable inference, given that it is the most likely explanation.

Flying as a UM myself, I would invariably get moved up to F (no J back in those days), and then spend part of the flight in the cockpit. The letter stapled to my paper ticket no doubt had a lot to do with it.

Johan
Attached Images  
Dambus, HalconBCN and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:09 pm

Aha - it takes one to know one also applies to F&F....

but as a UM you should not take the blame for that
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by johan rebel
A reasonable inference, given that it is the most likely explanation.

Flying as a UM myself, I would invariably get moved up to F (no J back in those days), and then spend part of the flight in the cockpit. The letter stapled to my paper ticket no doubt had a lot to do with it.

Johan
has KLM already contacted you for donating all your KLM memorablia for a museum.
Carel1, Porcepic, Fabo.sk and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:01 am

We travelled in J (award) and our kids in Y across the Atlantic last month - our daughter was one week less than 15, her brothers 16.
Since we were in J, she had to travel as UM (+ EUR 150).

I wanted to put the kids in seats close to J but couldn't find any seats free except in row 52...called the Plat line and was told that that row is blocked for UMs
Couldn't change this - even though everyone agreed is was kind of non-sensical and our return flight - the daughter being 15 - this was no issue anymore....

At checkin we were seriously addressed that we had to hand in our daughter 2 hours before take off (UM rules) but we wanted the kids to board with us - in the end I had to stop by at the UM service desk and this was ok.

On board too full to move them closer to us, but the purser got wind of our story, came to get the details and told me (without even asking for that) he would file a complaint on this ridiculous rule.

After takeoff he came by and told us he would make sure we could deplane all together (and early) - again without me asking (which I would have otherwise though).

When the descent was started he brought them over and put them in 3 empty J seats.

Some passengers came to us to ask if we were KLM staff - since they assumed that our kids being moved to J for the last 20 minutes of the flight implied we were F&F...
I have seen a lot of split of family Y/J or J/F
almost each time it’s a mess and disturbing other PAX.
so sorry to appear to be rude, but I consider that everyone should select the same cabin . It would shut down these kind a painfull situations for familles and other PAX
Cardboard55 and HalconBCN like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Bullspread

so sorry to appear to be rude, but I consider that everyone should select the same cabin . It would shut down these kind a painfull situations for familles and other PAX
I don't disagree with your principle, but I disagree with your reaction to this specific anecdote shared by pjhartog.

It seems absurd having to pay UM fees despite parents travelling on the same flight (I am saying "it seems", because I actually happen to understand the AF logic: it's for safety/evacuation. UMs are all in a designated part of the cabin with FAs close by, and there is a protocol in place how the FAs take care of the UMs in case of an emergency. That actually does make sense. Taking it to the extreme and demanding that kids go through the separate UM check in and boarding process at the airport is ridiculous).

Second, I don't have an issue with a case described by pjhartog: kids joining the parents for the final 20 Minutes of the flight, when all the service is done and the cabin is prepared for arrival. They do not get a more comfortable seat for their trip, don't get the service and catering of the higher cabin, etc. They are just closer together for disembarkation. Could they have waited for each other after disembarkation? Sure. But if they choose not to and the cabin crew lets them, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Other than that I agree with you: people who think they can basically spend their flight in the higher cabin only because there is another family member there, contant back and forth, etc. Very annoying for others. And if you go upthread where I describe the case of how a family of four with three seats in P basically got their second kid into the P cabin from somewhere behind/upstairs for most of the flight including the full sleeper and breakfast service, then you have proof how much I agree with you that this family reunion during the flight is annoying.

And since we are discussing people in the wrong cabin: I get very annoyed when boarding the Business cabin on a Euro flight, with only one other passenger in the four rows of J class, but all overhead bins packed with stuff from people who just left their luggage/shopping bags/back packs/tajines/paintings in row 2 on their way to row 29. And I also get annoyed when queues of Y travelers form in the J cabin waiting for the restroom. I get it, it's less comfortable to walk from the front of the Y cabin all the way to the back and having to wait there and to be blocked by the drinks cart - but if you don't want that, pay up.
vinnyc, Goldorak, Carel1 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: FB Plat
On the other hand when families are travelling with infants/small kids in J, who may eventually become bored and noisy after some hours in flight, people are not happy either. I have even seen once a F/A telling a pax complaining against the presence of kids in J that it was indeed not acceptable for others' rest and that she would fill a complaint on his iPad!!

I guess the only rule that should apply should be that you will have the service you paid for. Already difficult to apply given these airlines' DNA... The rest should rely on people's education and savoir-vivre.
HalconBCN likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:46 am

I totally agree with the fact that if your travel split up - like we did - there should be no traffic between the 2 splits of the family all the time that would cause disturbance in both cabins. In our case, the kids (15 and 16 yrs old) behave (at least in an airplane) and need no supervision or constant checkups.
My wife once checked shortly before take off and for the rest they came over just before landing - with the purser (at his initiative).
For intercontinental flights I do not see a lot of benefit for the kids to be in J - they need less room, sleep easier anyway and besides would get used to a standard of travel they cannot afford themselves soon either....
vinnyc and fifty_two like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:13 am

I totally agree with the fact that if your travel split up - like we did - there should be no traffic between the 2 splits of the family all the time that would cause disturbance in both cabins. In our case, the kids (15 and 16 yrs old) behave (at least in an airplane) and need no supervision or constant checkups.
My wife once checked shortly before take off and for the rest they came over just before landing - with the purser (at his initiative).
For intercontinental flights I do not see a lot of benefit for the kids to be in J - they need less room, sleep easier anyway and besides would get used to a standard of travel they cannot afford themselves soon either....
... and in any case are not interested in sleeping or eating, only in watching movies on the IFE or their tablet. So J class or higher is a complete waste. It has happened on occasions, I have even been traveling with kids in P (they did behave perfectly, more so than some of the other passengers who watch videos on their iPhones without headphones, have loud conversations, snore, or are over-entitled and embarass everybody with their rude behaviour). But now that they're old enough not to need sitting next to mum or dad, let them in the back. Going on long haul trips already is a privilege they should value, no need to spoil them to premium cabins.

Long haul flights are one of the few moments where I am happy to part with some education principles, such as letting them watch movies for several hours on end.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by offvoice
Not AF but ST nonetheless - I flew frequently DXB-JED/RUH and in transit to CDG. I would say that SV must have at least 3 to 4 fraudulent passengers in J, every single time, usually local teenagers. The argument being used here is: I usually fly J but the tickets were oversold. Witnessed it at least a dozen time. Most of the time, sent to the back, but noticed some FA not arguing (most of the girls FA[hum..the ones actually working...hum] don’t speak Arabic, and pax would (pretend to?) not speak English). And they wouldn’t receive any support from their male counterpart. Side note, a flight on SV is an adventure of itself
Yes, SV really is quite a special airline. The cultural experience in J is very enjoyable, especially on the Europe flights. One time, on a flight to Rome from JED I saw a Saudi lady go into the bathroom wearing the usual attire: full-on black burka and abaya. I saw her emerge 30 minutes later in tight jeans, low-cut top and drag-queen-style makeup, ready for landing in Italy.

Flying in J from MNL to JED last year I saw a disabled European couple getting upgraded for free on board in a half empty cabin. I actually thought it was a nice gesture from the MNL ground staff (who by the way were incredibly helpful with through-checking my bags onto a separate ticket with KLM).

Another time in Y on a pretty full flight from BEY to MNL I had two seats to myself on a back row of 2 seats beside the prayer area, which the ground staff said would be blocked for me. When I arrived at my seat I was surprised to see a Saudia employee (security guard) already sitting on my assigned seat, legs spread as though we was claiming the entire row. He didn't speak English or pretended not to understand the language, so it was a kind od standoff. I was not willing to share the row as I turned down a bulkhead seat on the understanding I would have the row to myself. I summoned the purser who initially seemed to side with the employee, but as soon as I flashed the FB Plat card he had a stern word in Arabic with the employeee, who was told to go sit in another row (which he had to share with another pax.)!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but as a UM you should not take the blame for that
No worries, no pangs of remorse are keeping me awake at night.

I grew up flying F, which in those days was offered both on short and longhaul flights. It was an official perk that came with my dad's job. However, KLM had a minimum age limit for traveling alone in Royal Class (can't recall if it was 12 or 14) so as an UM I was booked in Y. And then upgraded on board as a matter of course.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.