Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Value of FB Miles down the drain and impossible to get information anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value of FB Miles down the drain and impossible to get information anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Concerto
I guess you're right that reducing the XPs for domestic flights in the large countries you mentioned was intentional. I hadn't thought of that, but it would make sense. Maybe they could develop two levels of XPs for domestics in these countries, 2XPs for flights up to 2,000 miles and 4XPs for flights over 2,000 miles. For example.
That would be fair.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:27 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak

I am not so sure that they will change the domestic earning in US, China, Russia, as this was a deliberate choice. We’ll see.
But what will surely change IMO is the difference of earning between AFKL-coded tickets (earning based on fare paid) and earning on partners-coded tickets (earnings based on fare class and distance). The latter is often more generous which is a problem as there is no or few incentive to fly on AFKL tickets. I guess that some partner-coded tickets (at least those in a JV with AFKL) will go sometime to revenue based scheme.

Again, there is no single answer. Only specific cases. So we can just discuss “in general”.
Would that drive more people away from Flying Blue? I am one of those who flys mostly discounted long-haul Business tickets from LHR. Now I avoid AF/KL via CDG/AMS as the revenue based Miles earned is so very low now and now I take, where possible, SkyTeam partner flights including ST partner codeshares on AF/KL aircraft if possible. I already climbed to FB Platinum and it is nice having the tier status (for lounge access/SkyPriority etc. for short-haul weekend breaks) and earning reasonable amounts of the old Award Miles but since earning AF/KL Miles is now very difficult and if they do with JV to revence based I'd move away from airline/alliance loyalty and just fly with whomever. And just going on a point raised above: I have never found an AF/KL ticket that earns more Miles in the new FB than in the old FB. It seems to me that FFP are a dying breed and FB has been redesigned to reduce membership numbers.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by siw
Would that drive more people away from Flying Blue? I am one of those who flys mostly discounted long-haul Business tickets from LHR. Now I avoid AF/KL via CDG/AMS as the revenue based Miles earned is so very low now and now I take, where possible, SkyTeam partner flights including ST partner codeshares on AF/KL aircraft if possible. I already climbed to FB Platinum and it is nice having the tier status (for lounge access/SkyPriority etc. for short-haul weekend breaks) and earning reasonable amounts of the old Award Miles but since earning AF/KL Miles is now very difficult and if they do with JV to revence based I'd move away from airline/alliance loyalty and just fly with whomever. And just going on a point raised above: I have never found an AF/KL ticket that earns more Miles in the new FB than in the old FB. It seems to me that FFP are a dying breed and FB has been redesigned to reduce membership numbers.
Even if they were aligning some ST partners to the revenue-based scheme, this will not change your status qualification/requalification as this is based on the XP earning table which is the same whatever the flight is AFKL- or partner-marketed.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
AF has changed the earning sheme because the number of unused miles is included in the company's debts; most of AF/KL clients have lost in this new earning scheme, excepted the highest fare contributionners
Personally, as I fly only on cheapest fares, (as Ranskis) but in business and First class, I earn many more less miles on AF/KL than before. Therefore, excepted on AF "La Premičre" (my only luxe) I choose only ST partners for my flights because of the better earning scheme.

Last edited by delanotre; Feb 17, 2019 at 8:46 am Reason: precision
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
The reduction of mileage earning in F fare for first isn't that dramatic (was doing the math for Z / F trip the other day, and it was only a few thousand miles less).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But let's face it, the values for business class redemptions have been absurdly high for a decade now. Even within Europe, where there is no product to speak of (unless you count an empty middle seat and a school dinner as a product) the miles rates are ludicrous. So I never look at business class redemptions, apart from the Promo Awards, and mostly book award tickets in Economy. I mean, of course I always look at the business class mileage figures and they just blow my mind, so I would never book them. Hope the Promo Awards continue, because without them the programme is nada.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:08 pm

But let's face it, the values for business class redemptions have been absurdly high for a decade now. Even within Europe, where there is no product to speak of (unless you count an empty middle seat and a school dinner as a product) the miles rates are ludicrous. So I never look at business class redemptions, apart from the Promo Awards, and mostly book award tickets in Economy. I mean, of course I always look at the business class mileage figures and they just blow my mind, so I would never book them. Hope the Promo Awards continue, because without them the programme is nada.
You can't be expecting to fly deeply discounted Y and get miles for a long-haul J ticket. I'd say best use of miles is in fact on long-haul J tickets (if under the new system you get it cheaply, like 50k - 80k miles).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
You can't be expecting to fly deeply discounted Y and get miles for a long-haul J ticket. I'd say best use of miles is in fact on long-haul J tickets (if under the new system you get it cheaply, like 50k - 80k miles).
Not even sure. There are so many offers nowadays that you can fly business Europe-Elsewhere for 1500-2000 EUR with a bit of flexibility in time and space. Since you have 500 EUR of taxes for a round trip award ticket, paying 100-200k miles mainly offsets 1000-1500 EUR.
Miles are more useful for the odd trip when you need a one way ticket, a last minute ticket that is wide open in J (so cheap in miles) but no cheap fare is available due to the short notice, direct J flights from/to CDG or AMS that are almost always expensive or for upgrades from premium economy to business when/if available.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I guess you're right that reducing the XPs for domestic flights in the large countries you mentioned was intentional. I hadn't thought of that, but it would make sense. Maybe they could develop two levels of XPs for domestics in these countries, 2XPs for flights up to 2,000 miles and 4XPs for flights over 2,000 miles. For example.
I think you can forget about them "developing two levels of XPs for domestics".

