FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Best routes to Australia? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1954574-best-routes-australia.html)

PeteM01 Feb 4, 2019 8:07 am

Best routes to Australia?

Hi All

I may be picking up some consultancy work in Australia later this year. Obviously, I will be holding out for J travel but would probably would accept Y/W if the consultancy fees are reasonable (allowing some upgrade/self purchase of J).

Looking back over the threads on AF/KLM flights to Aus, the situation seems rather complicated so I am looking for recommendations for the best XP-earning routes MAN-(CDG/AMS)-XXX-Australia. I know that I can expect XP and FB miles on all AF/KLM coded tickets with the majority (all?) of operators, but what are the best options for Y/W and J travel that would give the best combinations of Priority, Lounge access, FB miles earning and reasonable travel times?

TIA!

Mirk Feb 4, 2019 8:52 am

I travelled last year on China Airlines A350 (all segments) from LGW to Sydney and back from Brisbane in Y and absolutely loved it. The miles earning was also great with a fare around 800£ (the lowest class earning miles -> something to be careful of) which gave me ~ 22k miles.

Their W/J product looked pretty nice but haven't tried.

Zarmakuizz Feb 4, 2019 9:12 am

XP-wise, don't connect at AUH (Etihad's hub). You get a few more XP connecting in South-Eastern Asia, such as SIN or PVG.

siw Feb 4, 2019 9:40 am

Isn't the highest XP route going to be MAN-CDG-ICN-SYD (AF/KE) as CDG-ICN and ICN-SYD are both Long 3? Excluding some long routed daftness going over North America.

If you took something like MAN-AMS-XMN-SYD (KL/MF) the AMS-XMN is Long 3 but XMN-SYD is Long 2. The same goes with via PVG (MU), TPE (CI) and CAN (CZ for now), SGN (VN) and DPS (GA).

Zarmakuizz: Who's going to give XP between SIN and Australia direct? I can only see GA via CGK or DPS.

Zarmakuizz Feb 4, 2019 9:55 am

siw: any Skyteam coded flight will do, even if they are not Skyteam-operated. AF/KL has codeshares with QF from SIN to a few Australian destinations.

Goldorak Feb 5, 2019 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz (Post 30738206)
siw: any Skyteam coded flight will do, even if they are not Skyteam-operated.

This is not correct. For FB members flying on a non-ST airline, only AF- or KL-coded flights (+ a bunch of FB partners) will give you miles and XPs. For instance if you take an AZ-coded flight operated by EY, you will earn nothing in FB.

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz (Post 30738206)
AF/KL has codeshares with QF from SIN to a few Australian destinations.

Those ones will indeed work as they are AFKL-coded.

AF has also some code-shares with SQ ex-SIN. But I don’t know if it covers Australian routes.

Zarmakuizz Feb 5, 2019 1:11 am

Indeed, I forgot that ST airlines have a limitation on their code-share flights. Sorry for the confusion.

sbams Feb 5, 2019 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 30740680)
AF has also some code-shares with SQ ex-SIN. But I don’t know if it covers Australian routes.

Last year it did (but that was before the Qantas tie-up). I flew AMS SIN SYD return in J. AMS SIN was KL and SIN SYD on SQ (the newest A380!). All of the flights were AF coded and the XP 's totaled 132 (2x30 and 2x36). The flights came up as an option on KLM.com and I jumped at the chance to fly the AF coded Singapore A380 as that was something I wouldn't otherwise be inclined to do.

PeteM01 Feb 5, 2019 3:51 am

Thanks everyone!

It is good to know that the AFKLM-coded SQ and QF flights are XP-earning. The route via ICN would be interesting more for the chance of a stop-over in Korea (a country I have not so far visited) than the extra XP, although they are always welcome. A couple more questions:
I assume that AFKLM-coded CZ flights later this year would still earn XP despite them leaving ST?
Does the Plat Service Line accurately confirm XP-earning on flights/fare classes booked through AF or KLM websites?
Am I right to state that AFKLM-coded Y/W flights would not give me lounge access at AUH despite Plat status?

Mwenenzi Feb 5, 2019 4:18 am

Originally Posted by PeteM01 (Post 30737804)
I may be picking up some consultancy work in Australia later this year. Obviously, I will be holding out for J travel but would probably would accept Y/W if the consultancy fees are reasonable (allowing some upgrade/self purchase of J).

What city in Australia? Can make a difference
A lot of possible airlines/routes Eu - Australia with the 3 major alliances/non aligned.

PeteM01 Feb 5, 2019 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30741089)
What city in Australia? Can make a difference
A lot of possible airlines/routes Eu - Australia with the 3 major alliances/non aligned.

SYD/MEL/BNE
I probably won't travel there often enough to pick up status with another airline and don't yet know what class of travel would be paid for. If all J, then it does not matter too much which alliance is used but it would be nice to a) stick to SkyTeam for maintenance of my current status, and b) use my current status to maximise travel perks (priority/lounge access) if travel is in Y/W.

Solevita Feb 5, 2019 4:51 am

Originally Posted by PeteM01 (Post 30741028)
Thanks everyone!

It is good to know that the AFKLM-coded SQ and QF flights are XP-earning. The route via ICN would be interesting more for the chance of a stop-over in Korea (a country I have not so far visited) than the extra XP, although they are always welcome. A couple more questions:
I assume that AFKLM-coded CZ flights later this year would still earn XP despite them leaving ST?
Does the Plat Service Line accurately confirm XP-earning on flights/fare classes booked through AF or KLM websites?
Am I right to state that AFKLM-coded Y/W flights would not give me lounge access at AUH despite Plat status?

I got in the Al Dhabi lounge in AUH when travelling on a KL coded EY flight in November as Plat in Y. May or may not work for AF coded flights.

siw Feb 5, 2019 12:10 pm

As a guide the 5000mi (Long 3) extents from AMS,CDG and BNE,MEL,SYD are here. So stopping anywhere in East and North East Asia for BNE is Long 2 but ICN to MEL and SYD is Long 3, unlike PVG, TPE etc. How about LHR-MEX-ICN-SYD for maxing out those XP!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...611e6043c2.jpg

Ardecos Feb 5, 2019 12:33 pm

What about China Southern via Guangzhou? They have a lot of flights to Australia. Obviously, they will be leaving SkyTeam but it seems you will still get XP and miles in 2019.

Goldorak Feb 5, 2019 12:36 pm

Yes, but it all depends on what you mean by “later this year” ?

I am not sure what you expect from the Plat line. If flights are AF- or KL-coded, you will earn XPs (and miles based on fare paid).

Correct if you speak about EY-operated flights, with possible exceptions for CDG/AMS-bound flights. Keep in mind that KL is flying AMS-AUH so if you are on this service, lounge access is possible.

Originally Posted by Solevita (Post 30741142)
I got in the Al Dhabi lounge in AUH when travelling on a KL coded EY flight in November as Plat in Y. May or may not work for AF coded flights.

I believe you were lucky and this is not the norm, even for KL-coded flights.