FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   SkyTeam Elite+ - AF no longer opening up seat maps? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1946614-skyteam-elite-af-no-longer-opening-up-seat-maps.html)

AirCub1 Dec 19, 2018 8:16 am

SkyTeam Elite+ - AF no longer opening up seat maps?

Hi Everyone

I have SkyTeam Elite Plus status through Alitalia, I currently travel with AF every couple of weeks on European flights to and from Paris. I have noticed in the last three weeks that when I go to check-in online, the full seat map is not now available for me as it used to be, to select a seat, and I am often placed in row 12 or further back. Has something changed recently with AF and the ability to select a seat for SkyTeam Elite Plus members of other programmes?

Mirk Dec 19, 2018 9:30 am

From an AF Platinum point of view, I also noticed a decrease in term of seats available immediately after check-in opens.

AirCub1 Dec 19, 2018 11:44 am

Something has definitely changed.

canadavid Dec 19, 2018 2:38 pm

Is this Joon flights?
I have noticed such things on a coming Flight to Stockholm...

Xandrios Dec 19, 2018 3:04 pm

I noticed that my seat reservation for an AF flight AMS-CDG in early Jan was changed; From 7C to 9C and now to 12C. Now the seat map does not let me choose anything before row 11 (exit row). What's going on :(

AirCub1 Dec 19, 2018 3:53 pm

It happens to me on both AF and JOON. I’ve just checked the seat map again for my flight tomorrow to Birmingham from CDG and I have now been given a middle exit row seat and the rest of the seat map is blocked out. There is no possible way that this flight is full, it never is and even though we are in the run-up to Christmas, I very much doubt tomorrow’s will be. Therefore I can only assume that there is a fault with the AF system regarding seat access for STE+ members or they’ve changed the rules. Not good.

Goldorak Dec 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 30554362)
I noticed that my seat reservation for an AF flight AMS-CDG in early Jan was changed; From 7C to 9C and now to 12C. Now the seat map does not let me choose anything before row 11 (exit row). What's going on :(

curtain moved ?

Xandrios Dec 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 30555766)

curtain moved ?

Actually..yes. You're absolutely right, they moved the curtain from row 4 (I think) all the way until the exit row. A bit surprising to have such a large business cabin, but at least this is a proper reason to be reseated ;)

Fabo.sk Dec 21, 2018 2:22 pm

AMS-CDG is notoriously premium heavy, I expect due to all the long haul connections.

I've seen once even curtain behind exit row.

AlexBelt Dec 23, 2018 4:55 am

In some flights, mostly on "La Navette" flights they used to place the Platinum members on the first rows of the cabin. Now, they have a policy where if you are "Abonné" and paid full fare or just normal passenger and paid full fare, they have right to the seats on the front of the cabin. Therefore, the Platinums having paid basic fare or weekend fare or other are kicked to the back of the cabin...Proof that if you are Platinum who spent a lot on travelling during the year but you bought a low fare ticket, they don't care...Not really nice as the loyalty counts less and less...

Goldorak Dec 23, 2018 8:43 am

Originally Posted by AlexBelt (Post 30566828)
In some flights, mostly on "La Navette" flights they used to place the Platinum members on the first rows of the cabin. Now, they have a policy where if you are "Abonné" and paid full fare or just normal passenger and paid full fare, they have right to the seats on the front of the cabin. Therefore, the Platinums having paid basic fare or weekend fare or other are kicked to the back of the cabin...Proof that if you are Platinum who spent a lot on travelling during the year but you bought a low fare ticket, they don't care...Not really nice as the loyalty counts less and less...

I have never witnessed this. I was and am still always seated at the front of the cabin even on light fares.

AlexBelt Dec 23, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 30567270)
I have never witnessed this. I was and am still always seated at the front of the cabin even on light fares.

