Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic, Air France and KLM launch codeshare partnership

Old Feb 13, 20, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Hi All,

Further to the earlier recalled news regarding the Air France, KLM and Virgin Atlantic partnership, please find below information regarding the partnership.

As a Flying Blue member, it is now possible to:
- earn miles;
- earn XP on eligible flights (provided flights are booked in a mileage earning fare class);
- earn Elite bonus miles;
- spend miles
- extent overall validity of miles.

Earn miles

Earning miles and XP's is possible for VS or DL marketed flights and operated by AF/KL/VS/DL based on the fare class and distance flown according to the following scheme:

- Business class: J, C (200%); D (175%); I (150%); Z (100%);
- Premium economy: W, S (125%); H (100%); K (75%);
- Economy Delight: V (100%;
- Economy Classic Y, B (100%); R, L (75%); U, M, E (50%); Q, X, N, O (25%);
- Economy Light: T (20%).

Elite benefits

In addition, Flying Blue Silver members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off.

In addition, Flying Blue Gold members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off;
- priority baggage handling;
- additional baggage allowance (+ 1 bag);
- lounge access + 1 guest. Note: exceptions apply. At LHR, FB Gold members do not have access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse but are invited to the Qantas lounge. At JNB no lounge access is provided when flying Virgin Atlantic.

In addition, Flying Blue Platinum (Ultimate) and Club 2000 (Skipper) members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- lounge access + 1 guest, except at JNB. FB Platinum members have access to the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR (and other locations). At JNB no lounge access is provided when flying Virgin Atlantic.
- priority security.

Final remarks

In case if you have any questions regarding the new partnership, please post your question. I will see if FB can answer the questions where possible.

Best regards,

Gajan
Print Wikipost

Virgin Atlantic, Air France and KLM launch codeshare partnership

Old Feb 3, 20, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by PeteM01
I am so pleased that KLM started flying to BLR, my major international destination at the moment - no more FlyBe flights, even if they survive.
I guess we will soon read that Flybe is pulling out of BLR.

Must have been an awfully long journey in a turbo-prop!

Old Feb 3, 20, 3:36 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I guess we will soon read that Flybe is pulling out of BLR.

Must have been an awfully long journey in a turbo-prop!

Haha, the MAN-CDG leg by FlyBe seemed longer than the CDG-BLR leg by AF sometimes, fed only by a packet of plain biscuits and a small box of water...
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 5:13 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The partnership has been officially launched:
Official news on airfranceklm.com

Quoting, in particular:
Enhanced customer benefits starting from 13 February mean that loyalty programme members will be able to earn and use miles or enjoy elite benefits for flights on any of the four airlines’ worldwide operations, including a trans-Atlantic trip, intra-Europe hops, or domestic U.S. journey, offering more opportunities to quickly move through loyalty tiers and reach a higher status. Eligible Elite loyalty programme members can also enjoy priority boarding and relax in over 100 airport lounges when travelling internationally.
Old Feb 3, 20, 9:38 am

Virgin Atlantics press release: https://corporate.virginatlantic.com...-launched.html
The doomed likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by PeteM01
I am so pleased that KLM started flying to BLR, my major international destination at the moment - no more FlyBe flights, even if they survive. I do hope that some SkyTeam flights replace the lost FlyBe flights from MAN to CDG or my FB membership will start to seem of little value.
Why do you say this ? AF is already serving the route so your FB membership value seems unchanged to me. OK you may hope (expect ?) for an increase of AF frequency, but that's it.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:36 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Why do you say this ? AF is already serving the route so your FB membership value seems unchanged to me. OK you may hope (expect ?) for an increase of AF frequency, but that's it.
Its pretty clear to me. If I cant get to CDG early enough for the morning flights (CDG to wherever), it will limit the number of destinations that I can conveniently reach and I may have to fly more with non-SkyTeam airlines. Ergo less value for FB membership. FlyBe currently operates the early flights in both directions, so a replacement of some sort is required. The distinction between increased AF frequency or some other ST option (Virgin Connect?) seems a little pernickety!
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Virgin Atlantic's partner page is back online.

