Special Assistance Question

Old Jun 30, 19, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Special Assistance Question

My parents are flying ORD-AMS-CDG in a couple of days on KLM.

If I request special assistance (cannot walk long distance option), does that mean they値l be given a wheelchair? Or do they also have motorized shuttles (and is it possible to request this instead of the wheelchair)?

My parents are in decent shape, but I知 afraid that all of the waking at AMS to change planes will wear them out.

Also, how do they find the assistance...will the be holding the sign with their name after they get off the plane?

Last edited by Traveler56789; Jun 30, 19 at 8:42 pm
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Aeroplan
Usually when passengers require special assistance, they're assisted from the time they check-in at the airport until they off-board the plane and pick up their luggage. It's indeed often with a wheelchair, but can be with anything that fits their needs and what is available.
I would suggest they get in touch with KLM by phone before they leave, so they put a note on their file. And when they show up at the airport (they should be there early enough), they mention it as well. Agents will always be helpful.
For information, passengers requiring assistance also board among the first ones.
Check out here: www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/special_assistance/klm_cares.htm
And here www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/customer_support/customer_support/contact/about/medical_assistance.htm
Old Jul 1, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveler56789 View Post
My parents are flying ORD-AMS-CDG in a couple of days on KLM.

If I request special assistance (cannot walk long distance option), does that mean they値l be given a wheelchair? Or do they also have motorized shuttles (and is it possible to request this instead of the wheelchair)?

My parents are in decent shape, but I知 afraid that all of the waking at AMS to change planes will wear them out.

Also, how do they find the assistance...will the be holding the sign with their name after they get off the plane?
I may be wrong but I believe passengers with assistance (PMR for AF) are asked to stay in the plane until it's empty (makes it easy for the people working the assistance to, well, assist and pick them up). Very unlikely to have motorized shuttles in CDG or AMS, but perhaps in ORD. I don't think you can ask for one or the other, it's gonna be whatever the airport has available. On AF (at least, and I would assume quite similar with KL), if you get out of the plane while an assistance was scheduled, no one will be waiting with a sign.
Traveler56789 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Aeroplan
I replied yesterday morning but my post still doesn't show up... So I do it again.
All airlines offer assistance to their passengers. Most of the time it's indeed a wheelchair, sometimes they have those little golf carts, but it depends on airports.
What I would suggest is they get in touch with KLM, by phone first, so the agent can put a note in their file. And when they show up at the airport, upon dropping their bags off, they mention it again to the agent. They will be accompanied up to the plane. Passengers with assistance board among the first ones. I'm not sure if you can ask for assistance only in a specific airport (AMS in your case), but you don't lose anything by asking. There is no sign when they step of the plane, but someone waiting with wheelchairs, right at the door of the plane. If there's nobody, they should mention it to the flight attendant so someone will be called.
I cannot post any link yet, so google "special assistance by KLM care" and "KLM medical assistance": you should find all the information you need.

Search this Thread