A380 JFK-CDG OLCI Upgrade - Worth it?

Old Jan 31, 19, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro
A380 JFK-CDG OLCI Upgrade - Worth it?

Just got offered an OLCI offer of $593 to move from a V fare to J cabin. I've never flown on the A380 (currently hold an upper deck economy seat). Is it worth the $593 on this aircraft on a ~7 hour flight?

Do these upgrades earn further MQD's for Delta? My ticket is Delta stock.
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Only you can decide if you want/can spend this money for that. In my opinion, it is a very good offer and I would jump on it. The J seats in the A380 are clearly not the best of the fleet, but any J is better than Y IMO. And you will have all Sky Priority benefits + lounge access.
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Only you can decide if you want/can spend this money for that. In my opinion, it is a very good offer and I would jump on it. The J seats in the A380 are clearly not the best of the fleet, but any J is better than Y IMO. And you will have all Sky Priority benefits + lounge access.
I get you on the want/can spend money thing. I certainly can, but just want to figure the worth. Typically I jump on offers, especially longer legs. Unfortunately they didn't offer me anything for the 11 hour leg down to Madagascar on the connecting flight.

I should have stated I have Delta Plat Medallion status, as well as an AMEX Plat that gives me lounge benefits as well.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if the A380 J seats are worth it. My understanding is they are not lie flat seats.

Anyone know if the upgrade does qualify for more MQDs on DL if I purchase it?
Old Jan 31, 19, 12:52 pm

I would also probably take it although those seats aren't the best; but I would DEFINITELY take it if you are going to spend 11 hours in coach right after!
Old Jan 31, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
I find the JFK - CDG eastbound flight too short to be worth the upgrade €€ specified but that's just my opinion. However, considering you have a long corresponding flight afterwards, might be worth it if you want to get *some* rest.
Old Jan 31, 19, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlin32 View Post
I find the JFK - CDG eastbound flight too short to be worth the upgrade €€ specified but that's just my opinion. However, considering you have a long corresponding flight afterwards, might be worth it if you want to get *some* rest.
Yes, in the grand scheme $593 is not a lot of money, but I also feel that 6hrs and 40 min of flying time is not unbearable in Y either. I have done longer flights even from OGG-DFW in Y, so I'll live this time. The price is right on the cuff of being a good deal and an "I can live without" one. I suppose that's how they want it though!

I usually do take up airline offers for upgrades (especially going to places like South Africa!), but for some reason I've found myself having a harder time justifying this one. Maybe if it was on a 777 J cabin I would bite, but in the end I think I'm going to hold back this time around and stick with my upper deck DUO seat with (so far) nobody sitting next to me.

Thanks to all for your input! I did weigh all the feedback, and for a moment thought I was going to book it.
Old Feb 1, 19, 4:29 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
Another thing that would have swung it in favour would be if you were passing through frontier contrôle in Paris : The Sky priority can save a lot of time in the queue. But in this case because you will only be transiting, there's not that extra benefit. If you have an empty seat next to you, I find you can use the footrest to help slant sleep/rest against the next seat.

FWIW last fall I had the possibility for 549€ to go from Y to J from IAD-CDG on the 77W BEST and that was a harder call. And I still didn't take it.
Old Feb 3, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: KL Platinum, LA Black, A3 Gold, BA Silver, IB Oro
It is very short flight, I don't think it would be worth for me for 600$. The seats aren't even close to industry standard.
Old Feb 3, 19, 5:41 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Diamond
In terms of price it is not too bad but once I was able to get upgraded from PE to J with only 10000 points on a similar route (IAD-CDG, 6h and 30 minutes). It was 5 years ago, after that it was several times $280 more or less or $30000 points at the check-in or at the lounge. Last december: 41,000 points plus $320... $320 is a good offer, yet the 41,000 were too much. I asked the agent I was said it was holiday season, I have got it because I felt like that but not sure it was a good offer.
Old Feb 4, 19, 12:41 am

593 USD is absolutely a reasonable price. Although the seats are a generation behind, I do find them very comfortable. The only thing that is really too old is the IFE.

Depending on the time of departure, the food in J is really miles ahead compared to Y.
I would go for it if you have the budget for it.
wuzziduzziman likes this.

Search this Thread