Air France and KLM Flight on Same Itinerary

Old Jun 5, 19, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Air France and KLM Flight on Same Itinerary

I booked an award flight through flying blue for ORD-AMS-CDG. The first leg (ORD-AMS) is on Air France and the second leg (AMS-CDG) is on KLM.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. Does Air France and KLM share the same check in counter at ORD? If not, can I check in with either? And can I pickup boarding passes for both segments at once even though one is operated by AF, and the other by KLM
  2. Will my checked bags get transferred automatically through my connection in Amsterdam, or do I have to pick them up and recheck with KLM on the second leg? I assume they'll be automatically transferred, but want to confirm

Thank you!
Old Jun 5, 19, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Hello
1) yes, they use the same counters and you will obtain both BP in ORD
2) your bags will be checked through to CDG. You don't need to collect them in AMS.
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Traveler56789 View Post
I booked an award flight through flying blue for ORD-AMS-CDG. The first leg (ORD-AMS) is on Air France and the second leg (AMS-CDG) is on KLM.
It's a detail but the bolded part is wrong. ORD-AMS is operated by KLM. AMS-CDG can be operated by either KL or AF.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, Goldorak. I appreciate the quick response.
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:47 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
It's a detail but the bolded part is wrong. ORD-AMS is operated by KLM. AMS-CDG can be operated by either KL or AF.
Well spoted.

How frustrating to see how many ignorant North Americans can snatch award seats without ever setting foot on an AF/KL plane.

Can't blame them, but still...
Old Jun 19, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. I'm booked YVR-AMS-CDG departing June 20th, arriving CDG June 21st, then CDG-RAK on June 22nd, but all on the same ticket/PNR. I got the KLM email reminding me to check in for my trip to Marrakech, but it turns out I was only able to check in for the YVR-AMS-CDG legs. Is this because CDG-RAK is more than 30 hours out and is on AF and not KLM? I just thought it was odd because I've always been able to get all my boarding passes at once....
Old Jun 19, 19, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. I'm booked YVR-AMS-CDG departing June 20th, arriving CDG June 21st, then CDG-RAK on June 22nd, but all on the same ticket/PNR. I got the KLM email reminding me to check in for my trip to Marrakech, but it turns out I was only able to check in for the YVR-AMS-CDG legs. Is this because CDG-RAK is more than 30 hours out and is on AF and not KLM? I just thought it was odd because I've always been able to get all my boarding passes at once....
youíll be able to check-in for RAK 30hrs before. Itís not exactly a connection here as you overnight in Paris.
Old Jun 19, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

youíll be able to check-in for RAK 30hrs before. Itís not exactly a connection here as you overnight in Paris.
Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 19, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
Well spoted.

How frustrating to see how many ignorant North Americans can snatch award seats without ever setting foot on an AF/KL plane.

Can't blame them, but still...
Really? Such a silly and nasty remark without facts.
rickg523 and HalconBCN like this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 1:33 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post

Really? Such a silly and nasty remark without facts.
It may be judged nasty (matter of opinion), but certainly not silly.

The OP booked an award seat. If he had accumulated FB miles by flying AF/KL he would certainly not have asked the question he asked.
Old Jun 20, 19, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
It may be judged nasty (matter of opinion), but certainly not silly.

The OP booked an award seat. If he had accumulated FB miles by flying AF/KL he would certainly not have asked the question he asked.
Yeah, right. And only North Americans could make such a egregious error demanding a snarky response that only a Euro would waste his time posting.
What the heck is that??
glennhaak and HalconBCN like this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Yeah, right. And only North Americans could make such a egregious error (...)
Certainly not. But only North Americans can accumulate zillions of points with credit cards and then snatch award seats in numbers reducing available affordable inventory for European frequent flyers (not frequent shoppers).

Nothing more meant in my post. You will see that many on this forum share the same opinion.
irishguy28, Mirk and glennhaak like this.

Last edited by carnarvon; Jun 23, 19 at 6:13 am
Old Jun 20, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Always a fine line between humor and respect. For sure the intention was not to offend. But the tone was not nice. Personally I wouldn't like being called an "ignorant European" on the Delta forum if I did not know whether a codeshare route was being operated by Delta, Alaska Airlines, AM etc.
Old Jun 20, 19, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN View Post
Personally I wouldn't like being called an "ignorant European" .
But you can't be ignorant AND European!
Kidding of course.
I agree with you about the unpleasant tone brought by the use of the word. Was not meant to be insulting.
HalconBCN likes this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 7:39 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold; Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by HalconBCN View Post
Always a fine line between humor and respect. For sure the intention was not to offend. But the tone was not nice. Personally I wouldn't like being called an "ignorant European" on the Delta forum if I did not know whether a codeshare route was being operated by Delta, Alaska Airlines, AM etc.
For what it's worth, Delta and Alaska don't codeshare anymore. They broke up a few years ago when Delta decided to make Seattle a hub, directly competing with Alaska there.

Search this Thread