Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France/KLM - Can you earn XPs when rerouted ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Air France/KLM - Can you earn XPs when rerouted ?

Hello there! I had a random question I didn't really know where to post :

I flew a few months ago CDG-NBO-AMS-CDG

On the return leg, my AMS-CDG flight was cancelled, and I was automatically rerouted by KLM staff on AMS-FRA-CDG on (and that is where it gets interesting) LH! I successfully convinced the lounge staff to get me on an earlier KL AMS-CDG flight. However, here is my question (since cancelled connecting flights are kind of my bread and butter) : if I had have taken the suggested itinerary, what would have been the miles & XP accrual (flights were LH-operated & LH-numbered)? Same as initial booking ? Counted as two segments (so 2 x 5XP) instead of 1 ?

Thanks for your insights!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Send copies of all your "disruption" emails, including the new e-ticket (and also the scanned boarding passes) to Flying Blue.

They will credit you with the miles and XPs that you should have earned if you flew as booked.

This is called "original routing credit".

I have done this many times, never without a problem. Keep your email brief.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:48 am

You could have applied for having your original routing credited to your account (so one flight, 5XP), and most likely also credit the LH flights into a *A FFP.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AF/FB Gold
New Terms and Conditions

General rule:

From section 2.7:
"In the event of a transfer onto an alternative flight due to unforeseen circumstances the Member will gain XP and earn Miles for the flight the Member originally purchased, not for the route flown."
Just like 2.8 (as a little reminder)"In case of upgrades, XP and/or Miles will be awarded based on the initial purchased fare and not on the actual class of service flown."
However, I have been credited in the past for the flown route (easy to plead that you have been delayed etc.), but it was on AF/KL, I doubt you would have much success on LH flights, but some other might have a better experience.

NdG

I wanted to post the source of the T&Cs but I have less than 5 posts so I can only advise you to visit Flying Blue website, and at the bottom of the page, Terms and Conditions.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I've had it where I was credited for both the route flown and the route originally purchased.

The discussion about LH flights is that OP would get XP for original routing (as per T&C) and in addition could credit LH to a *A program, not that he would get 10XP for LH flts, although the OP does question that.
irishguy28 and offvoice like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I've had it where I was credited for both the route flown and the route originally purchased.
The same happened to me, and it was beautiful
The doomed and haroon145 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by lynxy
The same happened to me, and it was beautiful
Flight in J, too. I made gold then earlier than expected
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

The discussion about LH flights is that OP would get XP for original routing (as per T&C) and in addition could credit LH to a *A program, not that he would get 10XP for LH flts, although the OP does question that.
Thank you for the detailed explanation! Clear for the XP and FB; as for the LH credit to *A, I guess it would work except if the issued ticket is non-rev (what I guess could happen : ) )
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offvoice
I guess it would work except if the issued ticket is non-rev (what I guess could happen : ) )
I'm not sure that KLM can issue a "non-rev" ticket on Lufthansa or any non-partner airline. If KLM could book people onto other airlines without having to pay the airline, then they would presumably be far more amenable at rebooking pax onto the competition, and overbooking their own flights!!!!

In many cases, given that the "new" flights are booked only shortly before departure, you will find yourself booked into a full-fare economy class (assuming you are travelling in Economy!).
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm not sure that KLM can issue a "non-rev" ticket on Lufthansa or any non-partner airline. If KLM could book people onto other airlines without having to pay the airline, then they would presumably be far more amenable at rebooking pax onto the competition, and overbooking their own flights!!!!

In many cases, given that the "new" flights are booked only shortly before departure, you will find yourself booked into a full-fare economy class (assuming you are travelling in Economy!).
Could still be non-earning quasi-non-rev fare class, with the payment mechanism being separate from actual ticketing.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
anyone have experience with this recently?

we had 7 hr schedule change on an AF ticket and I want to get rebooked on UA.

thanks!

Last edited by bennytma; Mar 25, 2023 at 6:39 am
Old Mar 25, 2023, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bennytma
anyone have experience with this recently?

thanks!
Is this is a rebooking to a non-ST airline during an irrop (ex : you misconnect or you have a flight cancelled just before taking it), yes, you can ask FB to credit the miles & XP according to your original itinerary. But if the rebooking to a non-ST airline happens weeks/months in advance because of a schedule change, I don't think you can ask for crediting to FB as your ticket is not anymore with AFKL. Other posters here may have a different experience, and I will be happy to be proven wrong on this case, but that's how I feel about it.
Note that having you rebooked to a non-ST airline in this 2nd situation is quite challenging (they will do it only when non possible to rebook you on other ST flights, and in priority AFKL flights).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennytma
Then you should request a full refund from AF. Then you can book and pay for a new ticket for yourself on UA.

AF is under no obligation to rebook you on UA in these circumstances, so the only way you will end up travelling on UA is if you cancel your current ticket and then buy a new ticket on UA for yourself.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Is this is a rebooking to a non-ST airline during an irrop (ex : you misconnect or you have a flight cancelled just before taking it), yes, you can ask FB to credit the miles & XP according to your original itinerary. But if the rebooking to a non-ST airline happens weeks/months in advance because of a schedule change, I don't think you can ask for crediting to FB as your ticket is not anymore with AFKL. Other posters here may have a different experience, and I will be happy to be proven wrong on this case, but that's how I feel about it.
I've gotten an ORC for a flight that was rerouted several weeks in advance (albeit from AF/KL to KL). I don't think the amount of time matters, if your ticket has an "INVOL REROUTE" annotation you can ask for ORC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.