Hi Goldorak,

Thanks for your reply. Interesting as it happens to me lately on ORY-MRS-ORY flights. Maybe is because you're Ultimate Platinum? I'm Platinum since 4 years now and fly quite a lot. Every time I experience this I call the Platinum line and get such answer as mentioned above (which has been inconsistent as they say also is a weight and balance issue, airport blocking the seats, or simply they can't move you to another seat because...) I've reported this to the agents at the airport, Platinum Line, and even to the purser when he/she approaches to say hi.

In any case I feel this not really nice from them.

Cheers,

Alex

Goldorak Dec 24, 2018 2:52 am

Originally Posted by AlexBelt (Post 30568260)
Hi Goldorak,

Thanks for your reply. Interesting as it happens to me lately on ORY-MRS-ORY flights. Maybe is because you're Ultimate Platinum? I'm Platinum since 4 years now and fly quite a lot. Every time I experience this I call the Platinum line and get such answer as mentioned above (which has been inconsistent as they say also is a weight and balance issue, airport blocking the seats, or simply they can't move you to another seat because...) I've reported this to the agents at the airport, Platinum Line, and even to the purser when he/she approaches to say hi.

In any case I feel this not really nice from them.

Cheers,

Alex

I thought about it (Ultimate), but frankly I am not sure. I have a close relative who is "regular" platinum travelling sometimes on domestic lines from ORY who has not had this problem. So as you are several here reporting this, it worths to report it to AF.

NickB Dec 25, 2018 12:23 pm

My experience matches that of Alexbelt on a recent cheapo (€50 o/w) MRS-ORY flight, where I was shifted way back despite being Plat and no seat available to me in the first 15 rows. Later on, however, they did move me much further forward.

skycruiserNL Dec 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Last week, CDG-LYS on a “mini” fare. Nothing available in front of row 11 for me (A321). Also during check-in, not became available. The seats in front (row 4-10) got occupied by -from my own judgement- a very random selection of passengers incl. small children/families.

Goldorak Dec 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by skycruiserNL (Post 30575803)
Last week, CDG-LYS on a “mini” fare. Nothing available in front of row 11 for me (A321). Also during check-in, not became available. The seats in front (row 4-10) got occupied by -from my own judgement- a very random selection of passengers incl. small children/families.

So maybe there is an Ultimate effect, as I flew the exact same route (CDG-LYS) last week and return, also on a Mini fare, and at check-in I was assigned at row 1 for both flights :confused:

SkyteamEP Dec 26, 2018 4:00 pm

I booked a CDG - LHR for mid april on a mini fare yesterday. I'm Platinum and I could select row 3 and 5, which are both right after the curtain.

Zarmakuizz Dec 30, 2018 1:45 pm

I keep taking the cheapest fares. On Domestic AF and Hop flights, I am almost always in row 1. I am a regular platinum.

catsniper75 Jan 16, 2019 1:00 am

Non-FB STE+ - Mini fare - Front seat available?

[QUOTE=AirCub1;30552762]
Hi Everyone

I have SkyTeam Elite Plus status through Alitalia, I currently travel with AF every couple of weeks on European flights to and from Paris. I have noticed in the last three weeks that when I go to check-in online, the full seat map is not now available for me as it used to be, to select a seat, and I am often placed in row 12 or further back. Has something changed recently with AF and the ability to select a seat for SkyTeam Elite Plus members of other programmes?
[/QUOTE​​​​​​]

Hello,
As a soon to be UX STE+, I would like to know if by chance any Fréquent flyer here under a non-FB STE+ Status travelling with a Mini fare (G or Q) was able to reserve a front of cabin seat on AF medium-haul flights?

Tonin Jan 16, 2019 3:42 am

Plat, waiting to become Plat4Life in April and it has happened to me last week, for the first time in the last 10 years +. A regular "la navette" flight, inbound in Flex, return in Smart. Row 1 for the first flight, no option to get better than row 10 for the return (far from being full at the end) :-(
Ultimate is (I hope) probably helping in maintaining that perk. But if they want to run the company only counting on Ultimate profile, they'll be a bit short...

Tonin

catsniper75 Jan 16, 2019 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Tonin (Post 30660799)
Plat, waiting to become Plat4Life in April and it has happened to me last week, for the first time in the last 10 years +. A regular "la navette" flight, inbound in Flex, return in Smart. Row 1 for the first flight, no option to get better than row 10 for the return (far from being full at the end) :-(
Ultimate is (I hope) probably helping in maintaining that perk. But if they want to run the company only counting on Ultimate profile, they'll be a bit short...

Tonin

Any way to get this seating restrictions waived by calling AF hotline for Any STE+?

Tonin Jan 16, 2019 5:12 am

Originally Posted by catsniper75 (Post 30660841)

Any way to get this seating restrictions waived by calling AF hotline for Any STE+?

Probably... but I don't want to beg, yet another reason for me to move away when possible. With my flying pattern, award miles very limited compared to the cost for getting a free ticket, no seat in front anymore (cost 10€ on EZY), lounge overcrowded (I prefer to pay a good beer in a pub than being squeezed to get a tepid heiXXken), priority boarding is totally useless as we are all Elite+ nowadays, sky priority for security is already included when taking business. Their strategy is clearly to focus on very high contributors so no contradiction here, I'm just not part of them, despite 25k-30k€ spent on average per year, since almost 20 years... Most important perks for me are the one related to a smooth experience in the airport: fast track, getting out of the aircraft quickly, passport check. In that way the Ultimate vision is really aligned (on the paper) but too high for me to even think about it.

lynxy Jan 16, 2019 5:32 am

This week-end I took a CDG - TLS flight with my girlfriend, both Platinum, and the best option offered was.... Row 17. The last time I was this far back on a flight was Transavia the week before (row 22), but with them you can board by the rear :D

carnarvon Jan 16, 2019 8:58 am

2 PAX / one non status / seat plus for free

Just flew CDG/PRG/CDG with a dirt cheap OK ticket AF metal. 2 PAX / one PNR. OLCI on AF website.

CDG/PRG. Full A321.

Had been assigned 2 exit row seats 10 B & C. I do not like the middle seat. I could change to 25 C&D, but thought it was too far to the back. There were plenty of available seats at the back, but the front of the cabin was showing very few available seats and no 2 aisle. A call to the Plat line solved the problem. I got 16 C&D.

PRG/CDG. Full A320

Had been assigned 2 exit row seats 11 E & F. This is the first exit row of 2 (seats don't recline / middle seat is bad). 2nd exit row 12 was free. I could move to 12 C & D but the system was asking for 18 € for the no status pax. A call to Plat line solved the problem. She managed to assign him 12 D at no extra cost.

P.S. unrelated, but worth mentioning. As I got to my seat, I noticed a red pillow with a hand written note and a bottle of water. The note had been written by the chief purser and was wishing me a good flight and a nice day.

catsniper75 Feb 22, 2019 6:37 am

AF - CDG - PRG - Sunday PM - Seat 2-6 min avail - STE+ - Mini

Hello,

Recently became a STE+ pax (UX Gold) and from my new experience, I am able to select a seat before check-in starting row 2-6 (Same seating map as Flex fares on Medium-haul tickets).
Flight In 3 months: row 2
Flight in 1 month: row 6
So it depends of how big is J class, the availabilities maybe and proportion of status pax on some routes maybe?
There is no particular blockage (just middle of the plane and some seat at the back on the left side).

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...378a64a550.png
AF MH

Goldorak Feb 23, 2019 1:42 am

Originally Posted by catsniper75 (Post 30809057)
Hello,

Recently became a STE+ pax (UX Gold) and from my new experience, I am able to select a seat before check-in starting row 2-6 (Same seating map as Flex fares on Medium-haul tickets).
Flight In 3 months: row 2
Flight in 1 month: row 6
So it depends of how big is J class, the availabilities maybe and proportion of status pax on some routes maybe?
There is no particular blockage (just middle of the plane and some seat at the back on the left side).

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...378a64a550.png
AF MH

You gave the answer : the size of the J cabin varies for each route and each flight from 1 row to 10 or maybe more. And it can change several times until the day before the flight.

delanotre Feb 25, 2019 3:42 am

I next fly to PVG from CDG and return in F
The return seat map is not available on the AF website, same on AF mobile app.
I phoned to Plat line and the (charming voice) told me it is perhaps there will be a plane change (A380 to B777), but she confirmed my return seat (2L) on A380
So, I have a big issue: should I be downgraded to biz as there are only 4 seats in B777 First vs 9 in A380.

lynxy Feb 25, 2019 5:35 am

Nice experience today: I booked a CDG - MAN - CDG with my gf (also plat) and my parents (no status at all), and I was able to select 4 seats at row 4 of the aircraft for free on both flights! Nice perk for once!

nldogbert Feb 25, 2019 6:22 am

Originally Posted by lynxy (Post 30818869)
Nice experience today: I booked a CDG - MAN - CDG with my gf (also plat) and my parents (no status at all), and I was able to select 4 seats at row 4 of the aircraft for free on both flights! Nice perk for once!

Sorry, but I don't see what's nice about this perk - row 4 are just normal seats but in the front of the plane - I don't think they are Siege+ seats or any additional leg room seats. (or are these seats normally also for an upcharge?)

If it was for the Eco+ seats like those on KLM, that would be a nice perk.

Cheers!

BA6501 Feb 25, 2019 6:29 am

Originally Posted by delanotre (Post 30818640)
I next fly to PVG from CDG and return in F
The return seat map is not available on the AF website, same on AF mobile app.
I phoned to Plat line and the (charming voice) told me it is perhaps there will be a plane change (A380 to B777), but she confirmed my return seat (2L) on A380
So, I have a big issue: should I be downgraded to biz as there are only 4 seats in B777 First vs 9 in A380.

First, check how busy your flight is in F.

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 30818973)
Sorry, but I don't see what's nice about this perk - row 4 are just normal seats but in the front of the plane - I don't think they are Siege+ seats or any additional leg room seats. (or are these seats normally also for an upcharge?)

Cheers!

Because non-status pax often get the choice of a handful of seats towards the rear.

catsniper75 Feb 25, 2019 7:24 am

Y : STE+ / Flex pax : front and rear // STE and non-status : rear depending on class

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 30819000)

Because non-status pax often get the choice of a handful of seats towards the rear.

Yes it is not the best benefit ever but for AF Medium-haul seating arrangement point of view, it is a relatively good Perk.
When I was Silver STE, I could only select from row 19 with a mini fare while non-status Y pax under a higher booking class could select rows 10-19.
Flex or Gold STE+ can select front and read regardless of the booking class.

Summary and if I am not mistaken, here is the following seating selection possibilities in Y medium-haul AF flights:
- STE+ / Flex and maybe Abonnés pax : front and rear except middle according to J cabin size. Plat get exit row fee waived.
- STE and non-status : middle or rear depending on the booking class booked with the possibility for STE to choose before check-in their limited seats.

lynxy Feb 26, 2019 2:34 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 30818973)

AFAIK, non-status pax cannot select seats before OLCI, and even then often not at the front of the plane. In this case, I'm certain that all 4 of us are seated together and will disembark at the same time :) So sure, those are not economy comfort seats, but still, it's nice.

Goldorak Feb 26, 2019 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by lynxy (Post 30822647)
AFAIK, non-status pax cannot select seats before OLCI

Yes I think they can but for a fee.

Fabo.sk Feb 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 30824565)
Yes I think they can but for a fee.

On AF I think yes, but for a fee and only in back.
On KL anywhere for a fee, which is lower for status pax.