Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Air France and KLM introduce Light fares globally - cut hold luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France and KLM introduce Light fares globally - cut hold luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
The big mistake of these airlines is to have the light/classic/flex in all booking classes.
The "flex" is actually just a slightly discounted change fee paid once upfront that allows for several changes, so it makes sense to keep it for all booking classes.
However, how can you charge 2000 EUR for a Y light ticket and tell the customer at check in that a bag is 100 EUR extra, that he had to buy the classic fare to get a free bag? Or tell him that he cannot change his ticket at all at this price point?
In all logic, light fares should only be available on cheaper booking classes, the classic fares on most non-full fare booking classes and only flex for the full fares like Y B M fares: you don't nickel/dime customers on the most expensive tickets for bags and ticket changes.

Edit: I should have made my little research before posting Y B and M fare CDG BKK are only available in full flex. However they cannot be combined with the cheapest economy fares in the other direction, N class minumum it seems. Then Y and M fares can be combined with a light fare (and most likely classic as well) but the B fare requires a combination with a flex fare. There are still some consistency issues!
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by ranskis; Jun 1, 2019 at 3:39 am
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
They do, however, differentiate on seat selection. Delta does not allow advance seat selection on Basic Economy, but KLM does on Light Fares (same rules as other fares.)
Just as they serve different meals, some have Premium Economy cabins, etc.

Seat fees are not mandatory. Unlike the case with checking a bag, every passenger will be provided with a seat without needing to pay. If a passenger wishes to pay in advance for a "better" service, that's entirely up to them, but not part of the "standard" service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.