My accompany who has no FB status?

Old May 22, 19, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa, AirFrance
Question My accompany who has no FB status?

I purchased both at the same time, my ticket and my friend's ticket to Berlin from Paris. I have FB Gold status but he doesn't. I know I can bring him to lounge but what about the priority check in and the priority boarding?

Can he come with me during the priority boarding or does he have to wait?

Thanks!

Last edited by Slussen; May 22, 19 at 4:52 am Reason: Clarifying
Old May 22, 19, 5:03 am

Programs: FB Gold & Petroleum
Priority check in: depending on the person guarding the line but normally not a problem.

Priority boarding is in my experience more strictly enforced.
Old May 22, 19, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Boturham View Post
Priority check in: depending on the person guarding the line but normally not a problem.

Priority boarding is in my experience more strictly enforced.
At check in, you need to go to the counter. The agent can add “Sky Priority” on your non status partner’s boarding pass. Then afterwards, fast track at security, lounge access and priority boarding is not a problem.

easy
Boturham likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 6:33 am

Programs: FB Gold & Petroleum
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post

At check in, you need to go to the counter. The agent can add “Sky Priority” on your non status partner’s boarding pass. Then afterwards, fast track at security, lounge access and priority boarding is not a problem.

easy
I never heard of that, is that a formal rule?
Old May 22, 19, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Boturham View Post
I never heard of that, is that a formal rule?
No; it is not....

There are lots of things a desk agent "can" do; that does not mean there are formal rules stating they MUST do it.
Old May 22, 19, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Plat

easy
Does this really work? In Brussels I remember that access to the priority lane is also printed in the QR-code, not really linked to stamping 'Skypriority' on a boarding pass. When I'm traveling with people without status the gate just doesn't open if they follow me in priority security.
Old May 22, 19, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
Does this really work? In Brussels I remember that access to the priority lane is also printed in the QR-code, not really linked to stamping 'Skypriority' on a boarding pass. When I'm traveling with people without status the gate just doesn't open if they follow me in priority security.
well in that case you have always an opportunity to ask an airport employee to open the gates for that person. They will easily help you once there is SkyPriority printed on the boarding pass.
Old May 22, 19, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well in that case you have always an opportunity to ask an airport employee to open the gates for that person. They will easily help you once there is SkyPriority printed on the boarding pass.
If the access control gates reject the barcode/QR code on the boarding pass, then I really doubt that any staff member (if one is even in the vicinity) would have a barcode on them intended for the purposes of opening those gates for the rejected. Instead, they should direct the passenger to the correct gate.

That said, the reason that they have staffmembers guarding access to the priority security line at AMS (at least on the Schengen side) is, because, I don't think the gates at AMS reject non-priority/non-business passengers, and would therefore allow through anybody with a valid non-status/economy boarding pass too, if only those passengers were allowed through to reach the gates.
Old May 22, 19, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
If the access control gates reject the barcode/QR code on the boarding pass, then I really doubt that any staff member (if one is even in the vicinity) would have a barcode on them intended for the purposes of opening those gates for the rejected. Instead, they should direct the passenger to the correct gate.

That said, the reason that they have staffmembers guarding access to the priority security line at AMS (at least on the Schengen side) is, because, I don't think the gates at AMS reject non-priority/non-business passengers, and would therefore allow through anybody with a valid non-status/economy boarding pass too, if only those passengers were allowed through to reach the gates.
things aren’t so complicated as you describe.
I always let the agent at check in desk add “SP” to my guest boarding pass and it’s never a problem to go trough fast track security and SP boarding.
Works in many airports.
Old May 22, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: A3*G, FB Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
I tried several times at Brussels Airport at the check-in and ask for priority access for my companion but this has never worked. There is usually nobody at the fast lane to ask to let us through so I usually use the normal lane if I don't travel alone...

I've always wanted to try to scan my boarding pass, let my companion go through and scan again for myself, but I've never had the guts to try this.
arjen05 likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog View Post
I tried several times at Brussels Airport at the check-in and ask for priority access for my companion but this has never worked. There is usually nobody at the fast lane to ask to let us through so I usually use the normal lane if I don't travel alone...

I've always wanted to try to scan my boarding pass, let my companion go through and scan again for myself, but I've never had the guts to try this.
if you let the check in counter adapt the boarding pass by adding SkyPriority then it’ll also change the QR code and gives access.
Old May 23, 19, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

things aren’t so complicated as you describe.
I always let the agent at check in desk add “SP” to my guest boarding pass and it’s never a problem to go trough fast track security and SP boarding.
Works in many airports.
I sincerely doubt that the barcode changes.

If you managed to get a check-in agent to add "SkyPriority" to your guest's BP, then I think that was more for the humans involved, rather than the technology.

Flashing a status card to take the human gatekeeper's attention, I have never yet been turned away by a "priority" automatic gate with no indication of status on the boarding pass. (For several months last year, I was using my Alitalia status card to obtain status perks, while travelling with my Flying Blue number, as a plain old Ivory, then Silver, on the boarding pass while re-building status back with Flying Blue).
Old May 23, 19, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I sincerely doubt that the barcode changes.

If you managed to get a check-in agent to add "SkyPriority" to your guest's BP, then I think that was more for the humans involved, rather than the technology.

Flashing a status card to take the human gatekeeper's attention, I have never yet been turned away by a "priority" automatic gate with no indication of status on the boarding pass. (For several months last year, I was using my Alitalia status card to obtain status perks, while travelling with my Flying Blue number, as a plain old Ivory, then Silver, on the boarding pass while re-building status back with Flying Blue).
I can not say it works in all airports worldwide but it worked perfectly in the airports I tried.
Old May 24, 19, 4:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
In airports where SP is "humanly" enforced (like CDG), you won't have an issue bringing your friend/colleague with you, including at the boarding gate (just say "he/she's with me" when they check the BP) - at least never had an issue before.

Some airports (like GVA, or BRU from what I just read) will have "automatic" doors for SP passengers. In that case, kindly ask the desk agent to update the boarding pass of your colleague. Tbh, I only had to do it in GVA once, and it worked fine. I agree that because they "can" do it, doesn' mean they "will" do it.

Last edited by offvoice; May 24, 19 at 8:59 am Reason: Typo
Old May 24, 19, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa, AirFrance
Thank you everyone for the comments.

I'm flying tomorrow and just did the online check-in. His boarding pass does not have SP logo, but the boarding zone (in CDG) says "Zone 2" for him which mine does too so I guess, because I bought both tickets at the same time, he is eligible for priority boarding (otherwise his ticket would say zone 5 or zone 6 with no FB membership).

As you guys said, I'll manually or humanly ask for the priority security (it will be crowded I guess on Saturday morning?) and he can come to lounge with me, and zone 2 boarding with me. Guess problems solved!

Thank you very much again!
offvoice likes this.

Search this Thread