Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the point of miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
But of course all of this is not to say that overall loyalty programs are a great deal for customers - they are not. And indeed it takes more spending to get an award seat. Dynamic pricing has led to FB claiming that there are more award seats available than in the past . which is true - but also to awards typically being more expensive than in the past.
So if you know that why you're still using a loyalty program and not flying at your convenience?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by AurelAF96
So if you know that why you're still using a loyalty program and not flying at your convenience?
Because the rationale you quote is just one side of the argument. The other side is the first part of my same post, the one that you chose to cut.

You are of course free to cut whatever part of an argument you like and change the context; but you shouldn't expect an answer to a question based on only part of the initial full argument.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:15 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Depending on what status you have with FB, to get 52,500 miles you have spent between 6,500 and >13,000 EUR to get those miles. Optimal case, 6,500 EUR spend on previous tickets + taxes of 195 EUR for a ticket that would have cost 1,030 all in, that is a discount of 8.5% on your ticket price.

Entirely up to you if for you that is a good deal or not.

(For comparison, I snatched a Premiere award CDG-LAX for 200,000 miles plus EUR 305 in taxes. Paid fare would have been EUR 12,846. To gain those 200,000 miles I had to spend EUR 25,000, so all in all I paid EUR 25,305 to get a ticket that if bought would have cost EUR 12,846. Very sweet deal. But I realise that this is an extreme example: I really only needed a one-way, so the EUR equivalent was relatively expensive, On a return basis the CDG-LAX priced out at EUR 8,028. And I think if dynamic pricing had worked correctly it would have been 350,000 miles like on most other flights that only sell the top fares.)
I don't follow the premiere reasoning: I would never ever consider booking a La Premiere flight, so I would not even try to compare the price of the ticket with the amount of miles I would need for such a ticket.

Regarding the value of the miles: I get a discount of 835€ after spening 6500€. I consider that as a good deal. An unused mile is worth nothing, here it's worth 1.6cents per mile.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)

Because the rationale you quote is just one side of the argument. The other side is the first part of my same post, the one that you chose to cut.

You are of course free to cut whatever part of an argument you like and change the context; but you shouldn't expect an answer to a question based on only part of the initial full argument.
Well to be clear; the first sentence of your second part is: "But of course all of this is not to say that overall loyalty programs are a great deal for customers - - they are not"
So i understand that the first part isn't enough for still using a loyalty program in your opinion, that's why i keep only the second part

And what i understand from your full message is that: Yes there is some good stuff, but in general i know that i lose more than i earn but i'm still using it. Thta's why i don't get your clear opinion about that subject
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I guess it depends on the route and what your other options are.
[...]
On BA to London, it's even cheaper (4k or 4.5k each way, plus €21)
Indeed. BA is cheaper on direct flights but not necessarily on connecting flights since you have to double the number of miles needed given the segment-based logic of BAEC redemptions. I usually use BA avios for direct flights to and from London, where the value is generally unbeatable (even with C class redemptions, at between 9K, and 15K avios is still relatively cheap when economy runs out). Between two points in continental Europe, however, FB miles can often make more sense.
I must say, however, that I have felt the impact of no longer being Gold on BA. Whereas, before that, I can more or less find award space on 95% of the flights I wanted within Europe thanks to the extra inventory for Gold members, it has become a little bit more challenging now that I am silver. No such issues with FB, as inventory availability at cheap rates has always been more scarce anyway so my expectations are lower to start with.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by yno
I don't follow the premiere reasoning: I would never ever consider booking a La Premiere flight, so I would not even try to compare the price of the ticket with the amount of miles I would need for such a ticket.

Regarding the value of the miles: I get a discount of 835€ after spening 6500€. I consider that as a good deal. An unused mile is worth nothing, here it's worth 1.6cents per mile.
There are two kinds of reasoning here. Neither of them is incorrect.

A) Your miles are a byproduct of flying you would have done anyway. So they're "free". What they are worth is how much you save when using them.

B) Your miles were not free since you had to pay for those flights. If you didnt have a loyalty card you may have gone with a competitor and saved money. You might also have been compelled to take a flight to avoid them expiring (weve all been there). So they are worth something but you should also take in account the spend you had to make because you are going to have to make that spend again to gain them back.

Both of these reasonings make sense. He is B) and you are A) Not to give you a headache, but here are a couple more factors to think about:

1) Whilst YOUR flight would have cost you €1k There may have been cheaper and/or more convenient flights on the same dates. Another flight available for €500? Then you saved yourself 300 not 800.

2) You got an award flight so no miles for you. You therefore "lost" 5000 miles. (Or more accurately, the paid fare also includes a benefit of 5k miles which you can deduct from your net gains)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:59 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
There are two kinds of reasoning here. Neither of them is incorrect.

A) Your miles are a byproduct of flying you would have done anyway. So they're "free". What they are worth is how much you save when using them.

B) Your miles were not free since you had to pay for those flights. If you didnt have a loyalty card you may have gone with a competitor and saved money. You might also have been compelled to take a flight to avoid them expiring (weve all been there). So they are worth something but you should also take in account the spend you had to make because you are going to have to make that spend again to gain them back.

Both of these reasonings make sense. He is B) and you are A) Not to give you a headache, but here are a couple more factors to think about:

1) Whilst YOUR flight would have cost you €1k There may have been cheaper and/or more convenient flights on the same dates. Another flight available for €500? Then you saved yourself 300 not 800.

2) You got an award flight so no miles for you. You therefore "lost" 5000 miles. (Or more accurately, the paid fare also includes a benefit of 5k miles which you can deduct from your net gains)

Fair enough for the above points.

However I'm located in a hub. If there are direct flights to where I want to go, sometimes it may happen that flying indirect on another company ma same me a bit of money, but I've never seen situations shere the difference in price would make me want to take indirect flights (and in case another company offers direct flights, they are always at similar prices). And in case there is anyway no direct flights, I've barely ever seen a big difference in price, unless I agree to fly companies I do not want to fly with.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: klm
OK so today I tried to booktwo award tickets for august week end 15-17 august cost 36000 miles and 191 in taxes
but the same flights as normal fares 205 euros. so what is in the 191 in taxes mean. do the flights really cost 12 euros.
or rather 10 XP per passenger costs 6 euros ?
Old May 19, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by adutchuser
OK so today I tried to booktwo award tickets for august week end 15-17 august cost 36000 miles and 191 in taxes
but the same flights as normal fares 205 euros. so what is in the 191 in taxes mean. do the flights really cost 12 euros.
It means that you should buy these tickets with cash and keep the miles for a better redemption.

(Unless you value the ability with the redemption ticket to be able to cancel for a fee of €42 per person - your cash fare is likely completely non-refundable)
glennhaak likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
While we are on the topic of point miles. Is it worth spending the miles on hotels through the hotels for miles website ? or is miles more worth spending on flight tickets.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Deeetcha
While we are on the topic of point miles. Is it worth spending the miles on hotels through the hotels for miles website ? or is miles more worth spending on flight tickets.
flights , because hotels are not really expensive if you pay with cash
Old May 20, 2019, 10:03 am

Can you share the route and flights? The amount of tax seems too high for a short-haul flight.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: klm
Sorry Thought I had ( typed too fast) AMS-LHR
Old May 20, 2019, 2:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I just booked a one way from CDG to SFO for less than 20,000 miles, so that fee might be the required price for throwing away your miles...
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:33 am

Sorry Thought I had ( typed too fast) AMS-LHR
Cheapest fare AMS-LHR seems to be Eur 17.50 per one-way, tax and YQ is then at Eur 87 which doesn't come up to the numbers you see....

And return on the 17 (cheapest option)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.