Earning kicks in as of tomorrow, Thursday Feb 13.

https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/partner...ion?country=NL

Old Feb 12, 20, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well, for Economy Delight you are definitely better off crediting to Virgin Atlantic. And Premium Economy I reckon.
Old Feb 12, 20, 3:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
If this holds, it would be a much bigger reciprocity than expected, not only the JV TATL VS flights would give miles and XP, but all VS flights.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Earn Miles and gain XP on flights marketed as Virgin Atlantic (VS) or Delta Air Lines (DL) and operated by Virgin Atlantic, Air France, KLM and Delta Air Lines, as per the earning scheme below.
Interesting, they kind of extend the Skyteam thing towards its joint venture.

I'd love them do the same if they are able to get the deal with WS.
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Elite benefits to follow

More information regarding elite benefits for FB members flying VS to follow later this morning.
vinnyc, Goldorak, Andy82 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Berent
If this holds, it would be a much bigger reciprocity than expected, not only the JV TATL VS flights would give miles and XP, but all VS flights.
But since last year, ALL FB partner* flights - not just Skyteam members - give XPs....

As such, to not allow VS flights to earn would be to treat VS differently (and worse) than any other FB partner airline....

Also possible to earn XP on non-SkyTeam partner airlines (excl. Transavia)

*except Transavia, which is generally always an exception
Old Feb 13, 20, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbaiyun
Interesting, they kind of extend the Skyteam thing towards its joint venture.

I'd love them do the same if they are able to get the deal with WS.
You can already earn miles and XPs on WS flights in exactly the same manner...

https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/partner...t/presentation
Old Feb 13, 20, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
Well, for Economy Delight you are definitely better off crediting to Virgin Atlantic. And Premium Economy I reckon.
Not if you are hoping to gain/maintain status (splitting your status credits e.g. XPs between accounts makes it harder to get status in any individual account), and not if you are hoping to consolidate your miles and/or get a usable spending amount quickly (splitting your award miles between different accounts means you take longer to build balances in any individual account).

Only if you are the type who must, on a point of principle, extract the largest number of miles and put the miles in whatever programme is dictated by that sole concern - which means you are not correctly factoring in issues such as whether the earn/burn rates make this worthwhile (why select a program that gives you, say, 500 extra miles, if any redemption is going to require at least 10,000 miles more than your other option), and how you can best/more quickly use your miles...
Old Feb 13, 20, 1:28 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Elite benefits

Hi All,

Further to the earlier recalled news regarding the Air France, KLM and Virgin Atlantic partnership, please find below information regarding the partnership.

As a Flying Blue member, it is now possible to:
- earn miles;
- earn XP on eligible flights (provided flights are booked in a mileage earning fare class);
- earn Elite bonus miles;
- spend miles
- extent overall validity of miles.

Earn miles

Earning miles and XP's is possible for VS or DL marketed flights and operated by AF/KL/VS based on the fare class and distance flown according to the following scheme:

- Business class: J, C (200%); D (175%); I (150%); Z (100%);
- Premium economy: W, S (125%); H (100%); K (75%);
- Economy Delight: V (100%;
- Economy Classic Y, B (100%); R, L (75%); U, M, E (50%); Q, X, N, O (25%);
- Economy Light: T (20%).

Elite benefits

In addition, Flying Blue Silver members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off.

In addition, Flying Blue Gold members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- lounge access + 1 guest, except at LHR and JNB. At LHR, FB Gold members will have access to the Qantas lounge. In other locations except JNB, FB Gold members have access to Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses.

In addition, Flying Blue Platinum (Ultimate) and Club 2000 (Skipper) members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- lounge access + 1 guest, except at JNB. FB Platinum members have access to the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR (and other locations);
- priority security.

Final remarks

In case if you have any questions regarding the new partnership, please post your question. I will see if FB can answer the questions where possible.

Best regards,

Gajan

Last edited by Gajan; Feb 17, 20 at 10:44 pm Reason: additional baggage allowance (+ 1 bag) for Gold and Platinum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.