Search

China Southern leaving ST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
They did not renew the contract in 2019 but, AIUI, they are in the notice period for leaving ST and, for most practical purposes as far as passengers are concerned, the airline is still regarded as being with ST.
AFAIK, the CZ page says exactly the same thing as it said in December 2018. It has always been the case that a number of CZ flights were excluded from earning. Although the FB page suggests otherwise, the flight numbers listed as excluded on FB are in fact codeshare flights operated by non-ST airlines (except, strangely, for some flights operated by Xiamenair; this might be an oversight but I would not tempt fate by flying on any of these).
While I would personally have no qualms from an FB point of view about taking a CZ flight operated by CZ themselves or a ST airline unless it happened to bear one of the numbers listed on the FB page, I do not have a "reliable source" that I can point you towards. AFAIK, there has not been any clear statement published anywhere. So, if you need this for your own reassurance, I would suggest that you steer clear of CZ flights altogether.
Many thanks NickB. I really appreciate your assistance. And CZ Sky Pearl website does list all ST airlines as partners with the same earning table as when they were member of ST. That would also suggest that the reciprocal holds.

I just disagree with your statement about "notice period". CZ has left ST on 31 December 2018, this is fully official and they had given proper notice to ST in 2018.

Anyway, given the few XPs granted for domestic China travel, it makes little difference to me. Sad that there are no OW airlines within mainland China. At least not yet.

Last edited by brunos; Jan 13, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
I just disagree with your statement about "notice period". CZ has left ST on 31 December 2018, this is fully official and they had given proper notice to ST in 2018.
This reminds me of Theresa May insisting that the period after Brexit should not be referred to as the "transition period" but instead as the "implementation period."

OK, so let us not call it the "notice period" and let us call it the "transition period" instead.

Whichever name one gives it, it is a period during which, AIUI, miles earning, XP earning, miles spending, interlining, lounge access, other ST perks on CZ for FB members are the same as before 1/1/19 and vice-versa for CZ pax on ST airlines, hence why I described this as being regarded as still being in ST for most purposes, at least as far as passengers are concerned. Yes, there are some changes: CZ no longer sells Skyteam products such as ST RTW tickets, for instance. But, for the most part, things work for now pretty much the same way as they did before 1/1/19.

But you are correct that "transition period" would be a better way to describe it.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
We both enjoy arguing the fine points.
On this topic, you win 9 to 1.

Hopefully FB will clarify their webpage for other, less informed readers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
It would be interesting if anyone has any practical experiences with CZ to post them here. I would consider them for my possible Summer trip to Asia, but ideally would like to get my XPs and so on.
I can't comment on earning miles and XP, but burning was no problem. I spent 82K miles for a last minute MNL-CAN-SFO award a week ago, mix of C (shorthaul) and Y (trans-pacific). Service was awful, food barely edible. Xiamen Air however, which I used for XMN-MNL was excellent in service and meals. So I won't miss CZ at all but try to fly MF more often.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Shame, I found China Southern surprisingly good when I used them to go to Hong Kong a couple years back. But a couple of years in the airline business is a very long time. However, I was in their premium Economy cabin, which appeared to be separate from the main Economy cabin.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As reported in the other thread in the AF sub-forum, as we could have expected with CZ leaving ST, AF is axing CAN from end of March.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak
As reported in the other thread in the AF sub-forum, as we could have expected with CZ leaving ST, AF is axing CAN from end of March.
It is a total "cut", or reduce the # of weekly flights ?

I just check... It is a total cut...
Bad timing for the 31 March... they must wait end April (It is the Canton Fair in April, and from my experience, almost all flight are full).

The funny side is AF still sell CZ flight from CDG to CAN after the 31 March...

Last edited by FBplatinum; Jan 16, 2019 at 8:22 pm Reason: add info
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Bad timing for the 31 March... they must wait end April (It is the Canton Fair in April, and from my experience, almost all flight are full).
End March is the end of IATA winter season.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:51 am

Can confirm earning miles is still possible. Flew PEK-HKG on 25 Jan 2019 on CZ metal. Presented SU Aeroflot Bonus card at Check-In. Status miles were credited today, on 28 Jan 2019.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Looking at taking the trip to the Philippines March 26 - April 8th 2018 using some of those cheap CZ flight sub 400Euro. Having Plat on KLM I was hoping I could still use the lounges (I am aware it wouldn't give me the XPs or Miles). Is it still possible to access those?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But surely it will give you the XPs and the miles. Or are they out of the game already? I was also thinking of making a trip on CZ.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by Concerto
But surely it will give you the XPs and the miles. Or are they out of the game already? I was also thinking of making a trip on CZ.
There are some bookingclasses that do not yield XP/miles, so check that carefully or book it under a codeshare
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Originally Posted by glennhaak
There are some bookingclasses that do not yield XP/miles, so check that carefully or book it under a codeshare
I might be wrong but I don’t thing you get anything on those flights for under 400 euro.. I have a friend that just flown them who has KLM gold so will check with him.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by DukeOfSilesia

I might be wrong but I don’t thing you get anything on those flights for under 400 euro.. I have a friend that just flown them who has KLM gold so will check with him.
I'm not saying that they do, just confirming what you say: there are bookingclasses that do not yield XP/miles, therefore you might want to book them as a codeshare if possible.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:34 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
The SkyTeam website is stating earn Miles across 19 airlines now having dropped CZ from their infomration. But cannot we still earn Miles and XP until 31/12/2019? I am considering using CZ for my winter holiday which could have the last flight into LHR on 31/12/2019 and not sure if I would earn anything on FB. Is the SkyTeam earning cut-off midnight (local time whereever that maybe) on 31/12/2019? I guess this is still unknown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.