FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   KQ over AF for Madagascar - are they okay? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1977489-kq-over-af-madagascar-they-okay.html)

flyingcrazy Jul 10, 2019 2:33 am

KQ over AF for Madagascar - are they okay?

Hi guys,

I am planning a trip to Madagascar and am looking at KL/KQ BHX - AMS - NBO - TNR outbound and AF TNR - CDG - BHX inbound.

Originally I planned to use AF both ways however outbound would require a very early red eye from BHX something I always try to avoid so I want to use KQ a day earlier.

Now I have heard very mixed reviews about KQ. The AMS - NBO would be a B787 and the NBO - TNR would be an E190.

Can you please share your experiences with KQ and NBO? How reliable are they? Are their short haul flights cancelled often and do they regularly lose luggage?

Is it worth using them over AF to avoid a red eye and save marginally on the ticket price?

Thanks for your input.

FC

nldogbert Jul 10, 2019 2:50 am

Hi

I recently did NBO-TNR with KQ in both Y and J - and I would say onboard service wise, it is quite good. However I would only be concern about delays. The few times I was at NBO airport, different flights were delayed by about 1 hour to about 8-10 hours. The TNR flight can also be affected (noticed one day when I was wiating for my NBO-AMS flight), the flight was delayed from 12.30 noon to about 2200.

I see that delays with KQ (albeit not too many) still quite a high possibility.

Hope this helps in your consideration.

Cheers!

maastrichtmouse Jul 10, 2019 3:38 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 31288143)
Hi

I recently did NBO-TNR with KQ in both Y and J - and I would say onboard service wise, it is quite good. However I would only be concern about delays. The few times I was at NBO airport, different flights were delayed by about 1 hour to about 8-10 hours. The TNR flight can also be affected (noticed one day when I was wiating for my NBO-AMS flight), the flight was delayed from 12.30 noon to about 2200.

I see that delays with KQ (albeit not too many) still quite a high possibility.

Hope this helps in your consideration.

Cheers!

Service on KQ short haul is really quite reasonable.

Nairobi. I've never had a bag go missing in the last 15 journeys through. My friend had a single shoe stolen from his bag, though. Delays are of course possible. A few months ago KQ ran two E190s into each other on static testing and I'm not sure whether they're still out of action. It's a risk, but then again, is Air France's reputation on delays much better?

gnargel Jul 10, 2019 3:48 am

Flew KQ in May from Amsterdam to the Comoros (a very very odd place). With just a connection in NBO on the outbound, but connections in TNR and NBO on the way back (odd routing...). Our flights were all on time, but did notice that the days before our return flight many flights were cancelled (incl. the flight the day before ours) and/or significantly delayed departing from HAH (and TNR). Flights were also quite empty so that may be a reason they cancel the flights rather often.

irishguy28 Jul 10, 2019 4:08 am

Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse (Post 31288214)
My friend had a single shoe stolen from his bag, though.

Who steals a single shoe and leaves the other one? :D :D :D

offvoice Jul 10, 2019 5:25 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy (Post 31288114)
Hi guys,

I am planning a trip to Madagascar and am looking at KL/KQ BHX - AMS - NBO - TNR outbound and AF TNR - CDG - BHX inbound.

Originally I planned to use AF both ways however outbound would require a very early red eye from BHX something I always try to avoid so I want to use KQ a day earlier.

Now I have heard very mixed reviews about KQ. The AMS - NBO would be a B787 and the NBO - TNR would be an E190.

Can you please share your experiences with KQ and NBO? How reliable are they? Are their short haul flights cancelled often and do they regularly lose luggage?

Is it worth using them over AF to avoid a red eye and save marginally on the ticket price?

Thanks for your input.

FC

Never had an issue with KQ on CDG/AMS-NBO or back, nor did I experienced significant delays. They fly modern airplanes with good services (especially when compared to other local airlines except perhaps Ethiopian). For Short/medium haul, I had only one occurence where my flight was significantly delayed (DXB-NBO, 4 hours late). However, when taking a look at flight data, it seems the NBO-TNR flight is actually rarely delayed. So I wouldn't worry too much. Regarding the luggage, I only travel with carry-on, so can't say, but never heard of any issue amongst my colleagues.

Ditto Jul 10, 2019 5:54 am

Are you flying J or Y?
Service wise KQ is on-par if not better than AF, food quality is similar and I like the J hard product on the 787 (never flew it in Y)
The E190 is nothing to write home about but it is decent enough in both Y and J for a 3hr flight, I'd suggest bringing some entertainment though as the IFE is very basic.

