Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue starts to take away elite perks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Angry Flying Blue starts to take away elite perks

When booking award tickets for family and friends the passengers used to travel with the FB level of the sponsor. Thus if a platinum member gives his son an award ticket, the son would enjoy, extra baggage, free seat choice, SKY PRIORITY etc.
NO MORE !
Without communicating to its members FB has removed this perk per 17 July 2019 and that works retrospectively.

So your beneficiary, unaware of the changes, will be in for a surprise at the airport. The extra suitcase has suddenly to be paid for, the reserved seat has gone, no SKY PRIORITY and denied access to the lounge.

Where AF/KL can of course take back any perk they give to their elite passengers, I fail to understand why this is not communicated in a timely manner and worse, why it also applies to tickets booked before 17 July, the holders of which having no idea which unpleasant surprises they will get flying KL/AF.

I have asked FB and in an email they confirmed the situation described above, but fortunately they do understand how disappointed this must be for us....
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by emviflyer
Without communicating to its members FB has removed this perk per 17 July 2019 and that works retrospectively.
This was never an official perk. It was never documented anywhere (except by beneficiaries who posted about their experience here).

(Good to know that FB has perfected timetravel, and has gone back to remove free baggage and lounge access from passengers in the past. I look forward to a range of timetravel options in the next PromoAwards list! )
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
When booking award tickets for family and friends the passengers used to travel with the FB level of the sponsor. Thus if a platinum member gives his son an award ticket, the son would enjoy, extra baggage, free seat choice, SKY PRIORITY etc.
NO MORE !

So your beneficiary, unaware of the changes, will be in for a surprise at the airport. The extra suitcase has suddenly to be paid for, the reserved seat has gone, no SKY PRIORITY and denied access to the lounge.

Where AF/KL can of course take back any perk they give to their elite passengers, I fail to understand why this is not communicated in a timely manner and worse, why it also applies to tickets booked before 17 July, the holders of which having no idea which unpleasant surprises they will get flying KL/AF.

I have asked FB and in an email, they confirmed the situation described above, but fortunately they do understand how disappointed this must be for us....
Could you share that email from KLM? I have just booked a ticket for my mother to fly with me to Portugal, ad on her booking she has my level, I was able to pick her seat (our tickets are on separate PNRs as I join her in Amsterdam, so want to make sure what to tell her to expect and what not to.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I didn't know any of this. So the person I booked award tickets for on 5th August (booked a month ago, does it depend when the ticket was booked?) could enjoy my elite benefits, such as lounge access? I would never have expected that.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:37 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Could have, yes. Not anymore with this recent change..
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Very unfortunate to hear KLM will be using its time machine to take these benefits away and alter my cherished memories. Truly, their devaluation of Flying Blue knows no bounds — especially space and time...
irishguy28 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The extra suitcase has suddenly to be paid for.
I believe KL has also increased prices by €5 per bag. Just to add insult to injury.

Johan
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
To be honest, I always thought this was an IT glitch rather than an official perk. As others correctly stated, this benefit had never been officially published.
TerryK, NickB, bodory and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by irishguy28
This was never an official perk. It was never documented anywhere (except by beneficiaries who posted about their experience here).
Not documented? Maybe not advertised. It has been confirmed by KLM (sygnefic) staff every time when an award booking was made and it was sanctioned at the highest level within the company.

The relevance of your remark about time-travel is not immediate clear to me.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DukeOfSilesia
Could you share that email from KLM? I have just booked a ticket for my mother to fly with me to Portugal, ad on her booking she has my level, I was able to pick her seat (our tickets are on separate PNRs as I join her in Amsterdam, so want to make sure what to tell her to expect and what not to.
They only confirmed that it also applied to tickets bought before 17 July, Thus i assume all "inherited " benefits have been canceled.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum (SkyTeam Elite Plus)
So have AF on their Siege+ :-/
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Not documented? Maybe not advertised. It has been confirmed by KLM (sygnefic) staff every time when an award booking was made and it was sanctioned at the highest level within the company.
So you claim that this "perk" was documented? Please, show me where! It's been discussed many times over many years here, and no-one has ever shown it to be a documented benefit.

I wasn't aware that Cygnific were now answering the phones for Flying Blue in the Netherlands in addition to handling reservations and queries for AFKL and DL revenue tickets.

You can't say that "it was sanctioned at the highest level within the company" - by your own admission, you were talking to a third-party agent.

This has long been viewed as a "quirk" rather than a perk, and is one I expected would eventually be fixed.

Can I ask you this: Does a Flying Blue reward ticket in economy still come with 1 free 23kg baggage allowance?
brunos, Goldorak and nancypants like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 1, 2019 at 7:31 am
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe not advertised.
Not quite sure how you read that as:

Originally Posted by irishguy28
So you claim that this "perk" was advertised?
Johan
Gajan likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:24 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I think for most elite members who booked award tickets from their account, this perk was well known and used - even though this was not officially published to the members.

Pity it is gone though.
emviflyer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
I don't understand the malice the TO is facing at all - including the irrelevant time travel comments. It was clear that TO meant that even for award tickets booked before the deadline (17th July) but flying after the deadline the inofficial perks are removed.

While it was never communicated or advertised, it was still a nice perk / glitch, so it is a pity that is removed now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.