Kenya Airways - tight transit at NBO

Old Aug 14, 19, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY*PL, TK*ELPL, AF*PL, HH*Diam, MR*Plat
Kenya Airways - tight transit at NBO

Hi guys,
not sure if this is the correct forum but I couldn‘t flnd any hints anywhere else and FB is ultimately Kenya Airways‘ program too, so anyone‘s experience would be appreciated.

I’m due to fly on a flight "operated by KQ" tomorrow, namely JNB-NBO-AMS and my scheduled connection time in NBO is only 1h5min. How easy is NBO to transit through, does anyone have experience?

And as the incoming flight from JNB is usually a bit late – how likely is KQ to wait for me to catch my connection, in case I have to run?

All help/tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:17 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Transit in NBO is very easy and quick. You have to just follow the transit sign, go through security again and that is it. You will have your onward connecting ticket and if you have SkyPriority, this will even be faster. I've done transfers in < 30 mins (due late incoming aircraft) and never had any issues. If you are not familiar with the airport layout you can ask the FA onboard.
Directly after security, you will be dumped into the duty free shop and depending on your gate, you have to either go left or right. If you are catching the KLM operated flight, it is normally to the right side after leaving the duty free area.

If any case you miss your connection I don't think there is much to worry about as there are quite a number of flights going to Europe in the evening and hopefully you can be rebooked to either one and get into AMS without too much delay.

Cheers!
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:44 am

It's easily doable, I think the minimum connection time allowed is 50 minutes and even that is too much for KQ-KQ/KL flight, you are looking at 5 minutes walk to security and another 5 minutes after, security can take anywhere from 1-10 minutes.
On the downside, in the unlikely event you miss the connection you will probably have to overnight at NBO as most flights to Europe leave around the same time and then there is nothing further until the morning.
Old Aug 15, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
On the downside, in the unlikely event you miss the connection you will probably have to overnight at NBO as most flights to Europe leave around the same time and then there is nothing further until the morning.
KQ also operates a red-eye JNB-NBO that connects easily to KQ116 at 8:05 am to AMS.
I'm guessing that in case of delay, OP will be booked on KQ100 to LHR at 9:30 am then to AMS - as plenty of ST options from LHR.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
KQ also operates a red-eye JNB-NBO that connects easily to KQ116 at 8:05 am to AMS.
I'm guessing that in case of delay, OP will be booked on KQ100 to LHR at 9:30 am then to AMS - as plenty of ST options from LHR.
Yes, if OP is flying the red-eye out of JNB it makes things easier, interestingly enough both options have 1h5 connection time
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY*PL, TK*ELPL, AF*PL, HH*Diam, MR*Plat
So just as an update - everything worked out fine, we landed on time and while it did take us ages to get into the bus and off to the terminal, the transit itself was a breeze (the boarding not so much.)

Thanks everyone for the help!
glennhaak likes this.

Search this Thread