KQ over AF for Madagascar - are they okay?

Old Jul 10, 19, 3:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 1,987
KQ over AF for Madagascar - are they okay?

Hi guys,

I am planning a trip to Madagascar and am looking at KL/KQ BHX - AMS - NBO - TNR outbound and AF TNR - CDG - BHX inbound.

Originally I planned to use AF both ways however outbound would require a very early red eye from BHX something I always try to avoid so I want to use KQ a day earlier.

Now I have heard very mixed reviews about KQ. The AMS - NBO would be a B787 and the NBO - TNR would be an E190.

Can you please share your experiences with KQ and NBO? How reliable are they? Are their short haul flights cancelled often and do they regularly lose luggage?

Is it worth using them over AF to avoid a red eye and save marginally on the ticket price?

Thanks for your input.

FC
flyingcrazy is offline  
Old Jul 10, 19, 3:50 am
  #2  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 3,154
Hi

I recently did NBO-TNR with KQ in both Y and J - and I would say onboard service wise, it is quite good. However I would only be concern about delays. The few times I was at NBO airport, different flights were delayed by about 1 hour to about 8-10 hours. The TNR flight can also be affected (noticed one day when I was wiating for my NBO-AMS flight), the flight was delayed from 12.30 noon to about 2200.

I see that delays with KQ (albeit not too many) still quite a high possibility.

Hope this helps in your consideration.

Cheers!
nldogbert is offline  
Old Jul 10, 19, 4:38 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Maastricht, Cheshire, Kanungu
Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
Hi

I recently did NBO-TNR with KQ in both Y and J - and I would say onboard service wise, it is quite good. However I would only be concern about delays. The few times I was at NBO airport, different flights were delayed by about 1 hour to about 8-10 hours. The TNR flight can also be affected (noticed one day when I was wiating for my NBO-AMS flight), the flight was delayed from 12.30 noon to about 2200.

I see that delays with KQ (albeit not too many) still quite a high possibility.

Hope this helps in your consideration.

Cheers!
Service on KQ short haul is really quite reasonable.

Nairobi. I've never had a bag go missing in the last 15 journeys through. My friend had a single shoe stolen from his bag, though. Delays are of course possible. A few months ago KQ ran two E190s into each other on static testing and I'm not sure whether they're still out of action. It's a risk, but then again, is Air France's reputation on delays much better?
maastrichtmouse is online now  
Old Jul 10, 19, 4:48 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: AA Exp
Posts: 661
Flew KQ in May from Amsterdam to the Comoros (a very very odd place). With just a connection in NBO on the outbound, but connections in TNR and NBO on the way back (odd routing...). Our flights were all on time, but did notice that the days before our return flight many flights were cancelled (incl. the flight the day before ours) and/or significantly delayed departing from HAH (and TNR). Flights were also quite empty so that may be a reason they cancel the flights rather often.
gnargel is online now  
Old Jul 10, 19, 5:08 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,320
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse View Post
My friend had a single shoe stolen from his bag, though.
Who steals a single shoe and leaves the other one?
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 19, 6:25 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NBO,DXB,CMN,TXL,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy View Post
Hi guys,

I am planning a trip to Madagascar and am looking at KL/KQ BHX - AMS - NBO - TNR outbound and AF TNR - CDG - BHX inbound.

Originally I planned to use AF both ways however outbound would require a very early red eye from BHX something I always try to avoid so I want to use KQ a day earlier.

Now I have heard very mixed reviews about KQ. The AMS - NBO would be a B787 and the NBO - TNR would be an E190.

Can you please share your experiences with KQ and NBO? How reliable are they? Are their short haul flights cancelled often and do they regularly lose luggage?

Is it worth using them over AF to avoid a red eye and save marginally on the ticket price?

Thanks for your input.

FC
Never had an issue with KQ on CDG/AMS-NBO or back, nor did I experienced significant delays. They fly modern airplanes with good services (especially when compared to other local airlines except perhaps Ethiopian). For Short/medium haul, I had only one occurence where my flight was significantly delayed (DXB-NBO, 4 hours late). However, when taking a look at flight data, it seems the NBO-TNR flight is actually rarely delayed. So I wouldn't worry too much. Regarding the luggage, I only travel with carry-on, so can't say, but never heard of any issue amongst my colleagues.
offvoice is online now  
Old Jul 10, 19, 6:54 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,608
Are you flying J or Y?
Service wise KQ is on-par if not better than AF, food quality is similar and I like the J hard product on the 787 (never flew it in Y)
The E190 is nothing to write home about but it is decent enough in both Y and J for a 3hr flight, I'd suggest bringing some entertainment though as the IFE is very basic.