And if they did - why pick 2,000 miles as the cut-off? (That would seem to suggest that only the US and Russia deserve having "differentiated" domestic valuation - are there any other countries in which Skyteam airlines can operate such long domestic flights? I'm not entirely sure either China Eastern or Xiamen Airlines operate flights to any destination in the north-eastern corner of China, the only part of the countrz that would be more than 2000 miles from their respective bases). Even for Delta and Aeroflot, the number of domestic flights that fall outside the 2000 mile limit would appear to be minuscule in comparison with their total domestic network - making it a very unusual choice of "cutoff".

2000 mile radius from selected Skyteam hubs.

And why "reward" customers for flying on this (or any) subset of "long" domestic flights? (I know, FB as it currently stands tends to over-reward customers for flying on other airlines or for booking on other airlines - but making a differentiation in "domestic" flights doesn't make sense for Flying Blue as its native airlines don't have any "long" domestic flights.)

I don't see any logic for Flying Blue to differentiate any kind of "domestic" flight.

(though yes, the 2000 mile cut off would suggest entirely removing the separate "Domestic" column entirely, which might make sense)
NickB likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
but making a differentiation in "domestic" flights doesn't make sense for Flying Blue as its native airlines don't have any "long" domestic flights.
AF does have domestic flights above the "long" cut-off point but you are correct that these are not "domestic" flights for FB purposes as FB classifies them as international flights even though they are in fact domestic.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:20 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And why "reward" customers for flying on this (or any) subset of "long" domestic flights? (I know, FB as it currently stands tends to over-reward customers for flying on other airlines or for booking on other airlines - but making a differentiation in "domestic" flights doesn't make sense for Flying Blue as its native airlines don't have any "long" domestic flights.)
Isn't it rather that the Flying Blue change now under-rewards customers on AF/KL? Where the rewards on other airlines has remained the same - thinking about the earning of Miles.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well it wasn't a very clearly thought out plan on my part, I just picked an arbitrary figure. I don't expect them to change the domestic XPs situation, certainly, but I think the whole thing merits a bit of thought. I suspect the discrepancy of mileage earning on partner airlines is something that is likely to be attended to sooner than the XP question. It's funny, I never thought this revenue model for miles earning could or would work outside the USA, given the different markets at play.

It is equally absurd getting so many XPs for short hops like CDG-AMS or AMS-DUS, but I hope that situation does not change, obviously! As for other airlines with long domestic flights, maybe Aerolineas Argentineas? Or Garuda Indonesia?

Oh I see...I have just studied your 2,000 mile radius map now. It does seem that the countries with long domestics are Russia and the USA. So no, that won't change probably. Nice map, by the way. I like maps.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:21 am

We'd first need to know the exact rationale for domestic flights XP earnings being irrelevant of distance and for the partner mileage earnings, such things are determined by market situation, not geography. Then figure out what's likely to get adjusted.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Thanks everyone for the replies and constructive opinions. Thanks to you, pretty much figured out by now that FB is not the wtg for redeeming my amex miles and that upgrades are not a viable way to use miles. Looking towards flying club now for the miles. But ill keep using afklm where i can as they're cheap, and it looks like I can easily make silver this year as im already on 80 xp.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
We'd first need to know the exact rationale for domestic flights XP earnings being irrelevant of distance and for the partner mileage earnings, such things are determined by market situation, not geography. Then figure out what's likely to get adjusted.
Personally, I think it's a question of unintended consequences, more specifically unintended benefits (on part of AFKL).
I believe that the programme designers were mainly thinking of AF domestic flights, which, as we know, used not to get segments at all (under normal circumstances). 2XP I would say is a decent compromise in the end. RO and KQ might have complained, and then they got 4XP for their domestics instead. UX maybe would have complained as well, but they went away from FB so they get no say.

But then the obvious big question hit. What of DL and SU (and Chinese partners), them's big countries, 2XP flying JFK-SFO?
Except... for AFKL, it's actually good this way. Because they want people to actually take their long TATL, instead of just hopping over to the Eastern Seaboard (or Moscow) and taking the domestic option. If CDG-SFO-SAN gives more XP than CDG-JFK-SAN, that's just fantastic for AFKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.