UIA codeshare - what to expect?

Old Jul 25, 19, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
UIA codeshare - what to expect?

I'm flying next week on a UIA codeshare (KL ticket) from Kiev to AMS. Have any of you flown this route lately? I'm wondering if UIA will grant access to its lounge given the KL ticket code? And if the airline would give special treatment as a STE+ or will we be treated exactly the same as the rest of the pax? Reading the reviews of the airline I'm not looking forward to the flight, especially as it seems to be BOB.
Old Jul 25, 19, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
No priority services. You may have lounge access in KBP, but not 100% sure. I don’t have any experience on this route.
Old Jul 26, 19, 1:00 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Exclamation

Originally Posted by HalconBCN View Post
I I'm wondering if UIA will grant access to its lounge given the KL ticket code?.
UIA dont have lounge in AMS , they probably have contract with aspire (non-schengen) lounge

If you are a STE+ i would even suggest you to bring your flying blue card with you and try to enter the crown lounge

if the airline would give special treatment as a STE+ or will we be treated exactly the same as the rest of the pax? .
same as other paxs , so you wont have priority boarding and luggage tags

Reading the reviews of the airline I'm not looking forward to the flight, especially as it seems to be BOB.
the bob can be ok if you order a meal , but for other items you can find everywhere it is not worthy cause it's sometimes more expensive than airport's shops

Be really careful about your hand luggages , check the allowance on the UIA website , and be ready for some ryanair style of airline

Many people reported that they were forced to pay extra money for luggages

Also for UIA , your duty free purchases count as a luggage
Old Jul 26, 19, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
UIA dont have lounge in AMS , they probably have contract with aspire (non-schengen) lounge
The OP mentions flying in the opposite direction, Kyiv to AMS.

FB status on a UIA-operated flight should mean no access to any UIA lounges at Kyiv, but there's no harm in trying and seeing if it succeeds.
FB status should get the OP into the Crown Lounge at AMS if flying in the opposite direction under the same ticket/codeshare circumstances. As it's KL coded, there is no way a third party lounge would grant access, and besides, it's a KL ticket for which they will grant KL status pax access.

Note: the above was written with the expectation that the OP had a KL-coded UIA operated flight, but it seems this doesn't exist; PS does however codeshare on KL's flight, so perhaps that is what the OP is travelling on.

if, then, it is a KL flight sold with a PS code, then I'm not sure what the lounge entitlement would be even in Amsterdaj, and I don't see that PS would grant access (unless you had status with their programme)
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 26, 19 at 2:19 am
Old Jul 26, 19, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Just to clarify, my outbound is AF-operated via Paris. The return flight from KBP is KL 3097 (operated by UIA 101).
I'm plat with FB. Luggage allowance is showing as 1 hold bag for all flights except the UIA leg, which shows as 0. As it's only a 3 day trip I am considering taking hand luggage only to avoid having a debate with UIA about the luggage policy.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 19, 5:28 am

Exclamation

I am considering taking hand luggage only to avoid having a debate with UIA about the luggage policy.
ok , but as i said be really careful about it . they are also checking backpacks

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
The OP mentions flying in the opposite direction, Kyiv to AMS.
oh my bad !
irishguy28 and HalconBCN like this.
Old Jul 27, 19, 4:12 am

Since it's a KL codeshare flight I would say the KLM flying with partners website is your answer:

Ukraine International Airlines

• Business Class passengers can choose their seat from the moment they have booked.
  • Priority check-in for Business Class passengers and for Flying Blue Elite and Elite Plus members.
  • Checking in via KLM.com is possible if the Ukraine International Airlines (PS) flight (out- or inbound) is booked online via KLM.com. If not, please check in via the Ukraine International Airlines website or at the airport.
  • You can access the Ukraine International Airlines lounges if you travel in Business Class, or if you are a Flying Blue Elite Plus member.
  • Flying Blue members earn and spend Miles on Ukraine International Airlines flights with a PS or KL flight number.
Means you should have access to the lounge of UIA and priority check-in. As stated above by others just make sure to bring your physical FB Gold card.
Old Jul 27, 19, 6:28 am
Original Poster

This is good to know, useful source of info (although some of the info on other partners is outdated, so we'll see...) . I'll report back.
glennhaak likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Okay,
Here's what actually happened in case any of you have the misfortune to fly UIA on a KL ticket 😁

Lounge access: Yes
Fast track security: Yes
Priority check-in: Yes, but only when said I was "business class" (the dragons guarding the business class check-in desks did not seem to know about FB plat status) but when I got to the desk it was no problem once I flashed the card.
Check in-bag: Yes, I could check one bag for free
Seat selection: Regular eco only, exit row was full but it might be possible to get it for free if the other seats are occupied.

Now, here comes the surprise. I was charged 15 euros as a boarding-pass issuing fee because I had not checked in online. It turns out UIA charges a Ryanair-style fee if you fail to check in online.

I wrote to KLM about it afterwards and was refunded the 15 euros as nothing is written on the KLM partner page about having to check in online with UIA. Actually, the KLM partner page said it was possible to check in via the KLM website but that wasn't possible when I tried. So the info was incomplete/out of date. KLM apologized and promised to update it.

All told, if I had the choice again I would actively avoid UIA as it really is a low cost airline. The 3 hour flight to AMS felt longer than usual because of the lack of free meal service.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Okay,
Here's what actually happened in case any of you have the misfortune to fly UIA on a KL ticket 😁

Lounge access: Yes
Fast track security: Yes
Priority check-in: Yes, but only when said I was "business class" (the dragons guarding the business class check-in desks did not seem to know about FB plat status) but when I got to the desk it was no problem once I flashed the card.
Check in-bag: Yes, I could check one bag for free
Seat selection: Regular eco only, exit row was full but it might be possible to get it for free if the other seats are occupied.

Now, here comes the surprise. I was charged 15 euros as a boarding-pass issuing fee because I had not checked in online. It turns out UIA charges a Ryanair-style fee if you fail to check in online.

I wrote to KLM about it afterwards and was refunded the 15 euros as nothing is written on the KLM partner page about having to check in online with UIA. Actually, the KLM partner page said it was possible to check in via the KLM website but that wasn't possible when I tried. So the info was incomplete/out of date. KLM apologized and promised to update it.

All told, if I had the choice again I would actively avoid UIA as it really is a low cost airline. The 3 hour flight to AMS felt longer than usual because of the lack of free meal service.
Thanks for reporting. The BP fee is really a scam
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:31 am

Thanks for the update indeed! Interesting about the boarding pass. Must be a new thing, flew UIA on VNO - KBP and KBP - VNO and got my boarding pass at check-in. Absolutely rip-off indeed, but still nothing compared with the 50 Ryanair charges..
Old Aug 16, 19, 2:08 am

Okay,
Here's what actually happened in case any of you have the misfortune to fly UIA on a KL ticket ��
it will happen more often as AF stops flying to KBP during winter

Yes , its a new policy from PS . Normally you have automatic checkin . But you still have to print your boarding pass

funny thing = quite often they gave me a paper pass when they saw i had electronic one

I would actively avoid UIA as it really is a low cost airline. .
true ! 2 years ago it was still good but they changed their strategy , to summarize its like ryanair who wants to looks like lufthansa while being a low cost carrier but who isnt cheap anymore

The 3 hour flight to AMS felt longer than usual because of the lack of free meal service.
I guess you flew in a b738 . Just imagine that these planes are used to fly to almaty (5h)

Last edited by fifty_two; Aug 16, 19 at 6:49 am

Search this Thread