Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Impact on AF/KL Stock Tickets with 9W Segments Should Jet Airways Cease Operations

Impact on AF/KL Stock Tickets with 9W Segments Should Jet Airways Cease Operations

Old Apr 8, 19, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG

Inviting speculation on how these will be handled, not asking for advice.

But as a matter of fact I am holding an AF stock ticket with 2 9W segments and the origin is a secondary city in India served by neither AF nor KL. I guess I'll be offered rerouting if Jet Airways indeed goes belly up.
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post

But as a matter of fact I am holding an AF stock ticket with 2 9W segments and the origin is a secondary city in India served by neither AF nor KL. I guess I'll be offered rerouting if Jet Airways indeed goes belly up.
Even if they do not go 'belly up' you may have an issue. 9W have handed back most of their aircraft to the lessors and must have cancelled many domestic routes.You may want to proactively check with AF? They handled a similar issue for me back in February and I even received the XP for flight that I took with 6E in the end.

Edit: I see that they are still selling 9W flights through the AF website, even though 9W have now cut inflight entertainment on international routes...

Last edited by PeteM01; Apr 9, 19 at 6:47 am Reason: update
Old Apr 11, 19, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post

Did you get your re-routing? I see that 9W is down to 14 planes today.
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:05 pm

Programs: Many
9W just cut all their flights to/from SIN.
Old Apr 11, 19, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PeteM01 View Post
Did you get your re-routing? I see that 9W is down to 14 planes today.
I'm holding off asking for now. Hoping to ask somewhat closer to the date and be rebooked into booking classes that earn more miles, or if my plans change in between now and then, to angle for refund without penalty.
Old Apr 11, 19, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
The end is approaching very fast...
https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/68836939.cms
Old Apr 11, 19, 11:35 pm

When is your flight and when do you plan to ask ? I have a ticket booked with Air France for travel to US next week and have my origin flight within India and the second flight to Paris operated by Jet Airways. Am I covered by the European rules for compensation for flight cancellations ?
Old Apr 12, 19, 2:00 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by rythym05 View Post
When is your flight and when do you plan to ask ? I have a ticket booked with Air France for travel to US next week and have my origin flight within India and the second flight to Paris operated by Jet Airways. Am I covered by the European rules for compensation for flight cancellations ?
If I am not mistaking also CDG flights have been cancelled. When flights are cancelled in advance (More than 24 hours notice if I am not mistaking) EU rules do not apply. I doubt that AF will be willing to pay for 9W debts, and they are not the ones who will have to compensate you. For now, all 9W cancellations are eligible for refund (I read something about an Indian court order concerning that), but the situation could change rapidly into a real bankruptcy, in which case it becomes very uncertain that you’ll get a refund. However, you would probably be covered by your credit card company if you have booked with a credit card which includes all sorts of insurances (Such as AMEX platinum).

In case this is an AF or KL issued ticket there is a pretty big chance that you can be rebooked. In which case, you should first try to call them. In case its a 9W or third party issued ticket all of the above applies.

Last edited by Zembla; Apr 12, 19 at 2:07 am
Old Apr 12, 19, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
In case this is an AF or KL issued ticket there is a pretty big chance that you can be rebooked. In which case, you should first try to call them. In case its a 9W or third party issued ticket all of the above applies.
AF has just changed an upcoming 9W leg to AF metal with no fuss, same date, class etc. AFKLM clearly accept that 9W is disappearing...
Zembla and Goldorak like this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 2:12 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by PeteM01 View Post
AF has just changed an upcoming 9W leg to AF metal with no fuss, same date, class etc. AFKLM clearly accept that 9W is disappearing...
Thatís good news, and was to be expected on AF or KL issued tickets,
Old Apr 12, 19, 2:45 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus (*A Gold), FB Gold (SkyTeam Elite+), LCAH Gold
I understand the optics and commercial agreements but shouldn't AFKLM stop selling 9W tickets ? I mean most of the searches I did a month or so ago for an upcoming trip were on 9W metal (for scheduling reasons I assume). Had I chosen this option - which I didn't - i would now be dealing with stress / changes that would otherwise be avoidable because the writing has been on the wall.
wall. And the only reason I would have bought flights with 9W would be because KLM suggested so.

Sad for them though as I had a nice flight a while back.
Old Apr 12, 19, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa View Post
I understand the optics and commercial agreements but shouldn't AFKLM stop selling 9W tickets ? I mean most of the searches I did a month or so ago for an upcoming trip were on 9W metal (for scheduling reasons I assume). Had I chosen this option - which I didn't - i would now be dealing with stress / changes that would otherwise be avoidable because the writing has been on the wall.
wall. And the only reason I would have bought flights with 9W would be because KLM suggested so.

Sad for them though as I had a nice flight a while back.
AFKLM have stopped selling 9W flights for the next few days but they are still available for the day that I am due to travel.
Old Apr 12, 19, 3:15 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
But there is hope: Etihad said it wants to invest
Old Apr 12, 19, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla View Post

If I am not mistaking also CDG flights have been cancelled. When flights are cancelled in advance (More than 24 hours notice if I am not mistaking) EU rules do not apply. I doubt that AF will be willing to pay for 9W debts, and they are not the ones who will have to compensate you. For now, all 9W cancellations are eligible for refund (I read something about an Indian court order concerning that), but the situation could change rapidly into a real bankruptcy, in which case it becomes very uncertain that youíll get a refund. However, you would probably be covered by your credit card company if you have booked with a credit card which includes all sorts of insurances (Such as AMEX platinum).

I am very ignorant on these issues.
Let me ask a simple question.
AF(or a TA) issues a ticket on AF stock where some of the flights are AF coded but operated by 9W. When does 9W receive money from the sale of the ticket? If all flights ar AF-coded, I assume that AF has to protect you if 9W folds, right?
Same as above, but some of the flights on the multicity ticket are 9W coded. Does AF have any legal obligation to protect you, e.g. rebook some domestic flight?
Old Apr 12, 19, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
But there is hope: Etihad said it wants to invest
An offer from Delta was also being discussed but does not seem to have materialised.

Search this Thread