selecting flights to JFK

Old Apr 19, 19, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

selecting flights to JFK

Dear FTers,

Having spent months reading and researching it's time to get stuck in and book mine and Mrs FR's next trip to the US in early/Mid september.
The plan is for the TATL part to be in business, the domestic stuff in the US as whatever we can get.
I'm desparately trying to scrape enough FB gold and may just make if i stick skyteam over the next months. My wife is also FB silver, but little chance of getting gold.
Our trip will be from Paris to NYC (using the current AF promotion) initially, so my question has now split into 2 distinct parts.

Currently our dates and travel times are a little flexible so i have a range of choices for the flight choice for the TATL bit.
AF business or Delta one?
CDG or ORY?
A380 or A330-300 or 777-200 or 787-9 or... etc?
We did the AF A380 last year, but it was a bit <meh>. And took a long time to board all those business seats.
The 2355 flight from JFK-CDG last year on a 787-9 was great, slept the whole way But, didn't think much of the AF lounge in JFK.
So, any suggestions about what service we should consider. And why?

Secondly, the flights will be around 2600euro, or 330000miles +1000 euro.
I have ~220k miles, Mrs Fr has ~15k, so some way short.
Short of buying 100k miles at huge cost, is there any way to finance the TATL flights than just pay the cash?
Then, i could use the miles for domestic US flights.
Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any advice, and the good reading over the last months.

Cheers,

Mal
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:50 am

Programs: FB, LH
Have you considered a redemption for premium economy followed by OLCI upgrade on the TATL? This is what I did last year for my holiday flight, also being some miles short of 2 pax J redemption. The overall price worked a marvel (EUR 250 / pax extra / TATL). Of course you would run the risk of not finding seats.
Old Apr 21, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by MalFr View Post
Dear FTers,

Having spent months reading and researching it's time to get stuck in and book mine and Mrs FR's next trip to the US in early/Mid september.
The plan is for the TATL part to be in business, the domestic stuff in the US as whatever we can get.
I'm desparately trying to scrape enough FB gold and may just make if i stick skyteam over the next months. My wife is also FB silver, but little chance of getting gold.
Our trip will be from Paris to NYC (using the current AF promotion) initially, so my question has now split into 2 distinct parts.

Currently our dates and travel times are a little flexible so i have a range of choices for the flight choice for the TATL bit.
AF business or Delta one?
CDG or ORY?
A380 or A330-300 or 777-200 or 787-9 or... etc?
We did the AF A380 last year, but it was a bit <meh>. And took a long time to board all those business seats.
The 2355 flight from JFK-CDG last year on a 787-9 was great, slept the whole way But, didn't think much of the AF lounge in JFK.
So, any suggestions about what service we should consider. And why?

Secondly, the flights will be around 2600euro, or 330000miles +1000 euro.
I have ~220k miles, Mrs Fr has ~15k, so some way short.
Short of buying 100k miles at huge cost, is there any way to finance the TATL flights than just pay the cash?
Then, i could use the miles for domestic US flights.
Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any advice, and the good reading over the last months.

Cheers,

Mal

Air France much better than Delta
CDG better than Orly - lounges and airport amenities
Avoid Air France A380 for business class - old seats guaranteed

Try to take the early morning departure to JFK - I generally arrive to near empty immigration at JFK

Others will know more than me about the miles

Old Apr 21, 19, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion - I did initially consider it but business is little more than 100euro more than PE to start with, and from what i read we would only get the XP for the PE flight, not the upgrade to Business.
While i appreciate that it would mean i get the upgrade with the miles i figured the overall cost would be higher.
Old Apr 21, 19, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Good information - thanks.
I had been thinking of the 0800, makes an onward connection much easier
Old Apr 21, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Why aren't you considering La Compagnie A321 NEO?
Great plane.Good service.
Very competitive prices. Given the insane cost of rewards you mention, you'd be paying the same as with AF reward but without having to fork out the miles!!!

Last edited by carnarvon; Apr 22, 19 at 9:17 am
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
When flying AF to JFK Id Always recommend the AF22 inbound. It leaves Paris at 8am what means 2 things : if youre in luck, there wont be too much people at customs when you arrive (main main of international inbound in the US), and you will have to wake up quite early, also meaning there is a good chance you will sleep a bit at the beginning of the flight (especially if you are in J)+ AF22 is the new J.

Did you try the Miles & Cash option AF offers? Its usually more interesting than just buying missing miles.

AF have been offering dirt cheap fares to the US recently in Y. Id recommend keeping your miles for intra-US or other more exotic destinations or last minute bookings. I bought yesterday CDG-JFK for Oct. at 350 R/T but LAX was available for 380. Perhaps worth considering ? Of course not in J.
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions.
All now booked on AF22/AF9, but only just as i nearly forgot the deadline

Now for hotels, connections, and the domestic US flights....

Mal

Search this Thread