Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue Regular Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I've had several extremely bad experiences and I never had extra attention as a result, regardless of filing claims timely. So I think it might be more random than you think, which is in line with Flying Blue / AFKL IT.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Nice service today.. I have asked for Green tea when asked what I would like to drink ( which I know is not a the standard trolley but have seen some people being given in the previous flights) and was told that after they are done with the service she will bring it to me. Didn’t forget and I was able to enjoy warm drink, nothing out of this world but a little bit that was nice.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:39 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
I guess my 3 years consecutive FB Platinum and being on a full paid J ticket LHR-CDG-BKK rtn still put me lower than the other 27 pax on the BKK-CDG flight, based on the Chief Purser's iPad listing pax in order of statues, ticket type etc.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by siw
I guess my 3 years consecutive FB Platinum and being on a full paid J ticket LHR-CDG-BKK rtn still put me lower than the other 27 pax on the BKK-CDG flight, based on the Chief Purser's iPad listing pax in order of statues, ticket type etc.
What makes you think that?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
I though I might have seen it being mentioned here before but I could not find it. My appologies if I am repeating it.
Yesterday I was told by the Plat service line that the unwritten advantage of giving your Plat status to others by booking an award ticket for them from your account is going to go. The lady said that an exact date is not know yet but it would be in the next few months.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Looks like I'll have the opportunity to reach Platinum at some point before my year is up (end Oct).

Now considering if there's a best approach to moving up to platinum.

First consideration, I could easily avoid the increment trto Platinum by flying one or two TA trips with BA (which would hold my bronze status there - but not too fussed as only normally fly BA to London).

I always fly Economy so see the main benefit of Platinum as getting KL economy comfort seating next to other frequent flyers. I do find 'Front Seats' in KL economy to have a more tolerable array of passengers, so hoping those in EC will be at least as tolerable

Based on my main routes, EDI to ATL and IAD, I reckon most of the economy comfort seats I would prefer are booked way out. So I won't really realise the benefit on trips already schedule after I qualify, as seats are taken.

​​​​​​With that in mind, any strategy to consider around earning/qualification? Qualify asap? Qualify as close to end of my year as possible? If I qualify early Oct (rather than end Oct) I can realise benefits asap, and my status period for platinum will run to end of Oct next year, plus 3 months?

​​​​​​Any reason to avoid going to platinum and carrying over XPs for an easy run at gold? Following year I should easily qualify for gold anyway, although might just miss platinum.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The doomed
Looks like I'll have the opportunity to reach Platinum at some point before my year is up (end Oct).

Now considering if there's a best approach to moving up to platinum.

First consideration, I could easily avoid the increment trto Platinum by flying one or two TA trips with BA (which would hold my bronze status there - but not too fussed as only normally fly BA to London).

I always fly Economy so see the main benefit of Platinum as getting KL economy comfort seating next to other frequent flyers. I do find 'Front Seats' in KL economy to have a more tolerable array of passengers, so hoping those in EC will be at least as tolerable

Based on my main routes, EDI to ATL and IAD, I reckon most of the economy comfort seats I would prefer are booked way out. So I won't really realise the benefit on trips already schedule after I qualify, as seats are taken.

​​​​​​With that in mind, any strategy to consider around earning/qualification? Qualify asap? Qualify as close to end of my year as possible? If I qualify early Oct (rather than end Oct) I can realise benefits asap, and my status period for platinum will run to end of Oct next year, plus 3 months?

​​​​​​Any reason to avoid going to platinum and carrying over XPs for an easy run at gold? Following year I should easily qualify for gold anyway, although might just miss platinum.
Your approach is kind of complicated mate😁
”A more tolerable array of passengers” doesn’t sound that friendly tbh.
Fact is that KLM prohibits the EC seats for free to Platinum or higher members and offer them with a discount to lower tier FF. But once upon checking in and once regular seats are all booked, EC seats will be filled up with passengers regardless of status so I don’t know how “tolerable” that array of passengers is.
EC seats are not booked long way out, I never have a problem to find a seat of my choice and all categories are nearly always available. On long haul very likely and on short haul, often more EC seats open up when no or very few J seats are sold. KL moves the curtain more up front so more EC seats will become available.

