FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   missing luggage YYZ-CDG-MRU AF/MK codeshare - how to claim? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1956754-missing-luggage-yyz-cdg-mru-af-mk-codeshare-how-claim.html)

ericw Feb 17, 2019 10:54 am

missing luggage YYZ-CDG-MRU AF/MK codeshare - how to claim?

First time flying AF in many years and my bag with expensive diving gear and my fav travel clothing has gone missing:(. Total content worth about 3500 EUR.
MK is the operator of the 2nd leg and MRU agent told me that MK didn't see the bag in the transfer pile at CDG.
MK (also AF’s ground handling) at MRU started a file for me but so far no updates. They told me it might have come with AF460 later today but it didn't. They also couldn’t tell me if AF loaded the bag at YYZ and unloaded at CDG. Worldtracer still shows “tracing continues. please check back later”.

MK said no immediate compensation until after 24 hrs and 5000 rupees if lost (approx. 130 EUR). i have CC insurance to cover $500 emergency purchases, but i am not sure if my home insurance covers checked luggage.

Since i have a AF ticket marketed by AF, i should be able to claim against AF for EUR 1295 after 21 days, right? should i skip MK and deal with AF directly after 5 days?

Thank you.

Goldorak Feb 17, 2019 11:00 am

No, you have to deal with MK.

ericw Feb 17, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 30789378)
No, you have to deal with MK.

including compensation if they only offer 130 EUR for lost luggage?

Zoille Feb 17, 2019 11:36 am

In my (unfortunate) experience, don't expect pity nor cash from MK...

ericw Feb 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Zoille (Post 30789507)
In my (unfortunate) experience, don't expect pity nor cash from MK...

darn. so there is no recourse against AF at all?

I only chose MK codeshare over AF was because of MK’s new A350. Ended up with an old A340 prob from 2 decades ago...and now this. :(

Goldorak Feb 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by ericw (Post 30789474)

including compensation if they only offer 130 EUR for lost luggage?

Originally Posted by ericw (Post 30789693)

darn. so there is no recourse against AF at all?

I only chose MK codeshare over AF was because of MK’s new A350. Ended up with an old A340 prob from 2 decades ago...and now this. :(

You can still write to AF asking for a compensation for the inconveniences and if you are a FB member, they will likely give you a few thousands miles. But for claiming reimbursement of your expenses, you have to deal with MK. If MK doesn't cover all your expenses, then use the insurance attached to your CC or any travel insurance you may have subscribed for this trip.

brunos Feb 18, 2019 11:44 pm

You got the correct advice from Goldorak.
Note that MK could pay you for two different things:
- delayed luggage and you need to buy essentials (emergency purchases). That is probably what the agent referred to by 130EUR.
- lost luggage after 21 days. You can claim the max you indicated, but you will need receipts and MK could discount those for being old. The previous amount paid will come as a deduction. If you are not satisfied with what MK is willing to pay, then you could try to get AF involved as this is a ticket issued by AF on AF codes.

BTW, do not put too much faith in some agent statement such as :".MRU agent told me that MK didn't see the bag in the transfer pile at CDG".
It can take some time for the bag to reach you as this involves a transfer between two different airlines. A few-days delay is not unusual. If the tag has been torn, you might be in for a long wait unless you have visible name tags on and inside your bag.

ericw Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Thank you guys. Fortunately MK did find the bag eventually after 3 days. Luckily my CC insurance gave me $500 to buy some clothes.
I was given 50 EUR (2000 MUR) as compensation via email notice 5 days later. I had to collect it in person at MRU and it took me 2 hours running around the airport to get it sorted...