Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Air France and KLM introduce Light fares globally - cut hold luggage

Old May 16, 19, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat

Air France and KLM have extended the Light/Standard/Flex fare classes to Africa, the Middle-East, Indian Subcontinent and Asia. This means hold luggage won't be included on the cheapest Economy Class fares almost globally. The upcharge to Standard is 40 one way and another 75 one way from Standard to Flex. Flex gives the options to change tickets without a fee and to cancel for 200.
More info, in Dutch: https://insideflyer.nl/klm-schrapt-w...riefstructuur/
Old May 16, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
If you are silver or higher and flying economy, you can just choose Light and still check-in your luggage without a fee.
Old May 16, 19, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Fares aligned

So now all fares are aligned, all destinations have light/standard/flex.

For me it does come as a surprise, specially for Asian destinations where I thought that they would keep the free luggage due to the ME airlines offering free luggage.

For those wanting to read the full information, see here for the information that was shared with the travel agents this week (in Dutch). If anyone has the English version as well, that would be great.

http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/...770ffed6b1.pdf
Old May 17, 19, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Important to note: China is excluded from the new fare structure.
Old May 17, 19, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
Important to note: China is excluded from the new fare structure.
Vietnam as well.
Old May 17, 19, 1:01 am

Some African destinations (CPT/JNB for example) had 2 free bags... now 0, interesting... yet another incentive to fly KQ
Old May 22, 19, 5:36 pm

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
I also noticed it towards BKK while I was checking flights Basically one week ago I had baggage free... Now for the same price or slightly more no more baggage. Not very wise considering competitors....
Old May 22, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: Many
The usual - cheap - way to cut service.

fifty_two likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Squerez View Post
I also noticed it towards BKK while I was checking flights Basically one week ago I had baggage free... Now for the same price or slightly more no more baggage. Not very wise considering competitors....
yep i noticed it too when i bought my ticket to CGK.. it doesnt affect you much if youre FB silver or higher though
Old May 23, 19, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Deeetcha View Post
yep i noticed it too when i bought my ticket to CGK.. it doesnt affect you much if youre FB silver or higher though
It does affect you as you still get *less* luggage allowance, whether you use it or not is a different story
Old May 23, 19, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
It does affect you as you still get *less* luggage allowance, whether you use it or not is a different story
Originally Posted by Deeetcha View Post
I agree with you guys both but let's say you travel with family/friends: how would you justify to them choosing AF/KLM over competitors to travel to Asia now if other Airlines are cheaper and also include a baggage in the ticket?

Sure with status you can get an extra luggage but that is only for you and not for your companions.

I don't want to sound dramatic or anything since I mostly travel solo, I was just thinking about the possible consequences of this change
Squerez likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElPippo View Post

I agree with you guys both but let's say you travel with family/friends: how would you justify to them choosing AF/KLM over competitors to travel to Asia now if other Airlines are cheaper and also include a baggage in the ticket?

Sure with status you can get an extra luggage but that is only for you and not for your companions.

I don't want to sound dramatic or anything since I mostly travel solo, I was just thinking about the possible consequences of this change
Agree, this might also irk elite members who travel with their family members. Especially during the holidays. Delta for instance extends extra baggage allowance to up to 8 companions on an elite member's reservation. It's a shame KLM is becoming so stingy and is rapidly approaching an all-ancillary model.
Squerez likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 10:32 am

When they announced the light fare for flights to NA it was for all Airlines of the JV (AZ, KL, DL and AF) but it this time it was only for AF/KL so I am wondering if that is something other Airlines will consider or not.

From their point of view it kinda makes sense tho: light, standard and flex on all network instead of changing depending on the destination. Let's see how Others will behave!
Old May 23, 19, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
When they announced the light fare for flights to NA it was for all Airlines of the JV (AZ, KL, DL and AF) but it this time it was only for AF/KL so I am wondering if that is something other Airlines will consider or not.
On TATL, AF/KL/DL/AZ operate an immunised joint venture, and therefore are effectively a single airline. As such, it wouldn't make much sense for them to differentiate as regards baggage policy and charges, when they operate in lockstep in all other matters.

From their point of view it kinda makes sense tho: light, standard and flex on all network instead of changing depending on the destination. Let's see how Others will behave!
You can be sure that more and more "full service" airlines will follow down this path, too!
Old Jun 1, 19, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
On TATL, AF/KL/DL/AZ operate an immunised joint venture, and therefore are effectively a single airline. As such, it wouldn't make much sense for them to differentiate as regards baggage policy and charges, when they operate in lockstep in all other matters.

They do, however, differentiate on seat selection. Delta does not allow advance seat selection on Basic Economy, but KLM does on Light Fares (same rules as other fares.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: