Wiki Posts
Search

Dutch State raises stake from 5.9% to near 13%

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, Privium

According to nu.nl, the Dutch state will take a share in Air France - KLM.

Weren’t they already a minority stake holder?

Nederlandse staat neemt belang in Air France-KLM
https://www.nu.nl/algemeen/5763243/n...rance-klm.html
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They were, but only in KLM. This is in the holding KLM-AirFrance.
They spent 680mln Euro to get a 12,6% stake. They aim to increase this stake to 14%, so it'll be the exact same as the French have.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
They had shares in KLM, not the holding.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Loyalty Lobby has a good write up about it.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/02/26/...tch-interests/
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...o-match-france

Apparently, the move took AF by surprise. Could be the prelude of a nationalistic fight: not a good news.

I wonder where those 7% shares come from. That's a lot of shares.Would explain why the share price went from about 10 to 12.7 in five days.

Apparently the French State owns 14%, Dutch State 13%, DL and MU 9% each.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by brunos
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...o-match-france

Apparently, the move took AF by surprise. Could be the prelude of a nationalistic fight: not a good news.

I wonder where those 7% shares come from. That's a lot of shares.Would explain why the share price went from about 10 to 12.7 in five days.

Apparently the French State owns 14%, Dutch State 13%, DL and MU 9% each.
Most funny are Bruno Lemaire's comments, that AFKLM should be run according to its own interest, free from national state interventions.

Last edited by carnarvon; Feb 27, 2019 at 1:47 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Most funny are Bruno Lemaire's comments, that AFKLM should be run according go its own interest, free from national state interventions.
Yes. I almost fell from my chair when I read that statement
Zembla likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Another interesting article (in French) this morning. A little bit over dramatic IMO.
https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises...is-808902.html
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Dutch State raises stake from 5.9% to near 13% "

I stand to be correct on this, but I thought that the Dutch state already owned 5.9% of KLM, and has now purchased 12.68% of the shares in the Air France-KLM holding. This holding in turn is a minority shareholder in KLM, albeit the largest at 49%.

Johan
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
"Dutch State raises stake from 5.9% to near 13% "

I stand to be correct on this, but I thought that the Dutch state already owned 5.9% of KLM, and has now purchased 12.68% of the shares in the Air France-KLM holding. This holding in turn is a minority shareholder in KLM, albeit the largest at 49%.

Johan
All information indeed suggest that the purchase was for AFKL (holding) shares, which would explain the 25% rise in share price
And even Lemaire (French minister) indicates that this was a total surprise.
The French, especially the French government, were running AFKL as a pure French firm. Will be more difficult now
Like everyone else, I find the statement by Lemaire about no State interference idiotic

BTW the share price lost 12% this morning as investors realized that the recent surge was technical (Dutch purchases) and augur badly of the future The French State still has double votes. But in a couple of years, DL, MU and The Dutch State will have the same status

Last edited by brunos; Feb 27, 2019 at 1:34 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
If the Dutch state equal ownership could balance and as a result "cancel" the French state influence in AFKL, that would be nice.

It may happen when you know how pragmatic and business oriented Dutch people can be.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The next step will be the appointment of representative of the Dutch state to AFKL Board.
But remember that the bylaws constrain the Borad composition:
https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/board-directors
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
https://europeantransit.wordpress.com/2019/02/27/aviation-netherlands-takes-stake-in-air-france-klm/

Makes me feel that there will be less of a claim to AF/KLM being a French run company... Air France / KLM will now have equal French & Duch representation, and the Dutch wing making much more than AF. I wouldn't be suprised if we hear shouts of wanting to move more of AF/KLM to the Netherlands... Still unlikely to happen in practice though.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:19 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Well, it seems all gloves are off.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
Well, it seems that gloves have always been off on the french side, where strong political influence on companies is business as usual. Directly and indirectly, KLM and Schiphol provide for about 1% of jobs in the Netherlands (about .5% directly). With the French continuously trying to get influence, traffic and money flowing from AMS towards CDG, that is a major risk to the dutch economy. Without the French government influence, you would actually expect AF/KLM to start moving more towards the KLM way of doing business, with KLM earnings more than 4-fold that of AF, better customer experience and way better work ethic. I can only imagine the US frustration with the french way of doing things within the DL/AF/KLM partnership.

As less french influence is never going to happen, the only way to bring balance back is more dutch influence. Exactly what happened here, with a huge approval rating among voters (initial polls say something like 90+%). And it's dirt cheap. buying major influence on about 1% of the 750 billion euro GDP (which is worth 7.5 billion) for about 650 million euro's in shares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.