Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy FB miles at up to 75% bonus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold (E+) TK Elite (*G) QR Gold (OW Sapphire) IHG Platinum, B&W Diamont, Ascott Gold
Buy FB miles at up to 75% bonus

Until April 10th you can buy Flying Blue Miles, with a bonus of between 40% and 75%.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I saw this, and a 30 second glance revealed that it is hugely not worth the money. It's far too expensive. I would have to be around a 150% bonus before I would be interested. Especially in this climate of dynamic pricing for awards these days.

Unfortunately, there must be some clowns around with no sense of the value of money, who make use of this offer. Otherwise, they would never make the offer, or perhaps make a 100% bonus. Even then, I would only use if for topping up the account to achieve a meaningful award. Now, meaningful awards - what were they?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:35 am

Most people would only use it to top their account for those missing miles...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold (E+) TK Elite (*G) QR Gold (OW Sapphire) IHG Platinum, B&W Diamont, Ascott Gold
There is a value if you are some miles short, of a 50% discount Promo Reward. Or you are, again, a bit short of miles and need some flexibility with a short houl reward ticket.
But that's about it...
fifty_two likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by Concerto
I saw this, and a 30 second glance revealed that it is hugely not worth the money. It's far too expensive. ... Even then, I would only use if for topping up the account to achieve a meaningful award. Now, meaningful awards - what were they?
As is usually the case, these points/miles bonus purchase offers are best used to top-up an account at the time when an award booking is ready to be made.

This current offer from FB at maximal value is $0.0177 per mile, which isn't bad relative to recent offers from AA ($0.0181) and AS ($0.021).

For an example, on 5/22 AF 66 CDG-LAX (J) is $7,255, or 119,500 FB miles. For someone intent on that direct flight on that day, paying $2,115 for those 119,500 (if that person had zero miles in their FB account, which isn't likely) miles isn't a horrible proposition.

Sure, for about the same price you can put together a 25-hour 2-stopper on metal you'd never fly on otherwise, but that wouldn't be a good comparison.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by paris1000
This current offer from FB at maximal value is $0.0177 per mile, which isn't bad relative to recent offers from AA ($0.0181) and AS ($0.021).

For an example, on 5/22 AF 66 CDG-LAX (J) is $7,255, or 119,500 FB miles. For someone intent on that direct flight on that day, paying $2,115 for those 119,500 (if that person had zero miles in their FB account, which isn't likely) miles isn't a horrible proposition.
I think it is not fair to judge the mile's value in a one-way ticket.

The R/T with CDG-LAX on 5/22 then return in 5/29 is only showing $2459 USD. In this case, if someone redeems a ticket at 180k miles R/T plus around $500 tax, the value per mile comes down to $0.109. Even with the lowest redemption (125k miles R/T) will still be $0.0156 per mile.

The only way to achieve a higher redemption value is the promo award, like last month's YUL-CDG at 53k miles R/T + $560 tax ($750 CAD), the lowest ticket price was $3700 CAD (~$2800 USD), thus the value per mile can go up to $0.0422.

There is also the MIA-PAP-PTP-FDF-CAY shuttle can usually have a decent value (in economy, $1200 ticket price at 25k miles R/T).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
However, although having denigrated the offer above, I intend to keep an eye on these offers going forward. Definitely worth it (at 100% bonus level) if topping up for an award, like some of the award tickets I have made to offbeat destinations in Russia.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by tbaiyun
I think it is not fair to judge the mile's value in a one-way ticket.
But that's the manner in which I always book flights -- one route at a time (ie, one-way).

Value to you is relative to R/T pricing, and that's understandable.

Value to me is relative to O/W pricing//seating/metal.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I am surprised that nobody has really run the maths on this and figured out that this deal is potentially a *fantastic* deal. Depends which camp you are in:
  • If you believe that the miles that you obtain/have are worthless to you anyway because there never is the redemption availability that you like (not the right dates, flights, destinations...), then having more miles is still pointless
  • If you have found good usage for FB miles, for instance because on the route that you want to fly you typically find good availability and the money equivalent of the miles used is good, then having more miles is a good thing.
If you are in that second camp, then this deal is potentially very good, and the change of the FB program with spend-based mileage earnings makes a direct comparison possible.

For instance, as a Blue member if you want to get 60,000 miles, you can spend EUR 15,000 on airline tickets, as every EUR spent gives you 4 miles. Alternatively you can spend EUR 935 in this "buy miles" scheme. That is a *fantastic" deal!

