Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No-guest lounge access at CDG 2D

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
No-guest lounge access at CDG 2D

Hi everyone,

I have had a long and constructive conversation with the Plat line about AF no-guest policy at CDG 2D.

I complained on 31st October got no answer and complained again today.

I followed up with a phone call to the Plat line asking them to support my complaint, with which the lady I spoke with agreed emphatically.

I would therefore suggest that it may be the right time for all of us to send the same complaint to AF.
  • AF promises guest lounge access but does not deliver in a consistent manner, leading to embarrassment when (such as myself), one wants to take a client into the lounge and be sent off.
  • Examples :
    • CDG/HEL AF coded AY metal: no guest. Third party lounge.
    • HEL/CDG AF coded AY metal: 1 guest. Third party lounge as well, but different policy.
    • CDG/VIE AF coded AF metal: 1 guest
    • CDG/VIE AF coded OS metal: no guest
    • CDG/PRG AF coded AF metal: 1 guest
    • CDG/PRG AF coded OK metal: no guest
    • more examples abound.
If quite a few of us write to AF complaining about the the no-guest policy at CDG 2D for AF most treasured customers, they may notice.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I agree, this is hardly understandable for us, expert on FT, so guess for other pax...

Originally Posted by carnarvon
  • Examples :
    • CDG/HEL AF coded AY metal: no guest. Third party lounge.
    • HEL/CDG AF coded AY metal: 1 guest. Third party lounge as well, but different policy.
    • CDG/VIE AF coded AF metal: 1 guest
    • CDG/VIE AF coded OS metal: no guest
    • CDG/PRG AF coded AF metal: 1 guest
    • CDG/PRG AF coded OK metal: no guest
    • more examples abound
Bolding is mine. Are you sure about this one ? Because, OK being in ST, it shouldn't make any difference if you are on AF or OK metal. The ST rules apply here and Elite+ are allowed one guest.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I agree, this is hardly understandable for us, expert on FT, so guess for other pax...

Bolding is mine. Are you sure about this one ? Because, OK being in ST, it shouldn't make any difference if you are on AF or OK metal. The ST rules apply here and Elite+ are allowed one guest.
This is what the guy at the lounge desk told me last time I was discussing it with him. He said OK Plus Gold members could have a guest on OK flights, but not FB.

I will ask again in 2 weeks, going through both scenarii for a FB Elite+: AFcoded and OK coded, am confident he will say again that AF contract with them says "no guests" for AF coded flights, whichever metal we are flying.

It could be that OK coded flights are treated differently (one guest), but in this case this is what OK (not AF) would have agreed with the lounge regarding all ST Elite+ pax.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This is what the guy at the lounge desk told me last time I was discussing it with him. He said OK Plus Gold members could have a guest on OK flights, but not FB.

I will ask again in 2 weeks, going through both scenarii for a FB Elite+: AFcoded and OK coded, am confident he will say again that AF contract with them says "no guests" for AF coded flights, whichever metal we are flying.

It could be that OK coded flights are treated differently (one guest), but in this case this is what OK (not AF) would have agreed with the lounge regarding all ST Elite+ pax.
If they refuse the guest, AF- or OK-coded, it is against the Skyteam rules, so you have grounds for complaining. Keep us posted

Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Excellent. Thank you. I will report.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh no, one of the things I have really appreciated about FB and SkyTeam so far is the consistency of application of elite benefits. This sounds like Lufthansa and their ridiculous opaque rules and regulations about this. As always, I believe if I manage to get into a lounge then I always treat it like a lucky break, rather than something I’m entitled to. Should never have to be like that.
bbhewee likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Have just been through the lounge and had a nice talk with the lady at the desk.

The rule is simple : no guest for FB. Ever. Whatever the metal or marketing carrier.

The irony is that if you fly to PRG with OK metal on AF marketed flight, you will be allowed a guest if you have an OK+ Gold card (I repeat: not if you have a FB card).

She told me as well that they get flak all day from frustrated AF Elite PAX who cannot take a guest in.

Quite telling is the visit of an AF guy a few days ago. She told him about the issue but the guy could not care less. His only concern was not AF customers' comfort, wellbeing or comments.

She was astonished that what seemed to matter most to him was that they would not allow guests. He was very insistent about it. He made sure they knew the rule and were following it.
AlvinMaker likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Have just been through the lounge and had a nice talk with the lady at the desk.

The rule is simple : no guest for FB. Ever. Whatever the metal or marketing carrier.

The irony is that if you fly to PRG with OK metal on AF marketed flight, you will be allowed a guest if you have an OK+ Gold card (I repeat: not if you have a FB card).

She told me as well that they get flak all day from frustrated AF Elite PAX who cannot take a guest in.

Quite telling is the visit of an AF guy a few days ago. She told him about the issue but the guy could not care less. His only concern was not AF customers' comfort, wellbeing or comments.

She was astonished that what seemed to matter most to him was that they would not allow guests. He was very insistent about it. He made sure they knew the rule and were following it.
Thank you for reporting here. As said, this is against ST rules and so, it should not happen. Please report to both AF customer service and ST (there is a contact form on ST website).
I believe they have this rule for non-ST code-share partners (OS, AY ?) but it should not happen with OK.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you for reporting here. As said, this is against ST rules and so, it should not happen. Please report to both AF customer service and ST (there is a contact form on ST website).
Been told that capacity is the reason. I have answered quoting FB rules.

I believe they have this rule for non-ST code-share partners (OS, AY ?)
Your quote from FB rules says that the FF pax himself would not be allowed into the lounge if the metal is not ST. So AF may be more generous than the rule regarding this point.

This restriction defeats the purpose of a code share flight which is for the airline to fly their pax with their ticket to places their metal does not fly to.

This should not make any difference to the pax whose money has gone to AF, irrespective of the operating carriers's alliance. Don't you agree?

Last edited by carnarvon; Dec 18, 2018 at 7:46 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Been told that capacity is the reason. I have answered quoting FB rules.

Your quote from FB rules says that the FF pax himself would not be allowed into the lounge if the metal is not ST. So AF may be more generous than the rule regarding this point.

This restriction defeats the purpose of a code share flight which is for the airline to fly their pax with their ticket to places their metal does not fly to.

This should not make any difference to the pax whose money has gone to AF, irrespective of the operating carriers's alliance. Don't you agree?
When it comes to ST carriers, ST rules are very clear for guests of Elite+ pax :

Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
I believe they have this rule for non-ST code-share partners (OS, AY ?) but it should not happen with OK.
it happened to me on a AF Coded flight operated by Bulgaria Air (FB). Couldn’t invite a guest.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In these cases, was the attempted guest departing on a SkyTeam flight?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by BA6948

it happened to me on a AF Coded flight operated by Bulgaria Air (FB). Couldn’t invite a guest.
Yes, but Bulgaria Air is not in Skyteam.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:04 pm

I can confirm this (Elite+). It happened to me mid-november (Business class ticket) on that very flight CDG>PRG, trying to bring a guest with me. I ended up loading up my bag with food, drinks and papers and taking them elsewhere to share with my guest. Went back for seconds.

Last edited by ponchokatten; Dec 26, 2018 at 11:20 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Yes, but Bulgaria Air is not in Skyteam.
Correct, but even if the metal is Skyteam, they do not allow a guest at CDG 2D.

Furthermore, you will agree that this Skyteam metal "rule" is nonsense. As long as we buy a ticket from AF, with an AF flight number, we should be treated the same as on any AF coded flight, shouldn't we? Especially when AF controls the access to the lounge via the contract they sign with Sheltair such as in CDG 2D.

In my latest case, this was not a cheap ticket. Over € 400 each. They sold one ticket to my client only because I insisted he flew AF coded (I knew we would have access to the lounge in HEL). Otherwise, he would have bought from AY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.