Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic, Air France and KLM launch codeshare partnership

Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Hi All,

Further to the earlier recalled news regarding the Air France, KLM and Virgin Atlantic partnership, please find below information regarding the partnership.

As a Flying Blue member, it is now possible to:
- earn miles;
- earn XP on eligible flights (provided flights are booked in a mileage earning fare class);
- earn Elite bonus miles;
- spend miles
- extent overall validity of miles.

Earn miles

Earning miles and XP's is possible for VS or DL marketed flights and operated by AF/KL/VS/DL based on the fare class and distance flown according to the following scheme:

- Business class: J, C (200%); D (175%); I (150%); Z (100%);
- Premium economy: W, S (125%); H (100%); K (75%);
- Economy Delight: V (100%;
- Economy Classic Y, B (100%); R, L (75%); U, M, E (50%); Q, X, N, O (25%);
- Economy Light: T (20%).

Elite benefits

In addition, Flying Blue Silver members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off.

In addition, Flying Blue Gold members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off;
- priority baggage handling;
- additional baggage allowance (+ 1 bag);
- lounge access + 1 guest. Note: exceptions apply. At LHR, FB Gold members do not have access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse but are invited to the Qantas lounge. At JNB no lounge access is provided when flying Virgin Atlantic.

In addition, Flying Blue Platinum (Ultimate) and Club 2000 (Skipper) members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off;
- priority baggage handling;
- additional baggage allowance (+ 1 bag);
- lounge access + 1 guest, except at JNB. FB Platinum members have access to the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR (and other locations). At JNB no lounge access is provided when flying Virgin Atlantic.
- priority security.

Final remarks

In case if you have any questions regarding the new partnership, please post your question. I will see if FB can answer the questions where possible.

Best regards,

Gajan
Print Wikipost

Virgin Atlantic, Air France and KLM launch codeshare partnership

Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by thierryd92
As of today, at HEathrow, Gold/Platinium flying in coach are allowed to Lounge n1. You need a valid business class ticket to access VS Lounge.
Can you elaborate please ? Flying coach to where and on which airline ? What’s lounge No1 and in which terminal ?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak

Can you elaborate please ? Flying coach to where and on which airline ? What’s lounge No1 and in which terminal ?
Indeed. At Heathrow, Virgin Atlantic passengers would use the Virgin Clubhouse.

As regards the No. 1 lounge at LHR T3, Virgin Atlantic has negotiated a discount of Ł3.40 on the walkup rate for passengers travelling on VS who don't have automatic access to the Virgin Clubhouse.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: FB Platinium, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold

ALL Virgin Atlantic flights at LHR are located at Terminal 3. This means that ALL Virgin Lounges are also located at Terminal 3.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: BA, KLM
I have a flight from AMS to YVR booked for December. As a Platinum I can book seats for the inbound leg and have free luggage, which is a KLM code on KLM metal.

The outbound leg is a Virgin code on KLM metal, with no option to choose seat, and no additional luggage.

If a JV is completed before I fly should the Virgin coded flight offer me the full Platinum benefits then?

I am just a pleb on Virgin Atlantic and have no chance of moving up the ladder with them
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Dougy Giro
I have a flight from AMS to YVR booked for December. As a Platinum I can book seats for the inbound leg and have free luggage, which is a KLM code on KLM metal.

The outbound leg is a Virgin code on KLM metal, with no option to choose seat, and no additional luggage.

If a JV is completed before I fly should the Virgin coded flight offer me the full Platinum benefits then?

I am just a pleb on Virgin Atlantic and have no chance of moving up the ladder with them
The JV and reciprocal FFP recognition and benefits are technically 2 independent things, but it’s indeed likely that once the JV is approved, the rest will follow quickly.
Dougy Giro likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
XPs and lounge access on Virgin Atlantic

Looking for premium economy flight to the US in AF site. Noticed that one of the flights is a codeshare with Virgin Atlantic. When doing a dummy booking it states that one will earn XPs for the whole trip (including the flight on Virgin Atlantic). Is this correct? Can one earn XPs on a codeshared flight with Virgin Atlantic? How about lounge access in LHR? As a flying blue platinum, does one have access (with a guest) to the Virginia Atlantic lounge?
Old May 6, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Can one earn XPs on a codeshared flight with Virgin Atlantic?
Yes, if you are booked under AF or KL flight numbers.

Originally Posted by toastedcafe
How about lounge access in LHR? As a flying blue platinum, does one have access (with a guest) to the Virginia Atlantic lounge?
No free lounge access at the moment, until VS becomes a Skyteam or a FB partner (not the case today).
Old May 6, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
No free lounge access at the moment, until VS becomes a Skyteam or a FB partner (not the case today).
Nope, he just needs to get to Skyteam lounge (example: in HEL, you can book a AF codeshare operated by Finnair (HEL-CDG, HEL-TMP etc.), but can use Aspire lounge used by KLM for HEL-AMS).
Old May 6, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Nope, he just needs to get to Skyteam lounge (example: in HEL, you can book a AF codeshare operated by Finnair (HEL-CDG, HEL-TMP etc.), but can use Aspire lounge used by KLM for HEL-AMS).
But the Skyteam lounge is not in the same terminal as VS in LHR.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
But the Skyteam lounge is not in the same terminal as VS in LHR.
Only a short & free train ride away.. Although I doubt they let you through security for just lounge access?
Old May 10, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
HEL is not Heathrow (though Heathrow can be hell!)

There is no lounge available in LHR T3 that a Flying Blue Gold or Platinum member can use prior to a VS flight in Economy Class. Once the VS/AFKL joint venture is in effect, this should change.

You cannot use the airside facilities in T4 when departing on VS flights which leave from T3.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Interesting. I just checked for LON-NYC flights on the AF app, and it gives me only flights that are operated by VS. Nothing wrong with VS, but I am surprised not to be offered any flights operated by DL, who after all is "closer" to AFKL than VS is.

What could the reason be?

Old May 10, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Interesting. I just checked for LON-NYC flights on the AF app, and it gives me only flights that are operated by VS. Nothing wrong with VS, but I am surprised not to be offered any flights operated by DL, who after all is "closer" to AFKL than VS is.

They might be sold out when it’s close to departure date?
Old May 10, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo

If I remember correctly, it was one of the condition imposed to get agreement of the JV DL/AF/KL. AF could not codeshare on DL flights from UK and DL could not codeshare on AFKL flights UK to Europe.
Wonder what will happen when the new JV is fully approved.

Last edited by brunos; May 10, 2019 at 9:05 am
Old May 10, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by BobTL

They might be sold out when it’s close to departure date?
That would have been an easy explanation, so I checked. Not the case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.