The maths is less favourable for Platinum members who get 8 miles for every EUR spent on tickets, so they'd "only" need to spend EUR 7,500 to get 60,000 miles, compared to EUR 936 in this buy miles scheme. Still, this is 8 times less expensive.

Thus: if you need miles, then don't waste your time flying, just buy them. It's a good deal.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
...The maths is less favourable for Platinum members who get 8 miles for every EUR spent on tickets, so they'd "only" need to spend EUR 7,500 to get 60,000 miles, compared to EUR 936 in this buy miles scheme. Still, this is 8 times less expensive.

Thus: if you need miles, then don't waste your time flying, just buy them. It's a good deal.
And the cost-per-mile is even lower when credit card spending and one-time sign-on bonuses are factored in.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:39 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I am surprised that nobody has really run the maths on this and figured out that this deal is potentially a *fantastic* deal. Depends which camp you are in:
  • If you believe that the miles that you obtain/have are worthless to you anyway because there never is the redemption availability that you like (not the right dates, flights, destinations...), then having more miles is still pointless
  • If you have found good usage for FB miles, for instance because on the route that you want to fly you typically find good availability and the money equivalent of the miles used is good, then having more miles is a good thing.
If you are in that second camp, then this deal is potentially very good, and the change of the FB program with spend-based mileage earnings makes a direct comparison possible.

For instance, as a Blue member if you want to get 60,000 miles, you can spend EUR 15,000 on airline tickets, as every EUR spent gives you 4 miles. Alternatively you can spend EUR 935 in this "buy miles" scheme. That is a *fantastic" deal!

The maths is less favourable for Platinum members who get 8 miles for every EUR spent on tickets, so they'd "only" need to spend EUR 7,500 to get 60,000 miles, compared to EUR 936 in this buy miles scheme. Still, this is 8 times less expensive.

Except that nobody in their right mind would buy a ticket solely for the 12,5 cents per mile that you are talking about.
roy2016 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Except that nobody in their right mind would buy a ticket solely for the 12,5 cents per mile that you are talking about.
Except that this was exactly the point I had excluded right in the beginning: if in any case you do not have any use for miles (don't need them, or cannot find availability, or find that award prices are too high) then no offer in the world is attractive. But that has nothing to do with how many EUR you pay to obtain more miles. It has to do with the fact that you simply don't want/need miles. However, *if* - big if - more miles are attractive to you, then this is by far the least expensive and time-consuming way to obtain more of them.
roy2016 and paris1000 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except that this was exactly the point I had excluded right in the beginning: if in any case you do not have any use for miles (don't need them, or cannot find availability, or find that award prices are too high) then no offer in the world is attractive. But that has nothing to do with how many EUR you pay to obtain more miles. It has to do with the fact that you simply don't want/need miles. However, *if* - big if - more miles are attractive to you, then this is by far the least expensive and time-consuming way to obtain more of them.
But your analysis is premised on the EUR15000 or airlines tickets that you buy has no utility whatsoever other than acquiring miles so that all you are buying with your EUR15000 of air tickets is airline miles.

It does not factor in that possibility that the point of buying an airline ticket from A to B and the utility thereof might first and foremost to, uh... , fly from A to B? I know, I know... crazy and ridiculously contrived idea...
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by NickB
But your analysis is premised on the EUR15000 or airlines tickets that you buy has no utility whatsoever other than acquiring miles so that all you are buying with your EUR15000 of air tickets is airline miles.

It does not factor in that possibility that the point of buying an airline ticket from A to B and the utility thereof might first and foremost to, uh... , fly from A to B? I know, I know... crazy and ridiculously contrived idea...
OMG, you make this far too complex again... when in fact there is a very simple statement:

"If you want to obtain miles, then this method is a less expensive way to obtain them than buying air tickets with participating airlines".

Anything wrong with that statement?

Like that, I exclude any discussion if it's worthwhile for someone to have miles or not in the first place, whether you were going to get the award ticket anyway or only now because you can find a less expensive way to obtain the miles, whether there is another benefit in flying, whether maybe other airlines have even better offers, etc.

It's pure math: compare how many EUR do you need to spend to get a certain amount of miles. Answer: less EUR if you buy the miles through this promo than EUR you spend on air tickets that get you the same amount of miles.
glennhaak and paris1000 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OMG, you make this far too complex again... when in fact there is a very simple statement:

"If you want to obtain miles, then this method is a less expensive way to obtain them than buying air tickets with participating airlines".

Anything wrong with that statement?
Yes: because if I need to fly from LHR to CDG and need to buy a ticket for that purpose anyway, the net cost of the miles that I get as a side benefit of acquiring the ticket is exactly zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.