FlyingBlue Program : Worthless ?

Old Jul 10, 19, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UR/SkyMiles
FlyingBlue Program : Worthless ?

I have a CSR and was planning to transfer UR to Flying Blue miles to fly from HKG to CDG. Cash price is around 1200 USD round trip in economy. If you want to use miles it is 160 000 flying blue miles! It sounds like a terrible deal as I could redeem for USD 2400 through the Chase portal for any flight or hotel I want...

Also it seems that increasing tier requires 100XP (which represents 2 or 3 business class intercontinental flights) and yet you just got an extra checked in luggage. I have a lot of Delta miles as well but it seems it's very hard or impossible to transfer from Delta to AF?

I think FlyingBlue is only worthwhile if you fly business or first more than 5 times a year. What are your thoughts on this?
Old Jul 11, 19, 12:49 am

Programs: FB Gold & Petroleum
Can you show me on what dates its 160k miles? For me it shows 72-88k for a return.

And personally I think the reward rate from US creditcards to FB miles couldn't be low enough. If you want reward flights, do the actual necessary flying for it.

What do Delta SM get more than a FB Silver member?

Old Jul 11, 19, 1:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by TheRoadAheadOfUS View Post
I have a CSR and was planning to transfer UR to Flying Blue miles to fly from HKG to CDG. Cash price is around 1200 USD round trip in economy. If you want to use miles it is 160 000 flying blue miles! It sounds like a terrible deal as I could redeem for USD 2400 through the Chase portal for any flight or hotel I want...

Also it seems that increasing tier requires 100XP (which represents 2 or 3 business class intercontinental flights) and yet you just got an extra checked in luggage. I have a lot of Delta miles as well but it seems it's very hard or impossible to transfer from Delta to AF?

I think FlyingBlue is only worthwhile if you fly business or first more than 5 times a year. What are your thoughts on this?
IMO, Flying Blue is worth having if you're at least Gold (STE+) - since you get lounge access and Sky Priority on all flights. I find it a good deal and easy to reach if you're based in a place where you have a lot of Sky Team partners flying, since you get a good opportunity to find exotic, yet good yield routings. For instance, if you're in DXB and have to commute to Europe often, you'll find flights with Saudia, Middle East, Aeroflot, that are cheap and get you XP quite quickly (I achieved Platinum two years in a row just flying coach).

Regarding redemption, Flying Blue uses yield management, so prices in miles can vary a lot. The only real good deals are to redeem flights at the (very) last minute (where you can get very good deals - CDG to HKG this afternoon is 50k miles in coach )or the "Promo awards" they publish every month. Never had to transfer from Delta but I'm sure you can find some thread regarding this experience on the forum.

Hope it helps!
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:07 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Exclamation

What are your thoughts on this?
it all depends on your situation and needs

1 - you are located in the USA , which mean you can get tons of UR by buying candies everyday , transfer them to flying blue and have fun without paying thousand of dollars per year in flights
2 - Flying blue used to be a sweet deal for US customers , but now all domestic flights give you 2xp only in economy , regardless of distance and no more static charts for miles redemptions (they had good rates from US mainland to carribean and hawai for instance)
3 - if you take international skyteam flights a lot , yes flying blue can be good but its up to what you want and/or need
4 - all programs are devaluated , so flying blue is just following the trend in this industry
​​​​​​​
I have a CSR ..... as I could redeem for USD 2400 through the Chase portal for any flight or hotel I want...
At least you have the choice of partners

Also it seems that increasing tier requires 100XP (which represents 2 or 3 business class intercontinental flights) and yet you just got an extra checked in luggage
More or less the problem is that you are living in the usa , which mean most international flights operated by skyteam airlines to/from the USA are intercontinental

I have a lot of Delta miles as well but it seems it's very hard or impossible to transfer from Delta to AF?
as far as i know its not possible directly , and i guess indirect transfers too

I think FlyingBlue is only worthwhile if you fly business or first more than 5 times a year
It depends what you expect from a frequent flyer program

i was quite happy as silver , because i dont have huge needs . But in my case almost all the missing benefits (compared to gold for instance) can easily be obtained by other means

Last edited by fifty_two; Jul 11, 19 at 1:12 am
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:44 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
I think Flying Blue is fine but the posts above pretty much summarise it well.

If your flights are mostly domestic, it's hard. But really, US based credit cards make it easy to earn points to transfer for award tickets anyway. And it depends on needs.

Flying internationally is not hard within Europe; one hour flights from Germany to France or NL net 5XP in Y and 15 in J and if one's travel patterns line up, it can work out without too much effort. And I am satisfied with my Silver status. The checked bag allowance and priority check-in (and sort of boarding) are suffisant for me.........

As for dynamic award pricing, don't the big 3 US airlines do it too ?
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
If you fly business, then you don't need frequent flyer status perks. If you fly only 5 times a year, you are not a frequent flyer.

Flying Blue, as the frequent flyer programme for Air France, KLM, Kenya Airways, TAROM and Air Calin, makes sense for people who fly frequently with these airlines.
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Flying Blue ... makes sense for people who fly frequently with these airlines.
I guess it makes sense in the sense that it by and large isn't any worse than the alternatives.

I've long since given up on FFPs, at least as far as earn & burn goes. I just buy tickets to wherever I need or want to go, choosing the most suitable flight on the basis of convenience and value for money. FFPs don't even come in to the equation. Admittedly, being Plat for Life makes that easier.

Johan
Old Jul 12, 19, 5:13 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Boturham View Post

And personally I think the reward rate from US creditcards to FB miles couldn't be low enough. If you want reward flights, do the actual necessary flying for it.
I remember the days when Frequent Flyer Programs were programs for frequent flyers.
caliform likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
For what it's worth, I've booked a one-way ticket in Air France's First Class for 200k miles, so I think you just hit a particularly bad example of dynamic award pricing.

Search this Thread