Voucher IDB Compensation?

Old Jun 13, 19, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M
Voucher IDB Compensation?

Hi everyone,
This morning my wife was scheduled FRA-CDG on AF1519. She got a notification early this morning that AF could not accommodate her on her booked flight and that she had been automatically rebooked to AF1619, 90 mins later. Shortly after, we got an Email from AF with an E-Voucher seemingly for IDB in the amount of 175, which we can apparently use within one year towards a booking with AF.

Whilst I'm happy that the automatic rebooking didn't cost too much time, the IDB voucher doesn't really help as we don't plan on flying with AF any time in the near future (normally with LH out of FRA). I'm pretty sure that under EU regulations, they are liable to give us 200 cash for IDB. Is this worth fighting for, or should we just leave it? Or minimally, is it possible to the 175 voucher paid out in cash?

For what it's worth, the checkin agent said the reason for the bump was due to a change in aircraft (smaller a/c).

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 13, 19, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by purch View Post
Whilst I'm happy that the automatic rebooking didn't cost too much time, the IDB voucher doesn't really help as we don't plan on flying with AF any time in the near future (normally with LH out of FRA). I'm pretty sure that under EU regulations, they are liable to give us €200 cash for IDB. Is this worth fighting for, or should we just leave it? Or minimally, is it possible to the €175 voucher paid out in cash?
You are entitled to €125 in cash. This is the €250 for flights of less than 1500km, reduced by 50% because the arrival delay was less than 3 hours.

They always give a voucher (spendable with themselves, KLM, Delta) for more than the cash value.

Check carefully the terms with the voucher. It may already be possible to apply online to have it paid out as cash at the lower amount. In similar situations (with KL, but similar back office set up) the voucher issued can be applied either on their website for the greater amount, or can be "converted" to cash on their website.

If not, use the customer complaints form on the website to set out briefly that rather than the €175 voucher, you want the €125 cash under EC261/2004. No need to explain the history of how you got the voucher; they already paid up, so you just let them know you want the cash instead.

note that I have posted the following only to illustrate that an independent third party (https://www.euclaim.co.uk/free-flight-check#/success) corroborates that the amount owed is €125. I do not advise you to use the services of any agent to reclaim the amount. A simple brief request via the customer complaints form should be sufficient to have the money wired to your account.

On another note, your wife's replacement flight is now on its way, but it appears that the flight she was originally booked on has not even left FRA yet...https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-hbxb
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 13, 19 at 4:51 am
Old Jun 13, 19, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 requires that the payment be made in cash (equivalent) unless the carrier and customer negotiate something else. AF should not have presumed that you wanted an EUR 175 voucher rather than EUR 125 cash for exactly the reason you state.

All you need to do is notify AF that you do not want the voucher and ask that you be paid in cash. AF will contact you for bank details.
Old Jun 13, 19, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
You are entitled to 125 in cash. This is the 250 for flights of less than 1500km, reduced by 50% because the arrival delay was less than 3 hours.

Many thanks for the quick and detailed reply! I'm not sure where I saw the 200 figure, apparently that was wrong. Now that it's clear what I am due, I think I will do as you suggest and ask for the payout. Pity we don't use AF/KLM as then we could use the voucher.

On another note, your wife's replacement flight is now on its way, but it appears that the flight she was originally booked on has not even left FRA yet...https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-hbxb
That would have been quite amusing, but it seems FR24 had a hiccup of sorts According to the AF website, the earlier flight landed on time.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
EC 261/2004 requires that the payment be made in cash (equivalent) unless the carrier and customer negotiate something else. AF should not have presumed that you wanted an EUR 175 voucher rather than EUR 125 cash for exactly the reason you state.

All you need to do is notify AF that you do not want the voucher and ask that you be paid in cash. AF will contact you for bank details.
Many thanks for the reply, I will do that!

Search this Thread