Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

No longer possible to earn XP on non-SkyTeam partner airlines (excl. Transavia)

No longer possible to earn XP on non-SkyTeam partner airlines (excl. Transavia)

Old Jun 15, 2024, 10:34 am

Hello everybody,

I've prefered to ask on this thread instead of opening a new one!

If I buy the ticket in the attached screenshot do I still get XPs for the transavia segment? I know I am supposed to pay for the Plus or Max fare to get the points but since I am buying it directly from KLM website it has a KL code.

If that does not allow me to get XP, would paying for a "standard" fare instead of a "light" one allow me to earn them?

Thank you in advance!

Old Jun 15, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I guess so since a KL flight number. KL and AF codeshares always count, even if you fly with a non ST airline. Bit of a detour of course to go to PMI but....
Old Jun 15, 2024, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ElPaso90
If I buy the ticket in the attached screenshot do I still get XPs for the transavia segment? I know I am supposed to pay for the Plus or Max fare to get the points but since I am buying it directly from KLM website it has a KL code.
Every flight flown as KLXXXX or AFXXXX earns XPs.

If that does not allow me to get XP, would paying for a "standard" fare instead of a "light" one allow me to earn them?
There are no flights for which buying it as a "standard" fare would earn XPs but buying it as a "light" fare would not earn XPs.

The rules that apply to Transavia flights when you buy them from Transavia or as HV/TO coded flights are of no relevance to flights bought as AF/KL flights.
ElPaso90 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But you can, somehow, get XPs on Transavia, right?
Old Jun 16, 2024, 9:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
But you can, somehow, get XPs on Transavia, right?
Simply put: If you buy a ticket on AFKL app/website, then it always earns XP regardless of airline (except points tickets of course)
For Transavia: The Base Fare does not earn, but when you go through the booking engine you could upgrade the fare that will give you certain "perks" (included hand luggage etc) and XP. I believe this is called the "Max" fare. Transavia's pricing is odd though do compare with AFKL... I find ex-Paris Transavia is more expensive than Air France in many cases.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Every flight flown as KLXXXX or AFXXXX earns XPs.

There are no flights for which buying it as a "standard" fare would earn XPs but buying it as a "light" fare would not earn XPs.

The rules that apply to Transavia flights when you buy them from Transavia or as HV/TO coded flights are of no relevance to flights bought as AF/KL flights.
Thank you! That's what I thought too but I prefered to ask to be sure. Last week I flew FCO-AMS-RIX-AMS-FCO all flights on KL code but the return flight RIX-AMS (on air Baltic) did not get credited so I was a bit surprised

Originally Posted by atflyer
I guess so since a KL flight number. KL and AF codeshares always count, even if you fly with a non ST airline. Bit of a detour of course to go to PMI but....
XPs or death! Jokes aside, I got a pretty nice deal with this flight (even cheaper than direct flight with FR) and I thought it could be a good occasion so rack up some extra XPs
Old Jun 16, 2024, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you! That's what I thought too but I prefered to ask to be sure. Last week I flew FCO-AMS-RIX-AMS-FCO all flights on KL code but the return flight RIX-AMS (on air Baltic) did not get credited so I was a bit surprised.
If the return flight was booked under KL code and if it doesn't credit automatically, you can do a retroclaim.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 5:30 am

I'm still a bit confused by the new rules. What happens if I'm on a codeshare flight ticket with a non-SkyTeam flight number, but the flight is actually operated by KLM/AF. Would I be eligible for XP for that flight?
Concretely I'm considering a flight operated by KLM but would get the ticket via China Southern (constraints by party paying for the ticket).

How I interpret it, the announcement seems to miss one of the possible combinations:
  • marketed by SkyTeam & operated by SkyTeam -> XP
  • marketed by non-SkyTeam & operated by non-SkyTeam -> no XP
  • marketed by SkyTeam & operated by non-SkyTeam -> XP
  • marketed by non-SkyTeam & operated by SkyTeam -> ???
Old Jun 17, 2024, 5:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jkober
I'm still a bit confused by the new rules. What happens if I'm on a codeshare flight ticket with a non-SkyTeam flight number, but the flight is actually operated by KLM/AF. Would I be eligible for XP for that flight?
Concretely I'm considering a flight operated by KLM but would get the ticket via China Southern (constraints by party paying for the ticket).
If the flight has a CZ code, you won't get XP.

marketed by SkyTeam & operated by SkyTeam -> XP
Correct.

marketed by non-SkyTeam & operated by non-SkyTeam -> no XP
Correct.

marketed by SkyTeam & operated by non-SkyTeam -> XP
Correct, but in this case you should check the Flying Blue page for that ST airline to make sure the operating carrier and booking classes are XP eligible.

marketed by non-SkyTeam & operated by SkyTeam -> ???
No XP. If your ticket/BP has a non-ST airline then there's no XP for that.
jkober likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 6:20 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
  • marketed by SkyTeam & operated by non-SkyTeam -> XP

Originally Posted by sehgalanuj
Correct, but in this case you should check the Flying Blue page for that ST airline to make sure the operating carrier and booking classes are XP eligible.
Only if marketed by AF/KL (and RO?). Then the classes don't matter as all classes are eligible.

Marketed by other ST partners have to be operated also by SkyTeam. Marketed by DL operated by WS or LA for example - no XP.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: FB Gold

How I interpret it, the announcement seems to miss one of the possible combinations:
  • marketed by SkyTeam & operated by SkyTeam -> XP?
Be careful on the fare classes. Last year I flew a MF operated flight in Y (paid) and bought directly from MF, and after I submitted a retro-crdit request, the person from AF informed me it was not a fare that earned credit.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
"non-SkyTeam flight number" is still too vague.

There are a limited number of non-SkyTeam members that earn, so you first have to restrict it to Skyteam Partner airlines

Then you go to the China Southern page where all the information is presented.

https://www.flyingblue.com/en/earn/p...thern-airlines
Old Jun 17, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
"non-SkyTeam flight number" is still too vague.

There are a limited number of non-SkyTeam members that earn, so you first have to restrict it to Skyteam Partner airlines

Since April 1st, XP can no longer be earned on non-SkyTeam members. Are there limited exceptions?
Old Jun 17, 2024, 8:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
Originally Posted by sehgalanuj

Since April 1st, XP can no longer be earned on non-SkyTeam members. Are there limited exceptions?
Yes , please check the FB website for airline partners , agreemements are made case by case , with various airlines and under specific conditions
Old Jun 17, 2024, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Yes , please check the FB website for airline partners , agreemements are made case by case , with various airlines and under specific conditions
Agreed, but that is why I suggested that the website be consulted. But even then, as of April 1st, 2024 the Flying Blue program no longer awards XPs for flying with any non-SkyTeam partners. All other partners that they have are earn/burn partners only.

Since you say, yes, what airlines are you aware of that are non-SkyTeam but award XP currently while having a non-AFKL code on the flight? Just for clarity, a G3 operated flight, but with a AF/KL code, is still an AF/KL flight for this purpose. That is not a G3 flight awarding XP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.