Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue Regular Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Great thread this, really relevant to my current situation. My recent trip to Moscow with AF was fine but nothing special. Crews were totally friendly and decent. The food in Business was like a school dinner canteen, though. WHAT has happened to AF??

Otherwise, no ongoing experience to report as yet.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Billyfergus
Well I am platinum (wife is gold but with all the bookings we have made, she will be platinum this coming year) and had a "bad" experience last week where platinum did nothing to help us. Partly my fault I guess but booked the tickets on Delta direct instead of going through KLM or AF. Get decent prices heading to Orlando via Detroit from ABZ-AMS. Not allowed to reserve seats and conditions states seats assigned at check in. Checked in at ABZ to be told on AMS-DTW flights our seats were 52 A and B. Asked if they could change them and told no. Got to gate at AMS and asked KLM lady there if she could change them and she was very surprised a Platinum was so far back on plane. She tried to change but she could not.

Got on plane to find 52 C was occupied by an older type woman who had mobility issues and extremely deaf and not speaking English. When we asked her to move to let us take our seats she was extremely abusive in a language I am not familiar with (we deducted this by her numerous head shakes and her extreme angry look on her face). Did not make the flight very pleasurable as the one time my wife tried to exit to go to toilet she pretended she was asleep and then started making loud groaning noises when my wife had to squeeze past her. The old lady actually called a flight attendant to complain but I explained to the attendant what happened as she understood. Old lady was moaning when my wife came back. We were last off the plane as old lady would not move until all people were off (I know not many rows behind us).

A very unpleasant flight for us and my Platinum did not help at all. I did sent email to Delta to ask if they treated all platinum members from sister airlines the same but so far no reply.
Well I eventually got a reply from Delta which was about as useful as a microwave cooker on a motorcycle.

"I am sorry to learn about the inconveniences caused during your flight due to your seat location.

However, I regret to inform you that if you wish to be allocated at the front of the aircraft you must book your seats in advance"

The problem was I was unable to book any seats in advance however, I have been told, that and Delta "premium" passenger booked in the cheapest KLM or AF flght can prebook their seats. Hardly fair this when it cannot be done the other way.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Delta “premuim” passenger would only mean Diamon medallion though (one level above platinum) or passenger flying J / F.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Boarding a recent CDG-MAN flight, a GA went along the queue, weeding out those not qualified to be in the SP line. When he got to me, he motioned me to head to the back, saying it was business only, ignoring the ‘Platinum’ printed on the ticket. Fortunately, I was right by the SP signage and could point out the invitation to FB elites to board in that line also. We had a short stand off before he shrugged and went to find a new victim. The flight was full and several late boarders had to have bags checked, so my DYKWIA was worthwhile. I have never had this on a short haul flight before. Was the GA confused with the various boarding schemes or indicating the lack of value of FF status?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PeteM01
Boarding a recent CDG-MAN flight, a GA went along the queue, weeding out those not qualified to be in the SP line. When he got to me, he motioned me to head to the back, saying it was business only, ignoring the ‘Platinum’ printed on the ticket. Fortunately, I was right by the SP signage and could point out the invitation to FB elites to board in that line also. We had a short stand off before he shrugged and went to find a new victim. The flight was full and several late boarders had to have bags checked, so my DYKWIA was worthwhile. I have never had this on a short haul flight before. Was the GA confused with the various boarding schemes or indicating the lack of value of FF status?
Thats awkward. But strictly seen do J passengers have priority over Y elite+ passengers.
But apart from Platinum, it also says SK on the boarding pass ?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by BobTL

Thats awkward. But strictly seen do J passengers have priority over Y elite+ passengers.
But apart from Platinum, it also says SK on the boarding pass ?
On long haul, boarding is often J followed by Plat/Gold and the signage reflects this. Here, there was only one SP sign for J, Club2000, Elites etc. To be fair, my boarding pass did not have the red SP symbol having been printed at a nonAF check in, but did have Platinum on it.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:06 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by PeteM01

On long haul, boarding is often J followed by Plat/Gold and the signage reflects this. Here, there was only one SP sign for J, Club2000, Elites etc. To be fair, my boarding pass did not have the red SP symbol having been printed at a nonAF check in, but did have Platinum on it.
Indeed, for Longhaul flights these days, they have 2 zones within the SP boarding, Zone1 would be only for J-class and maybe ULTI's? While all other Elite+ (and Elite) in Zone 2.

OTH, as for Plat experience, yesterday I flew HND-CDG in J, and although no special greeting, I was approached by the cabin crew as one of the earlier ones for my meal choice before they were taken from the rest of the cabin. I believed that there were 3-4 other Platinum in that part of my cabin.
Other than that, nothing more of any recognition.

Cheers!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Indeed, for Longhaul flights these days, they have 2 zones within the SP boarding, Zone1 would be only for J-class and maybe ULTI's? While all other Elite+ (and Elite) in Zone 2.
Zone 1 is for P, J, Ultimates and Club2000. Zone 2 is for W and Elites+ (and Elites).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
The benefit difference between platinum and gold is minimal considering the difference in XP qualifying requirements (66.6% more). Is it the same with other airline programs? I'm quite disappointed that platinum doesn't get more recognition and wish they would do something about this. Do golds also get to board as Zone 2?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Do golds also get to board as Zone 2?
Answer is in my post above yours.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:03 am

FYI, I flew HND-CDG recently in Y, and I was Zone 1 (PFL), whilst my wife was Zone 2 (Plat).

Fred
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
OTH, as for Plat experience, yesterday I flew HND-CDG in J, and although no special greeting, I was approached by the cabin crew as one of the earlier ones for my meal choice before they were taken from the rest of the cabin. I believed that there were 3-4 other Platinum in that part of my cabin.
Other than that, nothing more of any recognition.
Interesting inconsistent experience during a round-trip to Japan in Y end of October.
  • CDG-KIX : I (PFL) received a lot of attention from the crew (chief purser welcomed me, provided drinks from J class and invited me to the business galley, cabin purser enquired about my well being several times...) However, they - almost - ignored my wife (Plat) sitting in the window seat (I was on the aisle seat) .
  • HND-CDG : nada, nothing, zilch, walou, makache...
Long is the road...

Fred
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I would really like, as a Plat, is the possibility to bring an extra guest into the lounge for the rare times I need it, maybe once, at the most, twice per year. That would provide an adequate difference from Gold for me.
rosensfole and PeteM01 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
What I would really like, as a Plat, is the possibility to bring an extra guest into the lounge for the rare times I need it, maybe once, at the most, twice per year. That would provide an adequate difference from Gold for me.

It could be implemented by giving Plats a small number of guest passes. However, the problem would be that it is likely that a large proportion would be used at more or less the same time (viz. matching the start and end of school holidays), leading to unmanageable numbers in lounges. I suppose you could cap numbers, but then you run into the problem that many passengers would feel that the passes are worthless because they cannot use them at the time they most need them and, for AF, this would be shooting themselves in the foot, as an initiative designed to make passengers feel good instead would generate dissatisfaction and resentment .
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe some sort of system where we could reserve it in advance, if we are given a limited number of visits with more than one guest, which would enable them to keep control over numbers and capacity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.