As for delays, you'll have a very long connection in NBO so there's probably nothing to worry about, the 787 arrive to AMS several hours earlier so even if that flight is delayed the risk of you missing your NBO-TNR flight is very slim.
Ditto is online now  
Old Jul 10, 19, 9:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PRG
Programs: KL Platinum, LA Black, A3 Gold, BA Silver, IB Oro
Posts: 432
Did DXB-NBO-FCO a few days ago. Service is mediocre, the crew don't care much, the menu does not match real offering on board, IFE is solid. 787 has 3 rows in main cabin. Frist and 3rd row gets a lot of noise from galley and lavatories. Mini cabin has only two rows when first row gets noise from galley and second, the last gets noise from economy and make sure there will be infants behind you. Go for row 2, the bed is okay thanks to enormous footwell. If not row 2, I would not go. NBO lounge is okay, has shower but did not look really appealing, wifi was great and food selection just alright.
747jetter is offline  
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:35 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,763
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Who steals a single shoe and leaves the other one?
Somebody who already has one shoe? Or only one foot?


Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MAN
Programs: FB Platinum
Posts: 255
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Are you flying J or Y?
Service wise KQ is on-par if not better than AF, food quality is similar and I like the J hard product on the 787 (never flew it in Y)
The E190 is nothing to write home about but it is decent enough in both Y and J for a 3hr flight, I'd suggest bringing some entertainment though as the IFE is very basic..
You must have had some bad experiences with AF if you think KQ food is similar in J!
PeteM01 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 3:39 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,608
Originally Posted by PeteM01 View Post
You must have had some bad experiences with AF if you think KQ food is similar in J!
I didn't, I find KQ food quality on the 787 from AMS to be very good (not to be confused with the E190 food quality out of NBO), that is of course my opinion, and we can agree to disagree.
Ditto is online now  
Old Jul 11, 19, 12:19 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, GF Gold, SPG Plat, LCAH Plat
Posts: 10,845
I'm about to make FB Plat based mostly on flying KQ shorthaul, and mostly in Y. They certainly do cancel regional flights fairly regularly - maybe 3-5% of my trips suffers from a cancellation? - but I think they mostly do it to routes with more flights anyway. (Last time was this week, where they actually ran a 737 on the route instead). I get upgraded notably more frequently than I get a cancellation

The E190 isn't a bad bird all told, but bring your own IFE. I find the double seats a little better than the single ones in J, because the large armrest between the doubles gives a feeling of more space IMO.

787 in J is pretty comfortable and I have slept pretty well on the seat; Y suffers the usual 9-across disgustingness but the pitch isn't bad.

Originally Posted by 747jetter View Post
NBO lounge is okay, has shower but did not look really appealing, wifi was great and food selection just alright.
The showers in the lounge are fine, as far as it goes. Food has shown a marked improvement, from "I'm off to Hardee's or Java instead" to "it'll keep me going at a push". Breakfast is usually better than dinner.
typical is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:11 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Avoid Kenya Airways!!!

my tip to anyone who values his time and nerves: Do not fly Kenya Airways! Anything that can go wrong will probably go wrong and the staff are rude and will not help you. Do not be deceived by the seemiingly nice hostesses. I and my family just had a verry bad experience. In summary: run away unless you dont value your time or money or nerves. Terrible service. Dirty planes. Zero Board Entertainment. In all Bad value for your money!

Many nice comments you see on Youtube clips are more likely than not the work of staff there.
trantnige is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 5:23 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 438
If you want to see the Mount Kilimanjaro, then fly Kenya Airways and select a seat on the right hand side.

https://flight-report.com/fr/s/?airline=Kenya+Airways&departure_input=&arrival_in put=Antananarivo+-+Ivato+%28TNR%29&auteur=&constructor=0&modeles=0&a nnee=0&Y=1&W=1&J=1&F=1

Also, last year as I was rushing when arriving at airport, I forgot to locked up my 2 checked luggages on a MPL-CDG-NBO-KGL trip. and to my biggest surprise - both bags arrived at Kigali unexplored despite carrying gold & diamonds in them... (Nah just kidding about the contents ).
So NBO is nowhere near any South African airports...
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 6:48 am
  #15  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 3,154
Originally Posted by typical View Post
The showers in the lounge are fine, as far as it goes. Food has shown a marked improvement, from "I'm off to Hardee's or Java instead" to "it'll keep me going at a push". Breakfast is usually better than dinner.
I beg to differ on the showers at NBO lounges (I was using the Pride lounge) and although ok'ish (at best) the main issue I had when I used it was there was no hot/warm water. It was cold water - but luckily I was so dirty that it was a welcome sight to be able to freshen up as I just arrived from South Africa and did not shower for more than 20 hours (came off a long haul and had a whole day in JNB before flying to NBO).
Food indeed is ok, quite good.

Cheers!
nldogbert is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: