Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy FB miles at up to 75% bonus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Ditto
Even the non-stop flight can be booked for about the same price, and the most expensive I've seen is around 2500€
Yes and yes and no and no ;-)

No: on a one way basis it really does go up to the level that I mentioned in my post (and it does in the day that I need to book).

Yes: you are right, on a return basis it would be less expensive. Prices out at about EUR 4,700 on the day that I was looking at with an inexpensive “phantom” return.

No: even if it was as low as the EUR 2,500/person that you quote then that’s still more cash out for me. I’d be comparing EUR 5,000 for buying the tickets vs EUR 1,650 required to buy the miles that get me the same ticket. Buying the miles is still the better deal in this case.

Yes: the comparison in my initial post overstates the saving because it takes a higher benchmark price. But it doesn’t change the outcome, where it takes less EUR to buy miles than to buy tickets.

In in the end: what is the cash optimum solution for getting two people on the AF nonstop flight on that particular date, given that I have 84,000 miles and given the various price points? Whichever scenario I take, it’s less that buying the ticket *in this specific case*.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Yes: you are right, on a return basis it would be less expensive. Prices out at about EUR 4,700 on the day that I was looking at with an inexpensive “phantom” return.
That's very surprising, given the 'dynamic' prices for mileage tickets I would have expected that if that is the cheapest revenue ticket, mileage would be in the range of 150-200K if not more. (or perhaps that's the price now after 6 award tickets were booked)

No: even if it was as low as the EUR 2,500/person that you quote then that’s still more cash out for me. I’d be comparing EUR 5,000 for buying the tickets vs EUR 1,650 required to buy the miles that get me the same ticket. Buying the miles is still the better deal in this case.
I fully agree that buying the missing miles for the one ticket is the better deal, but for the other ticket you paid €1650-€165 = €1485 + €270 odd in tax = €1755, so any phantom return for less than that would be the cheaper option

Yes: the comparison in my initial post overstates the saving because it takes a higher benchmark price. But it doesn’t change the outcome, where it takes less EUR to buy miles than to buy tickets.
On that we agree
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Even the non-stop flight can be booked for about the same price, and the most expensive I've seen is around 2500€
Are you saying that you can book the non-stop AF service CDG-YVR for EUR 1500 in J ?? I sincerely doubt you can have this fare departing CDG. Maybe departing from another European station and connecting in CDG, but not starting from CDG. However, I would be pleased to be proven wrong on this one
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Are you saying that you can book the non-stop AF service CDG-YVR for EUR 1500 in J ?? I sincerely doubt you can have this fare departing CDG. Maybe departing from another European station and connecting in CDG, but not starting from CDG. However, I would be pleased to be proven wrong on this one
As a r/t with one leg in J and one in Y, yes... (or at least Matrix ITA shows it as an option, I haven't gone further)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As a r/t with one leg in J and one in Y, yes... (or at least Matrix ITA shows it as an option, I haven't gone further)
Ah OK, one leg in J and one in Y. Not the same story
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Ah OK, one leg in J and one in Y. Not the same story
Probably with linking here - AF: CDG-JFK/YYZ/YUL(and many others) 1560$US r/t business must book 2 passengers
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:43 pm
formerly smoaky

Really not sure what you’re trying to tell us.

If iyou want to disprove my statement please disprove the following maths:
  • 60,000 / 4 = 15,000
  • 15,000 > 935
It’s really that simple.
Lol is this person a troll?

You do know the point of flying, and acquiring miles,... Is to fly?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by smoaky

You do know the point of flying, and acquiring miles,... Is to fly?
Yes. For most people, most of the time, in most circumstances, and maybe always for you. But apparently not always, for everybody, in every situation: Flyertalk: Mileage runs for Flying Blue - best routes?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:53 am

Yes. For most people, most of the time, in most circumstances, and maybe always for you. But apparently not always, for everybody, in every situation: Flyertalk: Mileage runs for Flying Blue - best routes?
The point of Mileage XP runs is to gain/retain status, so also in this case award miles accrual is just a secondary benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.