Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Possible to book an award ticket seat online for a child UNDER TWO?

Old Apr 29, 19, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

Hi there!

I'm going to book an award ticket for my family of four (two adults, my son [3 years old], and my daughter [1 year old]). I want my daughter to have her own seat for the flight. The availability is there, but the problem is that Air France doesn't let me book a seat for my daughter. If I put it in that she's a child over two, then it invalidates once I enter her sub-two birthday. I'm trying to do it over the phone w/ Air France right now, but I've been on hold for 30 minutes, and the first person transferred me, and now I'm on hold again... If there's some other Flying Blue trick to get this done without human intervention, please enlighten me! Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 19, 2:07 am
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
I would call. I have booked in the past a seat for one of my kids when she was younger than 2 and the only way was to do it over the phone.
Old Apr 30, 19, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by yno View Post
I would call. I have booked in the past a seat for one of my kids when she was younger than 2 and the only way was to do it over the phone.
A trick might be to enter the daughter birthdate with a year minus one (meaning she is over 2 years old). hen leisurely change the date later if you really want to.
Old Apr 30, 19, 2:40 am
yno

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
A trick might be to enter the daughter birthdate with a year minus one (meaning she is over 2 years old). hen leisurely change the date later if you really want to.
Probably you won't be able to change yourself the date of birth in the booking. And if the date doesn't match the ID, there will be a problem at checkin or passport control
Old Apr 30, 19, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Thanks. Got it done. Total time on the phone was one hour, and the call dropped once, but luckily they called me back! So... finally done.
Old Apr 30, 19, 7:13 am
yno

Well done, enjoy your trip :-)
Old Apr 30, 19, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Probably you won't be able to change yourself the date of birth in the booking. And if the date doesn't match the ID, there will be a problem at checkin or passport control
My focus was that 4 available awards on a flight and even more difficult on a return ticket. So grab the seats and a detail like birthdate can be settled by phone later..Even if you don't change the date, I think that there would be little problem for most destinations even if you don't change the birthdate, as long as you use a full award rather than an infant award. I could elaborate but the point has become moot.
Old May 4, 19, 2:18 pm

not to hijack the thread, but I was looking online at NYC->CDG on Air France and I wanted to book in business class with a lap infant. I called up and the representative said they don't allow lap infants in business. I know in first they don't - but I though lap infant was allowed in business, no?
Old May 5, 19, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post
not to hijack the thread, but I was looking online at NYC->CDG on Air France and I wanted to book in business class with a lap infant. I called up and the representative said they don't allow lap infants in business. I know in first they don't - but I though lap infant was allowed in business, no?
They are definitely allowed in J. You apparently spoke to a poorly trained agent. HUCA is your best strategy at that point.
Old May 6, 19, 7:02 am

great thank you. will try that.
Old May 6, 19, 7:11 am
yno

Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post
I confirm: we flew AMS-NYC with a lap child in J, booked KLM, operated by DL (beware that american companies generally don't have seatbelts for lap children)
Old May 16, 19, 9:26 pm

I confirm: we flew AMS-NYC with a lap child in J, booked KLM, operated by DL (beware that american companies generally don't have seatbelts for lap children)
Thanks, does KLM or Air France show Delta space online? or do I need to call for that?
Old May 17, 19, 4:10 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I think you can book the adults online and call to get the infant added at a later stage. However you will be charged 10% of the available adult cash fare plus possible tax for the infant at time of booking the infant. For a one way transatlantic business class flight, that might cost a lot and you might be better off to book a normal award seat in business class if available.

Search this Thread