Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

FB says: Mileage earning only when ticket issued on Skyteam airline paper

FB says: Mileage earning only when ticket issued on Skyteam airline paper

Old Feb 5, 19, 9:06 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 6,203
FB says: Mileage earning only when ticket issued on Skyteam airline paper

Very odd conversation I just had with AF:
I had called them because I did not manage to enter a request for a mileage credit for a KLM flight that had not credited automatically. What they told me was that miles were not earned for any flights if the ticket hadn't been issued on stock of a non-Skyteam airline. In my case I had a flight operated by KLM, flightnumber on the ticket was KLM, flightnumber on the boaridng pass was with KLM, my frequent flyer number was on the KLM-issued boarding pass - but the ticket was on OS stock (other flight on that ticket were on OS). Funnily enough, when I viewed the reservation on the KL website it told me how many miles and how many XP I would earn (which leads me to conclude that they *can* calculate their share of the fare. So it's not an issue of "we cannot calculate the amount because we don't know what part of the fare belongs to us")

Is that true? Mileage earning only when the ticket is issued on ticket stock of a Skyteam airline? The Flying Blue website says "Earn Miles for every € you spend on Air France, KLM, Joon and HOP!-marketed flights". If "marketed" means "booked under a KL/AF flight number" then mileage earning should be possible. If "marketed" means "issued on ticket stock of an airline whose flights allow credits for FB" then indeed I woulnd't get miles.

Anyone can help? I simply cannot believe this explanation - after all, KLM got their money, and I flew on one of their planes and a KL flight number. Why does ticket stock matter?
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Feb 5, 19, 9:19 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 2,018
Marketed indeed means with AF or KL or A5 flight number, regardless of the stock on which the e-ticket is issued.
The ticket stock should not matter, I used to earn FB miles on skyteam marketed and operated flights issued by a non skyteam airline in the past.
The new system might not like it a lot certainly because it is not very often this would happen, and they have not developed a plan B solution for these cases.
I think LH group posts the miles based on booking class for flights not issued on LH group ticket stock, even for LH group flights. Since they certainly share a simiar IT solution, this would mean that it is challenging to post miles based on actual spend if you don't own the ticket.
Also I am pretty sure you would have the same problem for a CI ticket like TPE CI AMS KL FRA to credit the KL flight AMS FRA. And I prefer not to imagine the mess it would be to credit a round the world ticket nowadays
ranskis is offline  
Old Feb 5, 19, 9:30 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, FR
Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA EXP, A3*G, UA *G, LH FTL, CCarlson Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 718
I recall seeing a similar post on this forum where a traveler had been rerouted on AF by a *A or OW carrier and being denied the miles by Flying Blue for the same reason. It's ridiculous and Flying Blue needs to fix this.
Oxymore is offline  
Old Feb 5, 19, 9:32 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Posts: 19,218
HUCA.
SFO777 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 19, 9:34 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 6,203
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
HUCA.
I certainly shall do that. But I want to go into that battle being armed with good arguments/facts.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:45 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 13,971
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Very odd conversation I just had with AF:
I had called them because I did not manage to enter a request for a mileage credit for a KLM flight that had not credited automatically. What they told me was that miles were not earned for any flights if the ticket hadn't been issued on stock of a non-Skyteam airline. In my case I had a flight operated by KLM, flightnumber on the ticket was KLM, flightnumber on the boaridng pass was with KLM, my frequent flyer number was on the KLM-issued boarding pass - but the ticket was on OS stock (other flight on that ticket were on OS). Funnily enough, when I viewed the reservation on the KL website it told me how many miles and how many XP I would earn (which leads me to conclude that they *can* calculate their share of the fare. So it's not an issue of "we cannot calculate the amount because we don't know what part of the fare belongs to us")

Is that true? Mileage earning only when the ticket is issued on ticket stock of a Skyteam airline? The Flying Blue website says "Earn Miles for every € you spend on Air France, KLM, Joon and HOP!-marketed flights". If "marketed" means "booked under a KL/AF flight number" then mileage earning should be possible. If "marketed" means "issued on ticket stock of an airline whose flights allow credits for FB" then indeed I woulnd't get miles.

Anyone can help? I simply cannot believe this explanation - after all, KLM got their money, and I flew on one of their planes and a KL flight number. Why does ticket stock matter?
this is all BS, as you rightly guessed (there is no such provisions in the T&C of the program). Who did you call ? FB or the Plat line ? HUCA is definitely the best thing to do. Or do it “old fashion” by sending a letter with your BP to FB by regular mail.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Feb 6, 19, 1:05 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 6,203
I had called Palt line. The lady tried for 15 Minutes. As it didn’t work she checked with FB and called me back, telling me that my flight was not éligible for mileage earning.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Feb 6, 19, 2:53 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 2,018
Based on which T&C was this flight deemed not eligible? "the computer says NO" or "the computer says ERROR"?
ranskis is offline  
Old Feb 6, 19, 3:12 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 6,203
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
Based on which T&C was this flight deemed not eligible? "the computer says NO" or "the computer says ERROR"?
Probably not based on T&C of Flying Blue, but of T&C of that employee (not the lady at the Plat line but the chap at FB who gave her that information). Employee's personal T&Cs stipulate that if there is a problem too tedious to solve then an excuse will be made up and the request be refused ;-)

I'll report back, as this may be useful information for others as well.
NickB likes this.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Feb 6, 19, 3:47 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
Posts: 1,485
Yes, total ......... My experience is that, even if the Platinum Line can handle FB requests, they are clearly not trained enough for a little more complex issues like yours. Contacting FB through their website can be an option.
olivedel is offline  
Old Feb 6, 19, 4:34 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 6,203
Originally Posted by olivedel View Post
Yes, total ......... My experience is that, even if the Platinum Line can handle FB requests, they are clearly not trained enough for a little more complex issues like yours. Contacting FB through their website can be an option.
True - but in this particular case it was the FB agent that the Plat line had called to get help who told her that. The Plat lady was really going out of her way to be helpful.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:17 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 23,956
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post


The Plat lady was really going out of her way to be helpful.
I'm not sure that leading you down the garden path - no matter how "polite" and "helpful" in spirit she may have been while doing so - actually qualifies as being helpful!
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 19, 2:47 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 543
Originally Posted by Oxymore View Post
I recall seeing a similar post on this forum where a traveler had been rerouted on AF by a *A or OW carrier and being denied the miles by Flying Blue for the same reason. It's ridiculous and Flying Blue needs to fix this.
See here: In a limbo

SAS (Star Alliance) rebooked someone on KLM and then the OP had trouble crediting the miles, although it is unclear where the OP tried to credit the points.
Some person is offline  
Old Feb 8, 19, 8:27 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 16,067
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post


True - but in this particular case it was the FB agent that the Plat line had called to get help who told her that. The Plat lady was really going out of her way to be helpful.
Don't under-estimate the possibility of miscommunication between employees as another potential source of error. She might have said that the ticket was issued by OS but the FB employee might have understood marketed rather than issued.
Goldorak likes this.
NickB is offline  
Old Feb 8, 19, 1:50 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 13,971
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Don't under-estimate the possibility of miscommunication between employees as another potential source of error. She might have said that the ticket was issued by OS but the FB employee might have understood marketed rather than issued.
Indeed, that can be a plausible explanation.
@San Gottardo, don't give up !
Goldorak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread