Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF Gift cards (Free 30 euro bonus)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by r0gerthat
Thanks! Can these cards be used to buy a ticket for anyone or only the name you put when buying it? If the latter, I guess this needs to match the passport name as well....
just the name you put when buying ... even if you buy 2 tickets at the same time will only apply to one
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by r0gerthat
Thanks! Can these cards be used to buy a ticket for anyone or only the name you put when buying it?
only for the person designated at time of purchase.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Cheers, just bought two!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Do these gift cards get the 15% booking bonus applicable to AFKL travel vouchers?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Do these gift cards get the 15% booking bonus applicable to AFKL travel vouchers?
unlikely, as they already had a bonus on purchase.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: FB Plat
I do confirm there is no bonus added when using them (although I do not know if this applies only to gift cards or in general to vouchers issued before the Covid crisis).
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
A voucher issued as a result of a cancelled trip, whether cancelled by the airline or by the passenger, is NOT an AF Gift card.

If and whether AF Gift Cards are issued with a different nominal amount than the fee charged, that is something that is governed by the terms applicable to your transaction at the time you agreed to buy a gift card. Even in these rare cases, the gift card will bear this "higher" amount right from the start; a "top-up" applied to a Gift Card is never subject to subsequent events in this manner; it can only have been offered by the airline from the start, in a bid to convince the intending passenger to part with their cash.

No AF Gift Card will retroactively or retrospectively be "topped up" to an amount greater than the monies paid for the reasons you suggest in your question.

A flight booking which was made (partially) using an AF Gift Card may give rise to the issuance of a voucher with 15% extra applied. However, under no circumstances will an AF Gift Card receive the "top up" you are enquiring about. It is simply not a mechanism that applies to Gift cards. To get one of these 15% vouchers, you first have to cancel a flight. If you are holding an AF Gift card, you haven't yet "swapped" it for a flight, and so can't have a cancellation that would give rise to a 15% voucher.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 1, 2020 at 1:50 am
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
A flight booking which was made (partially) using an AF Gift Card may give rise to the issuance of a voucher with 15% extra applied. However, under no circumstances will an AF Gift Card receive the "top up" you are enquiring about. It is simply not a mechanism that applies to Gift cards. To get one of these 15% vouchers, you first have to cancel a flight. If you are holding an AF Gift card, you haven't yet "swapped" it for a flight, and so can't have a cancellation that would give rise to a 15% voucher.
I had flights over Easter from LHR-AMS (2x) that I booked with these gift cards but then had to cancel due to covid. The original flight was the full EUR 180 + an additional GBP11 (2x)
When I spoke to the FB PSL about the cancellation the representative was a bit surprised or confused that he had to give out a voucher for a flight already paid for in vouchers. He said he'll do it anyway.
So, I'm now sitting on two new vouchers for approx EUR193 which were issued due to covid cancellations.
I'm thinking these might give the extra 15%?

I'm looking to book LHR-AMS for end of August. Can report back how this worked out
nerdbirdsjc likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 4:20 am

So.. LHR-AMS is not expensive enough to qualify for the bonus, ticket price < voucher value.
But when I tried a dummy booking for a more expensive ticket, it qualifies for the bonus. Perfect
nerdbirdsjc, lynxy and Wil973 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
You cannot use an EMD to pay the taxes of an award ticket. I never understood why but this is it.
I'm not sure if this has come up again more recently, but is this still the case? I never really cared before, but now that I have collected quite a few EMDs (not only the gift cards that are the topic of this thread, but now also several Covid-19 vouchers) and since I have no incentive to go after more XPs during my current qualification period, I may finally have an opportunity to burn some miles in the next few months. Has anyone attempted to use a voucher for the cash portion of an award ticket booking (taxes and/or cash+miles)?
Old Jul 17, 2020, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DeppityDawg
Has anyone attempted to use a voucher for the cash portion of an award ticket booking (taxes and/or cash+miles)?
I don't think that's possible...Flying Blue is effectively a third party or "travel agent" and they require the tax elements in cold hard cash.

Having just stepped through an FB booking on the KLM website, payment by voucher/EMD is not an option made available in the booking flow.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Until June 17th or up to 2000 cards. US website have own limit of 2000 cards.
https://cartecadeau.airfrance.com/fr/
Old Jun 11, 2021, 4:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks for posting! Probably not the smartest thing I ever did due to uncertainties regarding covid, but I decided to invest in one of these once more. Especially with the x2 XP promo this would be a nice additional discount..
Old Jun 12, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Still not sure if it's a good idea to get one of these. I see in the TCs that it's valid for 12 months, so one should think about using it pretty much immediately just in case the Covid situation gets bad again. I think €150 is a safe amount to aim for, not more
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Combined with the referral offer of the afkl amex gold (150€ cashback + 50€ discount), you can get a 380€ ticket value with a 150€ investment.

I am sure a lot of people here can share you a link if needed.
Mirendo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.