Regarding reaching status, Platinum level automatically allows a soft landing to Gold the year after in case you don’t manage to earn 300 XP’s. So in theory you could stop earn XP’s after you reached Platinum and be ensured you would have Gold the year after. So 1 year Platinum and 1 year Gold will cost you 300 + 0 = 300 XP. 2 years of Gold will cost you 2 x 180 = 360 XP.
The doomed likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:42 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
On a connecting flight LBA-AMS once, the cabin crew read out a *very long* list of connections and gate numbers at AMS.
Every passenger's connection seemed to be covered by the announcement. But despite being Gold, my TATL connection was not mentioned at all!
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by BobTL
Your approach is kind of complicated mate😁
”A more tolerable array of passengers” doesn’t sound that friendly tbh.
Fact is that KLM prohibits the EC seats for free to Platinum or higher members and offer them with a discount to lower tier FF. But once upon checking in and once regular seats are all booked, EC seats will be filled up with passengers regardless of status so I don’t know how “tolerable” that array of passengers is.
EC seats are not booked long way out, I never have a problem to find a seat of my choice and all categories are nearly always available. On long haul very likely and on short haul, often more EC seats open up when no or very few J seats are sold. KL moves the curtain more up front so more EC seats will become available.

Regarding reaching status, Platinum level automatically allows a soft landing to Gold the year after in case you don’t manage to earn 300 XP’s. So in theory you could stop earn XP’s after you reached Platinum and be ensured you would have Gold the year after. So 1 year Platinum and 1 year Gold will cost you 300 + 0 = 300 XP. 2 years of Gold will cost you 2 x 180 = 360 XP.
​"A more tolerable array of passengers" perhaps not the best choice of words, yeh, let's just say from observations, it's a quieter more sedate space on the plane.

​​​​​​Have definitely observed EC seats to ATL and IAD filling up quickly. Front Seats essentially empty, with EC almost full, weeks out.

Thanks for note on soft landing. I suppose I'm thinking if more years at Gold is better than a year at platinum. I.e. bank 115 points to help the next few years, and hang on to BA bronze (only for BA seat selection benefit)

Qualifying at the start of the month essentially gets the rest of that month for free, right?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Gold flying sometimes with plat colleagues

Last time, flying MIA-CDG on A380 upper deck, extra legroom seats, plat colleague of mine and gold myself, different PNR.
Friendly FA offered us amenity bag from PE and wine from J cabin.
I’d say like in a previous comment that service really depends on FA mindset. Some really go the extra mile, for some others it’s just a job, and they do minimum.
will be plat first time in a couple of months, I’ll see how different it is from my gold experience, and post here any findings.
The doomed and Goldorak like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by Brendan88
Yesterday I was told by the Plat service line that the unwritten advantage of giving your Plat status to others by booking an award ticket for them from your account is going to go. The lady said that an exact date is not know yet but it would be in the next few months.
I can confirm this. During a call last week with the PSL (on a different topic) I asked about this, since I recently redeemed an award ticket for my brother and noticed that unofficial benefit was still on, and asked whether this was to last.

The agent told me that for now it is still on, but she had heard this might be terminated in the near future (no official memo yet though).

Makes me think again about redeeming award flights for my family/friends! 😊

Cheers,
vinnyc
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
I'm sure somebody already noted this somewhere, but I didn't see it: The Platinum line in F, B & NL no longer operates a 24h service. Current opening hours are 8am-8pm CET.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
The Platinum line in F, B & NL no longer operates a 24h service. Current opening hours are 8am-8pm CET.
Thanks for the heads-up.

I usually call them late evening, when in my experience the call gets answered immediately. Last time I phoned was a couple of weeks ago, though (and yes, I'm still waiting for the refund).

Johan
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
I'm sure somebody already noted this somewhere, but I didn't see it: The Platinum line in F, B & NL no longer operates a 24h service. Current opening hours are 8am-8pm CET.
I don't know exactly if employees are wearing a watch, but 5 minutes ago the NL platinum line was operating as usual and none of the employees were aware they were doing overtime.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
... and it’s strictly enforced, too.
Last week, I had the surprise to hear my call to PSL automatically hung up after hearing a message stating the new opening hours. It was -I kid you not- 8:01 PM.

I had never seen AFKLM sticking so close to schedule... almost felt proud of them !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.