Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Why is it so much easier to gain SkyTeam Gold compared to Star Alliance Gold?

Why is it so much easier to gain SkyTeam Gold compared to Star Alliance Gold?

Old Jun 13, 19, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa, AirFrance
Question Why is it so much easier to gain SkyTeam Gold compared to Star Alliance Gold?

I just felt SkyTeam was so much easier, living in Europe where both flights available pretty much anywhere.

I travel three times in Business class per year (Europe-Asia or Europe-USA). Each of the three trips gives me at least 80XP so *3 = I already receive AirFrance Gold, even with Business Saver fare (2000*3=6000 needed).

For Lufthansa or ANA, each trip gives me about 8000-9000 miles with Business Saver fare so *3 makes it barely Star Alliance Silver.
For Lufthansa or ANA Gold, I have to fly three times in Business non saver fare or like 6 times in saver fare which is not doable for me.

Is it just my impression or it is actually much easier to get AirFrance Gold status compared to Lufthansa or ANA Gold?
Old Jun 13, 19, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
You should check crediting to Aegean (you only need 24k miles, but 4 segments on Aegean). I credit miles to United, since even discount biz fares earn 150%, I believe.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 7:14 am

You can't compare SkyTeam to *A, you need to look at each of the airlines FFP individually, some are easier to gain higher status some are harder, BTW if you start with nothing in FB you need 280XP to get to gold the first time, so your 80*3 doesn't cut it.
Old Jun 13, 19, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by Slussen View Post
I travel three times in Business class per year (Europe-Asia or Europe-USA). Each of the three trips gives me at least 80XP so *3 = I already receive AirFrance Gold, even with Business Saver fare (2000*3=6000 needed).
It's not.

I depart in two weeks on my annual *A J trip to the US. 1300 paid, Star Alliance Gold in one trip (with A3)
Old Jun 13, 19, 8:40 am

Programs: FB Platinum, BAEC Silver, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
It's not.

I depart in two weeks on my annual *A J trip to the US. 1300 paid, Star Alliance Gold in one trip (with A3)
@irishguy28, do you also do the 4 A3 flights to lower the qualification threshold? Or do you manage to gain the remaining miles on other flights in the year?
Old Jun 13, 19, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joyu12 View Post
@irishguy28, do you also do the 4 A3 flights to lower the qualification threshold? Or do you manage to gain the remaining miles on other flights in the year?
I haven't needed to take any A3 flights in the past 2 or 3 years. If you pick your routing and airlines sufficiently, you can exceed the 24k tier miles [the amount needed to retain Gold] in a single, inexpensive J trip - or at least get close enough that your additional/normal *A flights will push you over the top.

(There's also the ability to buy a certain number of Tier Miles, should it come to that, each qualification period)
Slussen likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 13, 19 at 8:51 am
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: A3*G, FB Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
It's not.

TAP?
Slussen likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're a 200% earning airline indeed, but this trip is with AC
Slussen likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 1:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Miles & More pleb
@Slussen you are completely right. I fly with *A and ST on roughly equal parts but I wont even hit FT with LH. (Taking a long haul accross new year made that even worse) Whereas fb silver is guaranteed auto renewal, and this year I will possibly hit gold.

100k miles for SEN is a pretty hard target if you dont fly for work (or in F)
Slussen likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: