AF have downgraded flybe food & drink voucher

Old Feb 23, 19, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
AF have downgraded flybe food & drink voucher

So I've used the flybe codeshares before. Wouldn't mind as it gets me where I need to be faster. AF used to give you a free voucher for 1 food and 1 drink, which is all you need for a 1hr flight (and tbh is usually better than an AF y fare...)

Well today, surprise, the FA told us that, since 2 months ago, all that AF customers are allowed now with the voucher is a glass of water and a biscuit (despite the voucher text still saying "of your choice - champagne excluded").

To make the biscuit extra worth fighting for, I also had to beg for the voucher at the gate, since my name hadn't been included in the list of pax that deserve the holy voucher.

And the best... I was travelling on a J ticket.

Behold, a business class meal for two!

Last edited by Maestro Ramen; Feb 23, 19 at 8:32 am
Old Feb 23, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ♪♪♪ 7 ™
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
So I've used the flybe codeshares before. Wouldn't mind as it gets me where I need to be faster. AF used to give you a free voucher for 1 food and 1 drink, which is all you need for a 1hr flight (and tbh is usually better than an AF y fare...)

Well today, surprise, the FA told us that, since 2 months ago, all that AF customers are allowed now with the voucher is a glass of water and a biscuit (despite the voucher text still saying "of your choice - champagne excluded").

To make the biscuit extra worth fighting for, I also had to beg for the voucher at the gate, since my name hadn't been included in the list of pax that deserve the holy voucher.

I had nothing but problems with Flybe traveling on a J ticket. No vouchers out of CDG, reserved last row, reduced luggage allowance, family split up etc etc. I gave up flying AF from MAN and BHX, I have been flying Austrian and Lufthansa for a year which is a lot better (than Flybe). I see Flybe are being taken over so I am interested to see what happens as I would like to start using AF again.

Old Feb 23, 19, 9:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum

When travelling to CDG on AF-coded FlyBe flights in 'J', I have recently been offered a choice of anything on board to eat and drink. Indeed, on the last flight, the FA was staggered that I did not choose the bubbly (at 06:50...). The BE fare class is W ('All-in'), as I remember, that also comes with fast-track security and lounge access. However, the return journey usually has nothing, with the voucher refused even when requested. I was very surprised to get a voucher on my last flight (early Feb) that had the 'your choice' promise, but was not entitled to even a chocolate digestive! I have complained to AF about this treatment and once was given an apology and a promise that they would approach FlyBe to at least make it the same to and from CDG. The second time, I was simply told to complain to FlyBe, despite having purchased the ticket through AF...
Old Feb 23, 19, 12:14 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am surprised that Air France continues to work with Flybe, it's awful and I am no fan of that airline. It's a bit like the tieup KLM has with Transavia and Pegasus, isn't it?
Andy49 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 19, 12:36 pm

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I am surprised that Air France continues to work with Flybe, it's awful and I am no fan of that airline. It's a bit like the tieup KLM has with Transavia and Pegasus, isn't it?
Once I had an issue with my baggage on my AF-codeshare flight and FlyBe staff in BHX was incredibly helpful because the mess was made -as usual- by CDG aiport handling.
To avoid any issue in the last years I'm flying to UK via AMS.
Old Feb 24, 19, 9:48 pm

I think KLM also works with Flybe sometimes, but I am not sure how up to date my thoughts are. I was thinking of the Southampton and Inverness routes.
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:25 am

Just had another Flybe codeshare 'experience' connecting to AF long haul J and paid O class flights at CDG: OLCI on the Flybe website provided vouchers for food, drink plus lounge and security fast-track access (not needed). So I had a nice waffle and a cup of tea on the way from MAN. On the way back, OLCI through either AF or BE websites failed and so no vouchers were available before the flight. At the gate in CDG - no vouchers, even when I requested them and showed my ticket, which had a spurious J class assignment for the BE leg. So not even biscuits and water...

With whom does the fault lie? Are AF not providing the correct information to BE or are BE simply cutting costs where they think they can get away with it?

Last edited by PeteM01; Apr 29, 19 at 5:37 am
Old Apr 29, 19, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Originally Posted by PeteM01 View Post

With whom does the fault lie? Are AF not providing the correct information to BE or are BE simply cutting costs where they think they can get away with it?
Thanks for your account.

I think we have two issues there, and both of them appear to be AF's responsibility from the (limited) digging I did into the matter:
  • Vouchers not being issued properly when connecting at CDG. Seems like we have consistent reports of this happening on legs departing CDG, but that flights starting with Flybe are usually smooth. According to the gate agents I spoke to at CDG (and who agreed to give me a voucher in the end) they get a list of pax from AF of who should be handed a voucher. Comically it seems that Y pax with AF are given the vouchers, but J pax are often not I only have had this experience once, but it would be nice to hear from other FTs if anyone has ever succeeded into getting J service departing CDG.
  • Other issue is the voucher itself. Despite still being printed with "have whatever you want" you are only allowed biscuits and water (hey it's better than nothing). I spoke to the FA about it and according to her it was AF's decision to downgrade the catering option for their Pax, from January this year (iirc). I suppose that's the standard Y voucher. I don't actually know what J pax are actually supposed to get but based on your experience they still get the all-in? Wouldn't be extra funny if that's the reason why J pax are not issued vouchers anymore.
In conclusion this seems to be just AF's poor logistics at fault here. After my flight I complained about the poor "J" service and got 8k miles x2 as a response, so I would encourage you to raise a complaint as well. Not only so you can get something out of it (Happy to switch my brewdog to a water for 8000m ) but also so that enough customers complaint to raise awareness on their logistics needing an urgent review...
Old Apr 29, 19, 5:49 am

Thanks for your account.

I think we have two issues there, and both of them appear to be AF's responsibility from the (limited) digging I did into the matter:
  • Vouchers not being issued properly when connecting at CDG. Seems like we have consistent reports of this happening on legs departing CDG, but that flights starting with Flybe are usually smooth. According to the gate agents I spoke to at CDG (and who agreed to give me a voucher in the end) they get a list of pax from AF of who should be handed a voucher. Comically it seems that Y pax with AF are given the vouchers, but J pax are often not I only have had this experience once, but it would be nice to hear from other FTs if anyone has ever succeeded into getting J service departing CDG.
  • Other issue is the voucher itself. Despite still being printed with "have whatever you want" you are only allowed biscuits and water (hey it's better than nothing). I spoke to the FA about it and according to her it was AF's decision to downgrade the catering option for their Pax, from January this year (iirc). I suppose that's the standard Y voucher. I don't actually know what J pax are actually supposed to get but based on your experience they still get the all-in? Wouldn't be extra funny if that's the reason why J pax are not issued vouchers anymore.
In conclusion this seems to be just AF's poor logistics at fault here. After my flight I complained about the poor "J" service and got 8k miles x2 as a response, so I would encourage you to raise a complaint as well. Not only so you can get something out of it (Happy to switch my brewdog to a water for 8000m ) but also so that enough customers complaint to raise awareness on their logistics needing an urgent review...
Interesting reply. I think that you are correct in your second assertion, that J pax do not get a voucher because they simply do not have the 'all-in' vouchers at the gate, only the 'biscuit and water' vouchers. From MAN-CDG, I received the 'all-in' vouchers as a part of the boarding pass (Class W) in OLCI on the BE website. There is clearly no mechanism for providing this when checking-in at an AF desk (at BLR, in my case). On another 'funny' note, can you imagine how awful it would be to arrive at CDG in La Premiere, and then be refused even water and a plain biscuit on the connecting BE flight? Quelle horreur!

I will definitely complain again but my last complaint did not get me any miles or even an apology...
Old Apr 29, 19, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Interesting reply. I think that you are correct in your second assertion, that J pax do not get a voucher because they simply do not have the 'all-in' vouchers at the gate, only the 'biscuit and water' vouchers. From MAN-CDG, I received the 'all-in' vouchers as a part of the boarding pass (Class W) in OLCI on the BE website. There is clearly no mechanism for providing this when checking-in at an AF desk (at BLR, in my case). On another 'funny' note, can you imagine how awful it would be to arrive at CDG in La Premiere, and then be refused even water and a plain biscuit on the connecting BE flight? Quelle horreur!

I will definitely complain again but my last complaint did not get me any miles or even an apology...
You should definitely complain. I still don't understand why AF is code-sharing with such airlines. When I travel on routes served by both AF and BE metal, I always make sure I am on AF metal to avoid all those issues with SkyP/lounge/catering, etc.
Old Apr 29, 19, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
You should definitely complain. I still don't understand why AF is code-sharing with such airlines. When I travel on routes served by both AF and BE metal, I always make sure I am on AF metal to avoid all those issues with SkyP/lounge/catering, etc.
It is hard to avoid BE from MAN in the mornings. I would have to wait 2-3 hours longer to avoid BE on the return as well. Sometimes, you just want to get home, biscuits or no biscuits...to be fair to BE, it seems the problem here is communication from AF. If they booked into the BE 'W' class, there would not be an issue.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:50 pm

On another 'funny' note, can you imagine how awful it would be to arrive at CDG in La Premiere, and then be refused even water and a plain biscuit on the connecting BE flight? Quelle horreur!
This has happened to me... twice.

The first time there was a delay cleaning the plane, it was parked remotely, so the FAs were informed that there was a La Premiere pax waiting to board. The FAs were brilliant and "snuck" me some freebie food and booze despite the lack of voucher. On the 2nd occasion the FAs couldn't care less. I wasn't too bothered the 2nd time as all I wanted to do was sleep but that's not the point really. I generally avoid BE but AF can often be no better CDG->MAN.
Old May 7, 19, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I think KLM also works with Flybe sometimes, but I am not sure how up to date my thoughts are. I was thinking of the Southampton and Inverness routes.
Don't know about Southampton, but in Inverness Flybe flights to AMS are thankfully just a distant memory. KLM has been really successful since they've taken over and this coming summer number of daily flights will go up to 3.
Old May 7, 19, 4:11 pm

Really? To Inverness?? In the 90s, when I really needed flights to INV, there was pretty well nothing apart from easyJet. There were no international flights, although I think KLM had a flight for a brief period in the mid 90s. Getting to the north of Scotland was just hellish back then. I wasn't able to pay for the BA franchise flights into places like Wick.
Old May 9, 19, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Well, I did complain and this is the response:
"Dear [PeteM01],
Thank you for contacting Air France Customer Care Europe.

I regret to learn that you had inconveniences on your return itinerary that you booked with the flights AF 191 from Bangalore to Paris and AF 5022 from Paris to Manchester on April 28th, 2019.
From you message that you did not receive a meal voucher for your meal on the flight AF 5022 operated by Flybe.
Meal vouchers on Flybe flights bought via Air France

Flybe is a different airline that has agreed with us to offer our passengers on their flights between Paris and Manchester a meal and a drink, for which they agreed with us to hand out vouchers at the gate of their flight, when the passenger has booked a Business Class ticket with Air France.
You may understand that the responsibility for not receiving a meal and drink voucher for their flight is not with us, whenever Flybe does not respect that aforementioned agreement.
Information about operating carrier
I further would like to highlight that during the booking process on our website or via the app, when choosing the flights, you can always see which airline is actually the operating carrier.
With this email I hope to give you a reasonable response and would like to thank you for travelling in Business Class and for your loyalty to us."

Search this Thread