DUS Check-in- rude, ignorant, agressive

Old May 27, 19, 3:19 am
LOI
Original Poster

Programs: NH DIA, Flying Blue Platinum, AA Plat
DUS Check-in- rude, ignorant, agressive

my wife, FB Gold member for many years, just checked-in at DUS for a KLM flight to Busan, Korea, via AMS and NRT. Check-in lady, which is obviously not from KLM, says "no, you cannot check your bag all the way. First point of entry Narita: in China you have to pick up your bags". When we politely mention that Narita is not an airport in China, PUS is in Korea, and international transfers do not require going through customs, the lady goes wild and aggressive. Then comes the baggage: Flying Blue clearly states that Gold Members are entitled to one piece of extra baggage on Sky Team flights. The lady says "my computer shows only 1 piece and I can only do what my computer says". She does not look at a screen shot, nor wants to take the phone to talk to an agent, and refuses to give her name. Sorry KLM- this is completely unacceptable.
Old May 27, 19, 3:37 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by LOI View Post
my wife, FB Gold member for many years, just checked-in at DUS for a KLM flight to Busan, Korea, via AMS and NRT. Check-in lady, which is obviously not from KLM, says "no, you cannot check your bag all the way. First point of entry Narita: in China you have to pick up your bags". When we politely mention that Narita is not an airport in China, PUS is in Korea, and international transfers do not require going through customs, the lady goes wild and aggressive. Then comes the baggage: Flying Blue clearly states that Gold Members are entitled to one piece of extra baggage on Sky Team flights. The lady says "my computer shows only 1 piece and I can only do what my computer says". She does not look at a screen shot, nor wants to take the phone to talk to an agent, and refuses to give her name. Sorry KLM- this is completely unacceptable.
Bad experience indeed.

How did it eventually turn out?

Did you try to reach KLM? Gold FB must have a dedicated number.
Old May 27, 19, 3:49 am

Programs: FB Silver, ANA, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
Gold FB must have a dedicated number.
Unlike for Plats, Gold has no dedicated number. You call the regular numbers, you'll be recognised as Gold when you input your FB number. This eventually puts you ahead in the line.

Regarding OPs experience, it's indeed bad. I'm used to clueless agents in ZRH, but this tops everything. Definitely complain to KL!
Old May 27, 19, 7:06 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
I'm used to this (or even worse) type of service at SDQ. AF agents don't know anything and just go by whatever they have written in their little notebook. Even supervisors are ignorant of AF rules, Skyteam Elite Benefits, etc.
Old May 27, 19, 8:33 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by KL803 View Post
Unlike for Plats, Gold has no dedicated number. You call the regular numbers, you'll be recognised as Gold when you input your FB number. This eventually puts you ahead in the line. (...)
I had forgotten. Not quite as good, but a bit like a dedicated number, isn't it?

Would really be interesting to know how it ended up, as retrieving luggage to check in again would have been a pain (if possible at all)!
Old May 27, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
I'm used to this (or even worse) type of service at SDQ. AF agents don't know anything and just go by whatever they have written in their little notebook. Even supervisors are ignorant of AF rules, Skyteam Elite Benefits, etc.
So how do you deal with it ? cause after a while things should be corrected and every agents should be trained properly
Old May 27, 19, 10:51 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat (RIP), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
So how do you deal with it ? cause after a while things should be corrected and every agents should be trained properly
By not flying this airline. Only way they get the message.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 27, 19, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
German schools have a reputation for being good and people in Germany generally are "internationally aware" so I'm shocked that an airport agent in Germany doesn't know that NRT is Japan, PUS is South Korea, they're different countries, and neither one is part of China.

OTOH, in the USA this sadly would not surprise me.

If the OP's Gold wife is forced to pay for a bag, KLM should refund the fee.
Twickenham likes this.
Old May 27, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
By not flying this airline. Only way they get the message.
yes thanks but i needed his answer . one customer not flying with them is nothing . If at least thousands just dissapear in the same day then things might change
Old May 27, 19, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
These were not AF or KLM agents.
There were third-party outsourced agents. One hour they man the desks for Turkish Airlines, the other hour for Easyjet, yet another hour for KLM.
How in the world could they recognize all the different rules?
Payment is bad. Do not expect much from them.
Old May 27, 19, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Because it comes with the job?

Johan
Twickenham and Travelshootaz like this.
Old May 27, 19, 2:47 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
These were not AF or KLM agents.
There were third-party outsourced agents. One hour they man the desks for Turkish Airlines, the other hour for Easyjet, yet another hour for KLM.
Payment is bad. Do not expect much from them.
That is not good enough. KLM should ensure their outsourced agents understand KLM rules. Otherwise bad outsourcing.
Travelshootaz likes this.
Old May 27, 19, 3:03 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
I politely explain the rules to no avail because "they know how to do their job". I was once flying in Economy and I had to push to have them look at a printer chart with the cards eligible to get a lounge invitation and priority baggage because they did not understand the concept of being Skyteam Elite Plus, in their minds only FB Elite Plus are entitled to benefits. They are not familiar with all the French entry formalities, as I had a special residence card that apparently they didn't see often and every time I have to show them a print out of the Schengen entry requirements for France mentioning this document.

I have sent emails, spoke about this with someone from AF at an AF/DL event in Paris, things have never changed. So I gave up, and if I need to fly AF from this particular station, I bring everything printed in Spanish. Obviously this wouldn't be a reason to stop flying AF from there, but I prefer to fly via JFK and avoid the COI 777 altogether.
Old May 27, 19, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by LOI View Post
Then comes the baggage: Flying Blue clearly states that Gold Members are entitled to one piece of extra baggage on Sky Team flights. The lady says "my computer shows only 1 piece and I can only do what my computer says".
If any of the flights are non-SkyTeam codeshares, for example if NRT PUS is actually a JL-operated flight, then the extra allowance for FB status doesn't apply (or at least not for those segments). If that was the case for your wife's itinerary, then I suppose the computer was correct. There's no excuse for the check-in agent to be rude and aggressive, but I would not expect to be able to check an extra bag for free in such a situation.
Old May 27, 19, 6:31 pm

Not true! The baggage allowance for an itinerary is mentioned on the ticket and it is normally valid for the entire trip and not only for some legs. This is obviously not the case if some legs are flown on separate tickets.
Thysk likes this.

Search this Thread