Too complex of a booking - error

Old Mar 21, 19, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Too complex of a booking - error

I made a booking using flying blue points from SFO - CGD - MXP all on AF metal for a single traveler that is not me, when I finished the booking I got an error message saying my query was too complex and to call a ticketing office. The ticketing office told me they cannot tell what caused the error and they cannot make the booking for me, they recommended making the booking again. After making the booking again, I got the same error.

Does anyone know what causes this error and how to fix it? Or if I got an especially bad agent and another agent would be able to help me.

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
No idea what caused the error. When you say you called the ticketing office : did you call FB or AF ? You have to call FB, not AF unless you are FB Platinum and have access to the Plat service line.
carnarvon likes this.
Old Mar 21, 19, 6:38 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA EXP, A3*G, UA *G, LH FTL, CCarlson Gold, HH Gold
I believe it's a fraud prevention issue because you are booking for someone else. It should still place your reservation on hold (note the 6 character confirmation code at the top right of the booking window), so you can call them with that reference and they should be able to finalize the booking.
Old Mar 22, 19, 2:18 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by sfoflyer747 View Post
I made a booking using flying blue points from SFO - CGD - MXP all on AF metal for a single traveler that is not me, when I finished the booking I got an error message saying my query was too complex and to call a ticketing office. The ticketing office told me they cannot tell what caused the error and they cannot make the booking for me, they recommended making the booking again. After making the booking again, I got the same error.

Does anyone know what causes this error and how to fix it? Or if I got an especially bad agent and another agent would be able to help me.

Thanks for your help
In other words, you don't fly AF or KLM or Skyteam airlines. You don't accrue miles on FB by flying. You just transferred points from your CC to a FB account (which you may not even have had for more than a few days or even hours) and want to book a ticket for someone else.

You may have agreed for compensation from the person you are booking the ticket for. Or you may not. Only you would know for sure.

And you are experiencing problems. You are not the first and won't be the last. FB on the phone might be able to help.

P.S. There is no such thing as Flying Blue "points".
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 19, 2:56 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Originally Posted by sfoflyer747 View Post

Thanks for your help
try to book it by separate segments , if it doesnt work check for other days , if none of them work probably there is no availablity or airfrance dont allow such booking
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
try to book it by separate segments , if it doesnt work check for other days , if none of them work probably there is no availablity or airfrance dont allow such booking
As carnavon and oxymore suggested, if the OP has never earned or redeemed FB miles before, opened an account and transferred miles to it (or got miles through a credit card enrollment bonus) and then used those miles to book an award for someone else, this will raise big red unauthorised miles barter/sale flashing lights in FB systems that will require manual intervention to resolve, assuming they are resolvable.
AlvinMaker likes this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
As carnavon and oxymore suggested, if the OP has never earned or redeemed FB miles before, opened an account and transferred miles to it (or got miles through a credit card enrollment bonus) and then used those miles to book an award for someone else
yes iam aware of that

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
this will raise big red unauthorised miles barter/sale flashing lights in FB systems that will require manual intervention to resolve, assuming they are resolvable.
However i was not aware of such specifc mechanism/process in this particular situation

i mean i knew such booking will raise a red flag , and it probably wont be approved (or require further verifications) but i didnt knew that system will not allow it from the beginning

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 25, 19 at 3:23 am
Old Mar 25, 19, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
However i was not aware of such specifc mechanism/process in this particular situation

i mean i knew such booking will raise a red flag , and it probably wont be approved (or require further verifications) but i didnt knew that system will not allow it from the beginning
I guess you have seen the parallel thread: Air France/FB says my 317,000+ MR transfer is FRAUD! Help!
Old Mar 25, 19, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I guess you have seen the parallel thread: Air France/FB says my 317,000+ MR transfer is FRAUD! Help!
No , not yet , sorry i was ''out of office'' during weekend !! and started today at 10am , but thanks for suggestion i follow this thread

i know this kind of problems with us customers but if this block is done by the system upfront , then its a big and positive change

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 25, 19 at 3:51 am
Old Jun 11, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Plat
This happens when you try to book an award right after creating a AF account. Booking will be confirmed with confirmation code but there is no way to ticket it. AF agents will tell you to either go to the airport or wait 2 hours for the award to auto-cancel. Auto-cancelling risks the seats not returning to inventory.

What AF needs to do is to prevent such bookings from getting confirmed in the first place. Instead, redirect the user to call in to make the booking.

Surprised this has been going on for 4+ years and they haven't fixed this bug..
Old Jun 12, 19, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
This happens when you try to book an award right after creating a AF account. Booking will be confirmed with confirmation code but there is no way to ticket it. AF agents will tell you to either go to the airport or wait 2 hours for the award to auto-cancel. Auto-cancelling risks the seats not returning to inventory.

What AF needs to do is to prevent such bookings from getting confirmed in the first place. Instead, redirect the user to call in to make the booking.

Surprised this has been going on for 4+ years and they haven't fixed this bug..
Apparently, your suggestion is exactly what AF system did. But the phone agent was not aware.

But allowing for a provisional booking is not a bad idea, as it allows to confirm the booking if the fraud suspicion proves untrue.
Old Jun 12, 19, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Plat
Well - I called both US and Amsterdam offices and both agents couldn't help me. So AF needs to train their agents, if agents can indeed ticket such "too complex" bookings. .

The simplest and best way - The website should just prevent such bookings in the 1st place, and advise users to call in.
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
Well - I called both US and Amsterdam offices and both agents couldn't help me. So AF needs to train their agents, if agents can indeed ticket such "too complex" bookings. .

The simplest and best way - The website should just prevent such bookings in the 1st place, and advise users to call in.
I don't know if there is any way for them to actually prevent it outright, since it would be a legal booking otherwise.

Search this Thread