As for delays, you'll have a very long connection in NBO so there's probably nothing to worry about, the 787 arrive to AMS several hours earlier so even if that flight is delayed the risk of you missing your NBO-TNR flight is very slim.

747jetter Jul 10, 2019 8:17 am

Did DXB-NBO-FCO a few days ago. Service is mediocre, the crew don't care much, the menu does not match real offering on board, IFE is solid. 787 has 3 rows in main cabin. Frist and 3rd row gets a lot of noise from galley and lavatories. Mini cabin has only two rows when first row gets noise from galley and second, the last gets noise from economy and make sure there will be infants behind you. Go for row 2, the bed is okay thanks to enormous footwell. If not row 2, I would not go. NBO lounge is okay, has shower but did not look really appealing, wifi was great and food selection just alright.

johan rebel Jul 10, 2019 10:35 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 31288270)
Who steals a single shoe and leaves the other one?

Somebody who already has one shoe? Or only one foot?

Johan

PeteM01 Jul 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto (Post 31288508)
Are you flying J or Y?
Service wise KQ is on-par if not better than AF, food quality is similar and I like the J hard product on the 787 (never flew it in Y)
The E190 is nothing to write home about but it is decent enough in both Y and J for a 3hr flight, I'd suggest bringing some entertainment though as the IFE is very basic..

You must have had some bad experiences with AF if you think KQ food is similar in J!

Ditto Jul 11, 2019 2:39 am

Originally Posted by PeteM01 (Post 31289768)
You must have had some bad experiences with AF if you think KQ food is similar in J!

I didn't, I find KQ food quality on the 787 from AMS to be very good (not to be confused with the E190 food quality out of NBO), that is of course my opinion, and we can agree to disagree.

typical Jul 11, 2019 11:19 am

I'm about to make FB Plat based mostly on flying KQ shorthaul, and mostly in Y. They certainly do cancel regional flights fairly regularly - maybe 3-5% of my trips suffers from a cancellation? - but I think they mostly do it to routes with more flights anyway. (Last time was this week, where they actually ran a 737 on the route instead). I get upgraded notably more frequently than I get a cancellation ;)

The E190 isn't a bad bird all told, but bring your own IFE. I find the double seats a little better than the single ones in J, because the large armrest between the doubles gives a feeling of more space IMO.

787 in J is pretty comfortable and I have slept pretty well on the seat; Y suffers the usual 9-across disgustingness but the pitch isn't bad.

Originally Posted by 747jetter (Post 31288935)
NBO lounge is okay, has shower but did not look really appealing, wifi was great and food selection just alright.

The showers in the lounge are fine, as far as it goes. Food has shown a marked improvement, from "I'm off to Hardee's or Java instead" to "it'll keep me going at a push". Breakfast is usually better than dinner.

trantnige Jul 12, 2019 7:11 am

Avoid Kenya Airways!!!

my tip to anyone who values his time and nerves: Do not fly Kenya Airways! Anything that can go wrong will probably go wrong and the staff are rude and will not help you. Do not be deceived by the seemiingly nice hostesses. I and my family just had a verry bad experience. In summary: run away unless you dont value your time or money or nerves. Terrible service. Dirty planes. Zero Board Entertainment. In all Bad value for your money!

Many nice comments you see on Youtube clips are more likely than not the work of staff there.

flying_blue_white_red Jul 13, 2019 4:23 am

If you want to see the Mount Kilimanjaro, then fly Kenya Airways and select a seat on the right hand side.

https://flight-report.com/fr/s/?airline=Kenya+Airways&departure_input=&arrival_in put=Antananarivo+-+Ivato+%28TNR%29&auteur=&constructor=0&modeles=0&a nnee=0&Y=1&W=1&J=1&F=1

Also, last year as I was rushing when arriving at airport, I forgot to locked up my 2 checked luggages on a MPL-CDG-NBO-KGL trip. and to my biggest surprise - both bags arrived at Kigali unexplored despite carrying gold & diamonds in them... (Nah just kidding about the contents :D).
So NBO is nowhere near any South African airports...

nldogbert Jul 13, 2019 5:48 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 31293210)
The showers in the lounge are fine, as far as it goes. Food has shown a marked improvement, from "I'm off to Hardee's or Java instead" to "it'll keep me going at a push". Breakfast is usually better than dinner.

I beg to differ on the showers at NBO lounges (I was using the Pride lounge) and although ok'ish (at best) the main issue I had when I used it was there was no hot/warm water. It was cold water - but luckily I was so dirty that it was a welcome sight to be able to freshen up as I just arrived from South Africa and did not shower for more than 20 hours (came off a long haul and had a whole day in JNB before flying to NBO).
Food indeed is ok, quite good.

Cheers!