Upgrade Booking

Old May 26, 19, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Upgrade Booking

Dear all,

I want to book a ticket from Paris to the US in February 2020. The problem is that due to our travel policy, the ticket has to be purchased by my employer through our travel agency. Once the ticket is issued I would like to upgrade from Premium Economy to Business using miles.

Is there a way to find out prior to buying the ticket (through my agency) how much upgrade availability there is on a given flight and how expensive the upgrade will be in miles?

Michael
Old May 26, 19, 1:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum
There may be better ways of doing it, but I would run a dummy booking for a business award flight and find the flight with the lowest number of miles required. I imagine that the W to J upgrade will be some percentage of this, but will depend on the exact booking class of your ticket. You might be able to maximize this by selecting a flight where the cheaper W buckets are already full although this far out this is unlikely.
Old May 26, 19, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Perfect. Thank you!
Old May 26, 19, 9:12 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Premium to Business upgrade with miles (before check-in) remains at a specific rate depending on the fare class:
From A: 30,000 miles
From S: 15,000 miles
From W: 10,000 miles

Source: AirFrance Twitter Account
Old May 27, 19, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
Premium to Business upgrade with miles (before check-in) remains at a specific rate depending on the fare class:

Is there more of this info available? E.g. KL miles
Old May 27, 19, 7:39 am
formerly B7e7US

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by r0gerthat View Post
There's an old thread with more info, but the best way is to contact AF directly by phone, Twitter, Facebook Messenger, etc.
Old May 27, 19, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Areen't AF and KLM miles all FB?

BTW the cost in DL miles for a DL operated flight is 40,000 one way TATL.
Old May 27, 19, 6:05 pm
formerly B7e7US

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Areen't AF and KLM miles all FB?

BTW the cost in DL miles for a DL operated flight is 40,000 one way TATL.
They are. I was referring to upgrading KL flights as opposed to AF flights.
Old May 27, 19, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but this assumes you are upgrading to Business Class with the award bucket fare letter O.

if you are a FB Elite and you are booked in Premium Economy fare class W, you can upgrade to Business Class with the fare class Z, which adds availability. The upgrade cost, however, would be 22,500 miles.

I do that all the times when on flying JFK-CDG on my corporate/business trips. Our policy guidelines is no more than $3,000 R/T on AF. Sadly, that means no business class.

I ask the travel agency to book everything in W both ways, and pay for the upgrades in miles (total 45,000 miles decent).

If both ways in W result in a pricing above $3,000, I ask the travel agency to to combine one leg in W with the other on S or A, whichever is below $3,000, then, once the ticket is issued, I ask the travel agent to upgrade to W with my own money on the relevant leg. Average cost is $400.

Award Z has usually very good availability, and the net cost of the upgrade on both legs is ~18,000 miles:
- roughly 2,700 x 8 = 21,600 miles earned on flights
- 2,500 x 2 = 5,000 miles earned via Amex AF Plat
- minus 22,500 miles x 2 = 45,000 miles
- NET COST = 18,400 miles + $400 out of pocket

Some might not find this a good deal, but it works for me and I am willing to pay that and secure my J seats in advance rather than waiting for the random offers at H-56.

Cheers,
-vinnyc
Old May 28, 19, 8:23 am
formerly B7e7US

Originally Posted by vinnyc View Post

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but this assumes you are upgrading to Business Class with the award bucket fare letter O.

if you are a FB Elite and you are booked in Premium Economy fare class W, you can upgrade to Business Class with the fare class Z, which adds availability. The upgrade cost, however, would be 22,500 miles.

I do that all the times when on flying JFK-CDG on my corporate/business trips. Our policy guidelines is no more than $3,000 R/T on AF. Sadly, that means no business class.

I ask the travel agency to book everything in W both ways, and pay for the upgrades in miles (total 45,000 miles decent).

If both ways in W result in a pricing above $3,000, I ask the travel agency to to combine one leg in W with the other on S or A, whichever is below $3,000, then, once the ticket is issued, I ask the travel agent to upgrade to W with my own money on the relevant leg. Average cost is $400.

Award Z has usually very good availability, and the net cost of the upgrade on both legs is ~18,000 miles:

Some might not find this a good deal, but it works for me and I am willing to pay that and secure my J seats in advance rather than waiting for the random offers at H-56.

Cheers,
-vinnyc
Very good cost analysis.
Old May 28, 19, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by vinnyc View Post

Cheers,
-vinnyc
That's actually quite a good strategy. Anyone know how this would work on KL and what the miles are?
I couldn't find that other thread that was mentioned before, so if anyone knows the link, that's appreciated as well
Old May 28, 19, 6:20 pm
formerly B7e7US

That's actually quite a good strategy. Anyone know how this would work on KL and what the miles are?
I couldn't find that other thread that was mentioned before, so if anyone knows the link, that's appreciated as well
As MSPEconomist mentioned, KL and AF miles are the same (FlyingBlue). It will work the same way on KL, except that KL only has Economy and Business, so you will need to spend the necessary miles from Economy to Business. The best way to know what the current rates is to contact KLM as I proposed before, unless someone has recently upgraded from Y to C and can provide their input.
Old May 29, 19, 5:34 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (platinum)
Another strategy I would recommend is considering a departure from ZYR (Bruxelles Midi). Little trouble but often hudge savings.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: