Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

A special end-of-year sale to thank you for being part of Flying Blue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:15 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

Dear Mr Xandrios,

We invite you to check your Miles and XP counter.

And while you are there, why not take a moment to discover all the exclusive offers we have prepared for you?

We wish you very happy holidays and a happy new year.

Warm regards,
Your Flying Blue team
Anyone else received such email from FB? They make it sound like they gifted some bonus miles/XP's...but that is not the case (for me at least). No clue why they invite me to check my balance then?

Also..no special sale to be found. .
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Anyone else received such email from FB? They make it sound like they gifted some bonus miles/XP's...but that is not the case (for me at least). No clue why they invite me to check my balance then?

Also..no special sale to be found. .
Same here. Nothing out of the ordinary nor any specials to be found.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine is in Dutch

Beste meneer Rebel,

Het jaar is bijna ten einde: tijd om de balans op te maken. Wat is de status van uw Miles en XP?

En nu we toch uw aandacht hebben: bekijk ook eens onze speciale aanbiedingen.

Fijne feestdagen en een gelukkig nieuwjaar!

Met vriendelijke groet,
Uw Flying Blue-team

Further down in the e-mail there's a picture of a female with an inexplicable preference for various shades of orange and an expression as if she is suffering mental health issues. According to the caption, she is encouraging me to apply for an Amex Card.

Johan
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The Dutch version is much clearer. They don't invite you to check your XP level because of a change (which is implied in the English email), but rather to just see your final XP count for the year.

So basically FB just doesn't know how to communicate in English.. My English isn't great either, but at least I don't write emails that go out to a bazillion people..
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The Dutch version is much clearer. They don't invite you to check your XP level because of a change (which is implied in the English email), but rather to just see your final XP count for the year.

So basically FB just doesn't know how to communicate in English.. My English isn't great either, but at least I don't write emails that go out to a bazillion people..
The French version is also bad. It says "Offre spéciale de fin d'année pour vous remercier de faire partie de Flying Blue". But then no special offer described at all in the e-mail, just a statement saying that the end of the year is approaching and that I should check my XP balance...
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
I also got the same message in Italian. It is a bit less confusing: simply ask to check the XP counter and check promotions on Awards while they wish you Seasons Greetings (wich for an average Italian in Christmas time sounds a bit impersonal altough politically correct).
Certainly we would expect something better...a coupon would be nicer but I can understand that the financial situation is not the best one....even though they are not offering any coupon/discount even for the birthday.
In the past I got only once from KLM...never from AF while Swiss, Austrian and LH send me at least 1-2 times a year each coupon such coupons!
Maybe I have only to wait New Years Eve....
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
The Dutch version also mentions a headline with "update your profile, then we'll upgrade your travel experience". Not really sure what exactly will be upgraded.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I forwarded the email to the Ultimate TA team who replied that, after having checked with FB, there is no special offer and that this email could be a phishing attempt...I'm not kidding
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
In case this is a phishing attempt they might investigate their systems for a data breach, since the email mentioned my Flying Blue number ;-)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
No clue why they invite me to check my balance then?
Because for the vast majority of members, the period in which to collect XP to climb/maintain status is about to end!!!

(And so that when people discover that their miles have expired, they can't say that Flying Blue didn't alert them to check their accounts!!!)
glennhaak likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Many
I have also received the email. And this morning (Singapore time) another one:

Ready for your reward?
Buy Miles before 31 December 2018 and get 75% bonus Miles to spend instantly on the reward of your choice. Whether it's a one way to the beach, or more comfort on board!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:51 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by bodory
I have also received the email. And this morning (Singapore time) another one:
Based in TPE, and I also received the same message today, titled "Life’s a beach" with a sunny beach house photo (doesn't work well with the season though).

I checked their website and it's indeed 75% bonus, ie.buy 4,000 mile for EUR110, and you get another 3,000 miles (7,000 miles total).
Can go all the way up to EUR2,750 for 100,000 + 75,000 miles. Which is nearly a Europe-Asia round trip Business Class award ticket?

Is it worth it?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by tya
Based in TPE, and I also received the same message today, titled "Life’s a beach" with a sunny beach house photo (doesn't work well with the season though).

I checked their website and it's indeed 75% bonus, ie.buy 4,000 mile for EUR110, and you get another 3,000 miles (7,000 miles total).
Can go all the way up to EUR2,750 for 100,000 + 75,000 miles. Which is nearly a Europe-Asia round trip Business Class award ticket?

Is it worth it?
I haven't checked fares on CI from TPE to Europe but I spent roughly that amount for a R/T from Europe to Japan with a stop-over in TPE. The trip will result in ~30k miles & 100-odd XP. So...I'd say no for the money as you could get something more than just a flight for the same price.

EDIT: Sorry, it was more like €2,300

Last edited by NumbThumb; Dec 18, 2018 at 1:57 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by tya
Same email. "Life’s a beach": such a classy wording.

Originally Posted by tya

Is it worth it?
Not for me. On AF it is impossible to get decent pricing in miles for J awards on the SIN-CDG route during my usual dates of travel. KL is better but involves a stop in AMS. And if I have to stop, I can get decent fares under 2000 EUR with VN. Availability is very good.

2750+ EUR remains a lot in my opinion to play the award pricing roulette of FB.
NickB likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Originally Posted by bodory
2750+ EUR remains a lot in my opinion to play the award pricing roulette of FB.
I fully quote and agree with this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.