AF or KQ?

Old Apr 15, 19, 6:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 404
AF or KQ?

Has anyone flown NBO-CDG with AF in J recently? How is the catering?
With KQ (to AMS) you get 2 full meals!
Also, is it possible to short check luggage to CDG - proving that the last leg will definitely be flown?
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MAN
Programs: FB Platinum
Posts: 223
I flew CDG-NBO in KQ J in January of this year. The seats were good but the food and drink offering was quite poor compared to AF. I would be happy to fly KQ again if the price was right, but AF/KLM would be first choice.
PeteM01 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:46 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by PeteM01 View Post
I flew CDG-NBO in KQ J in January of this year. The seats were good but the food and drink offering was quite poor compared to AF. I would be happy to fly KQ again if the price was right, but AF/KLM would be first choice.
Thanks for your feedback , what about the return leg (NBO to CDG)?
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:09 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MAN
Programs: FB Platinum
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
Thanks for your feedback , what about the return leg (NBO to CDG)?
The rtn was also KQ, but overnight so I was not bothered about the food or drink. I slept well, as I remember.
PeteM01 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 1:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CMN,DXB,NBO,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 115
I flew the route regularly last year (twice a month)

Both operate the Dreamliner, KQ is 2/2/2 and AF 1/2/1 so I'd go with AF for day time flight to have a window seat while having aisle access. As far as I can remember, KQ is red-eye out of NBO, daytime return, and AF is the other way around (overnight from CDG - departing @8pm or something like that, return flight leaving at 8am from NBO). TBH, I did sleep better on KQ, due to an incredibly comfy, though ugly, blanket, while AF was not that good (still a good J though). IFE is better on AF, so is catering (in my opinion). J class is also smaller on KQ (best choice by then was to fly KLM's 747 with throne J seats overnight out of NBO, but I don't think they fly it there anymore).

In nutshell : day-time flight : AF without hesitation. Red-eye : I did sleep better on KQ, as did PeteM01 from what I understood

Regarding short-checking the luggage, I remember that AF told me I could ask in NBO for them to only label them to Paris (I was on a NBO-CDG-LHR, planing to get off at CDG), but they told me that 275 EUR would be ask in Paris to collect my luggage (whatever that means, not quite sure how it would actually happen).

Last edited by offvoice; Apr 16, 19 at 1:59 am Reason: typo
offvoice is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 2:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,511
KQ is indeed very comfy for sleeping, although it feels like not all seats are equal length when fully flat, in recent experience it feels like 1C>3D>4D.
Catering and IFE are better on AF (although no experience on this specific route) but I like the KQ crew better and catering on the 787 is good, so all in all if I had to choose I'll probably go by which timing works better.
Ditto is offline  
Old Apr 17, 19, 3:23 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by PeteM01 View Post
The rtn was also KQ, but overnight so I was not bothered about the food or drink. I slept well, as I remember.
Yes, 110% agree with you, but only during the European winter season - as KQ112 connects easily to many destinations! Once seatbelts signs are off, time to deep dive in a good/long sleep .
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Apr 17, 19, 4:01 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by offvoice View Post
I flew the route regularly last year (twice a month)

Both operate the Dreamliner, KQ is 2/2/2 and AF 1/2/1 so I'd go with AF for day time flight to have a window seat while having aisle access. As far as I can remember, KQ is red-eye out of NBO, daytime return, and AF is the other way around (overnight from CDG - departing @8pm or something like that, return flight leaving at 8am from NBO). TBH, I did sleep better on KQ, due to an incredibly comfy, though ugly, blanket, while AF was not that good (still a good J though). IFE is better on AF, so is catering (in my opinion). J class is also smaller on KQ (best choice by then was to fly KLM's 747 with throne J seats overnight out of NBO, but I don't think they fly it there anymore).

In nutshell : day-time flight : AF without hesitation. Red-eye : I did sleep better on KQ, as did PeteM01 from what I understood

Regarding short-checking the luggage, I remember that AF told me I could ask in NBO for them to only label them to Paris (I was on a NBO-CDG-LHR, planing to get off at CDG), but they told me that 275 EUR would be ask in Paris to collect my luggage (whatever that means, not quite sure how it would actually happen).
Great comment so far, many thanks!
My own mistake, very sorry - I should have mentioned that flying back from Entebbe (Uganda), so the choices left are, either KQ (NBO-AMS-FRA) or AF( NBO-FRA) both in the early morning!
It's very fustrating to do not be able take the direct KL EBB-AMS-FRA, even at the same price range with the refurb A330!
These flights will happen on a Sunday, enough time to be at work on Monday morning! Obviously, for personal reason the night is better on KQ - but not because of the blanket, but because of the IFE selection plus - as you Guys said the comfy seat . I flew only once NBO-CDG with AF, last year in economy, and despite the greetings and the warm words from the hostesses throughout the flight - no one could be impressed by the ridiculous service and the (unfortunate) terrible delay upon landing on time in Paris - but stuck one hour on the apron waiting for a parking position to be freed at CDG.
On a JNB - CDG - FCO trip 3 years ago, ticketing agent repriced the fare/ticket only €70/pp or equivalent in ZAR, why a such difference? (just curious only)

