KLM- Air Malta shared code and status

Old Apr 7, 19, 10:46 am
Original Poster

KLM- Air Malta shared code and status

Hi
I bought a ticket directly with KLM for a shared code flight operated by Air Malta. Air Malta didn't give me any of the rights associated with my Flying Blue status (Gold), so no extra luggage, priority boarding or check in, lounge, etc.
Then, what's the benefit for me as KLM client to fly with them? (other than reaching the destination, I mean). If I want to deal with Air Malta I buy directly from them, but what I was expecting was a KLM flight operated by Air Malta. Is that always the case with shared codes flights?
Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 19, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
If you have your flights booked under KL flight number, you should have lounge access in both AMS and MLA and you will earn miles and XP in FB.
And yes, what you describe is always the case when flying code-shares outside the alliance of the marketing carrier.
Old Apr 7, 19, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
If you have your flights booked under KL flight number, you should have lounge access in both AMS and MLA and you will earn miles and XP in FB.
And yes, what you describe is always the case when flying code-shares outside the alliance of the marketing carrier.
Even flying with HV doesnít give these perks. I flew AGP-AMS-BLL the other day with HV operating the first leg but a KL coded flight. None of the STE+ perks were available. Not even OLCI. No free luggage. No priority lanes when checking in, at security or boarding, no lounge access, no seat selection at all etc.
I think KLM should inform the pax better what to expect. Because I got very much annoyed for waiting for everything in line.

Its a good business model for KLM, they sell you a Skoda and ask Mercedes prices!
Old Apr 8, 19, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post

Even flying with HV doesnít give these perks. I flew AGP-AMS-BLL the other day with HV operating the first leg but a KL coded flight. None of the STE+ perks were available. Not even OLCI. No free luggage. No priority lanes when checking in, at security or boarding, no lounge access, no seat selection at all etc.
I think KLM should inform the pax better what to expect. Because I got very much annoyed for waiting for everything in line.

Its a good business model for KLM, they sell you a Skoda and ask Mercedes prices!
HV is indeed a worse situation because itís a LCC. But I am quite surprised you didnít have lounge access in AMS I believe you should have had.
To come back to Air Malta, I am pretty sure that you have lounge access on both ends when flying on AF ticket (a recent friend experience). I donít know if KL has different arrangements.
Old Apr 8, 19, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Confirmed for AF-coded ticket on Air Malta:
- lounge access on both ends
- no priority services unless you fly in J
- cabin bagage policy of the partner apply
- unclear for checked bags if this is the AF or partner policy that apply. I believe it should be the AF rule.

I donít know if all this can be transposed to KL-coded tickets.

Old Apr 8, 19, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks
I can confirm I didn't have lounge access in Malta. In AMS I didn't try as the check in with Air Malta took forever (no priority line) so I went straight to the gate.
For sure the conditions are not clear for the passengers. If I buy a KLM flight from KLM, I would expect them to be responsible for their service. This should be part of their shared code agreements.

Last edited by Dania 1581; Apr 8, 19 at 2:57 am
Old Apr 8, 19, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Dania 1581 View Post
Thanks
I can confirm I didn't have lounge access in Malta. In AMS I didn't try as the check in with Air Malta took forever (no priority line) so I went straight to the gate.
For sure the conditions are not clear for the passengers. If I buy a KLM flight from KLM, I would expect them to be responsible for their service. This should be part of their shared code agreements.
In AMS you get all (available) services as per KL policy, meaning for security you could use priority lane, crown lounge access etc., nothing KLM can do about services provided directly by KM (check-in, boarding)
For outstations it is always tricky and inconsistent, for example JU operated KL coded - access to JU lounge in BEG, while JU operated AF coded - access to airport lounge in BEG.

Search this Thread