Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Southern leaving ST

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Concerto
And it has kept itself out of an alliance so far.
If you refer to HU, it has it’s own mini-alliance (Fortune Wings).
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I wonder if it will be possible to use China Southern next year and still profit from all the benefits of FB Platinum. Need to know that before making long term bookings. It would be silly to end up without any much needed XPs.
Leaving ST will likely happen only in a couple of months, but we don't know when. I would say you are likely safe until end march, but that's just my own feeling. If the JV with AF survives, then it will be fine also. Overall, making long term CZ booking today is not recommended due to the uncertainties. Even booking on an AF code-share will not protect you as the ticket will be reissued with CZ flight numbers when the partnership ends.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I asked the Platinum Service Line to give me a definitive answer on this because I am considering booking China Southern for May 2019.
After a few days of waiting, the answer came back verbally. We will continue to receive our SkyTeam benefits with China Southern until December 31, 2019. I suggested to the PSL it would be good to publish this somewhere as this important info is not visible online.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That's what I sort of thought (but wasn't sure), going by some of the things I have read about this. It would make sense, but I guess they can pull benefits and miles earning at any time in reality. That happened to me when Virgin America got bought by Alaska, and I had some VX flights in 1st I had hoped to credit to VS Flying Club. VX very quickly ceased to be connected to VS.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:45 pm

I am also a little wary given that the info is not yet published online, but I trust that the PSL would choose to give me the XP at the very least, given they have a record of my correspondence. China Southern is one of the three SkyTeam members I have not flown; very keen to try it out next year while the benefits still exist!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
My understanding from somewhat reliable Chinese sources is that relations have been tense ever since MU took ownership in AFKL and AA in CZ.
The only certainty is that CZ leaves ST on 31 December 2018.Other details are still under discussion.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
My understanding from somewhat reliable Chinese sources is that relations have been tense ever since MU took ownership in AFKL and AA in CZ.
The only certainty is that CZ leaves ST on 31 December 2018.Other details are still under discussion.
I think CZ is one of the better Chinese airlines and really enjoyed my flights with them. A good bit better than MU although MU was definitely acceptable.

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
I am also a little wary given that the info is not yet published online, but I trust that the PSL would choose to give me the XP at the very least, given they have a record of my correspondence. China Southern is one of the three SkyTeam members I have not flown; very keen to try it out next year while the benefits still exist!
Well, if CZ leaves at the end of 2018 then we should expect nothing in the way of ST benefits next year - perhaps for a short time only. Once it has left, it has left.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:05 pm

Well, if CZ leaves at the end of 2018 then we should expect nothing in the way of ST benefits next year - perhaps for a short time only. Once it has left, it has left.
There will be a period of transition and according to what the PSL told me, ST benefits will be applied until 31 December 2019.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very good. Then, like you, I would like to travel with China Southern again and ideally enjoy the elite benefits. Definitely one of the better Skyteam ones out there.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
I asked the Platinum Service Line to give me a definitive answer on this because I am considering booking China Southern for May 2019.
After a few days of waiting, the answer came back verbally. We will continue to receive our SkyTeam benefits with China Southern until December 31, 2019. I suggested to the PSL it would be good to publish this somewhere as this important info is not visible online.
And you honestly believe that? This answer is worth nothing. They'll do whatever they feel like and have demonstrated that over and over again.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
There could be some positive transition for a few months. But I doubt that MU, with a seat on AFKL board, would agree with an extensive joint venture of AFKL with CZ. CZ was both a partner and competitor of AFKL. And in the future they will be primarily a competitor. I think that CZ and AA have high hopes that CZ become a major airline on the Europe-China route.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
There could be some positive transition for a few months. But I doubt that MU, with a seat on AFKL board, would agree with an extensive joint venture of AFKL with CZ.
Good point indeed.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
And you honestly believe that? This answer is worth nothing. They'll do whatever they feel like and have demonstrated that over and over again.
Well yes, I believe it because I wrote and called the PSL three times about it and they said they would come back to me with a definitive answer, which they finally did on the third call. I don't see why the PSL would invent a date out of thin air and assure me this was the confirmed answer, but I could be wrong...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Many
Even if they had written that to you it would be non binding for them.
I sincerely hope what they told you will happen. And I have no doubt it can happen.
Now CZ can also decide otherwise.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There could be some positive transition for a few months. But I doubt that MU, with a seat on AFKL board, would agree with an extensive joint venture of AFKL with CZ. CZ was both a partner and competitor of AFKL. And in the future they will be primarily a competitor. I think that CZ and AA have high hopes that CZ become a major airline on the Europe-China route.
But MU objections could easily be set aside, I would have thought, unless MU was in a position to offer an equivalent partnership to that with CZ, If they are, we could end up with a replacement of an AF-CZ JV with a AF-MU JV. If they are not, the AF-CZ partnership could conceivably continue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.