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Apr 17, 19 at 4:07 pm
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Apr 17, 19, 4:34 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
KQ is indeed very comfy for sleeping, although it feels like not all seats are equal length when fully flat, in recent experience it feels like 1C>3D>4D.
Catering and IFE are better on AF (although no experience on this specific route) but I like the KQ crew better and catering on the 787 is good, so all in all if I had to choose I'll probably go by which timing works better.
Cool tip, cheers mate! First row on KQ tends to be avoided at all cost because of the TV screen size. Why 1C/4D are better than any others? I usually like to select a seat in row 2 - as more choices for everything
However never been in the 2nd smaller cabin - too noisy during boarding and near the engines.
Timing may (will) depend, how likely will AF allow the short check-in bag (not a big deal but who knows?) to Frankfurt, considering that a trip back to Paris will follow....
As said before (You did not know - so don't worry ), choices are EBB-NBO-CDG-FRA or EBB-NBO-AMS-FRA, departing both at the same time/price from Uganda!!
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:33 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 13,954
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
Timing may (will) depend, how likely will AF allow the short check-in bag (not a big deal but who knows?) to Frankfurt, considering that a trip back to Paris will follow....
They won’t do it.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:40 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,511
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
Cool tip, cheers mate! First row on KQ tends to be avoided at all cost because of the TV screen size. Why 1C/4D are better than any others? I usually like to select a seat in row 2 - as more choices for everything
However never been in the 2nd smaller cabin - too noisy during boarding and near the engines.
Timing may (will) depend, how likely will AF allow the short check-in bag (not a big deal but who knows?) to Frankfurt, considering that a trip back to Paris will follow....
As said before (You did not know - so don't worry ), choices are EBB-NBO-CDG-FRA or EBB-NBO-AMS-FRA, departing both at the same time/price from Uganda!!
Actually 4D feels like the shortest of them all, and what's wrong with the TV size? It may be smaller but also much closer than on other seats.
I didn't find the 2nd smaller cabin noisy in any way, but my preference so far is the forward cabin.

While it is a day flight, you have a very early start so I'd probably go for KQ due to the better seats for sleeping (but no personal experience on AF 787, just based on reading here)
Ditto is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 5:00 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
They won’t do it.
How do you 100% know for sure this scenario?
Maybe, luck played a part of it, but AF team at an outstation (in JNB) allowed it a 3 years ago – of course not for free! Do you mean it's gone?

Out of curiosity, how much would be the fare adjustement to drop the bag in CDG – considering that, once again flights to FRA will be – for 101% flown?

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Actually 4D feels like the shortest of them all, and what's wrong with the TV size? It may be smaller but also much closer than on other seats.
I didn't find the 2nd smaller cabin noisy in any way, but my preference so far is the forward cabin.

While it is a day flight, you have a very early start so I'd probably go for KQ due to the better seats for sleeping (but no personal experience on AF 787, just based on reading here)


For the TV screen, more than the size; the main reason is that is impossible to keep them up and on during take off and landing – that's clearly cutting off 40 to 50 minutes or more to a film or music session on the entire flight!

Never "stayed" in the second cabin – due to the heavy traffic upon boarding (and lack of choice for seat).
Your experiences matche with other FT members though! Thus, many thanks for your precious input Ditto.
As nobody could clearly answer to the main question, for this reason, Air France was chosen on both long haul legs ( to Bujumbura / Burundi outbound ), not for pleasure though – but for just having an insight and be able to compare with Kenya Airwyas and KL to Europe. Despite the long loyalty years to Kenya Airways!

Will try to share the impressions here if needed and requested!

Once again, many thanks for all who helped!

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Apr 21, 19 at 5:13 pm
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:24 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,511
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
For the TV screen, more than the size; the main reason is that is impossible to keep them up and on during take off and landing – that's clearly cutting off 40 to 50 minutes or more to a film or music session on the entire flight!

You were the one who mentioned size
Your argument would have been valid if KQ had a decent IFE, the last 2 flights on their 787 I could hardly find one movie I wanted to watch, I started watching shortly after boarding and it was done mid-way through the meal service (folding the screen for takeoff isn't 40-50 minutes, probably more like 20) it seems like the list haven't been updated in a very long time. (for comparison with AF/KL I usually find 3-4 movies to watch as they are changing monthly or so)


Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
Never "stayed" in the second cabin – due to the heavy traffic upon boarding (and lack of choice for seat).

What's wrong with the "heavy traffic" upon boarding?
Ditto is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:10 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 13,954
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post

How do you 100% know for sure this scenario?
Maybe, luck played a part of it, but AF team at an outstation (in JNB) allowed it a 3 years ago – of course not for free! Do you mean it's gone?

Out of curiosity, how much would be the fare adjustement to drop the bag in CDG – considering that, once again flights to FRA will be – for 101% flown?


If you want to pay, that’s fine of course. I thought you were asking « for free ». How much ? You should make a search. There are several threads about this with the same question. I think I remember something around €275 (?).
Goldorak is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:01 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,576
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
What's wrong with the "heavy traffic" upon boarding?
I don't see the problem either. And if it really is such a big issue, then just board last.

I've only flown in the second cabin once, on a day flight, and didn't find it noticeably noisier.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread