FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Bank of America Flying Blue USA Credit Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1935878-bank-america-flying-blue-usa-credit-card.html)

worth Sep 3, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Klems (Post 31485449)
I'll update when the 60 XPs post, hopefully sometime this week.

Thanks. Can you confirm if the 60XP will expire as of January 1st, 2020 or if you get a whole 12 months after they post to earn the rest for status? I'm not sure if I should apply now or I'd need to wait until 2020. My current account states:

0 Miles

0 XP

End of qualification period: 31 Dec 2019

mlin32 Sep 3, 2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by worth (Post 31486637)
Thanks. Can you confirm if the 60XP will expire as of January 1st, 2020 or if you get a whole 12 months after they post to earn the rest for status? I'm not sure if I should apply now or I'd need to wait until 2020. My current account states:

0 Miles

0 XP

End of qualification period: 31 Dec 2019

If you apply now and don't qualify for Silver, the 60XP will only be valable until 31/12/2019.

Klems Sep 3, 2019 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by worth (Post 31486637)
Thanks. Can you confirm if the 60XP will expire as of January 1st, 2020 or if you get a whole 12 months after they post to earn the rest for status? I'm not sure if I should apply now or I'd need to wait until 2020.

Well for me these 60XP will push me well over the Gold threshold, so my status date will reset at this point.
In your case, you will be fine if you can find the 40 extra XP to take you to Silver before December 31st. If not, I believe that they will expire so you should definitely wait for next year. I could be wrong though as I've always been a little confused by this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Klems Sep 4, 2019 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Klems (Post 31485449)
I'll update when the 60 XPs post, hopefully sometime this week.

Well that was quick, I woke up this morning with 60 new XPs in my account :) . I didn't even receive the card yet!

worth Sep 4, 2019 11:01 am

Originally Posted by mlin32 (Post 31486860)
If you apply now and don't qualify for Silver, the 60XP will only be valable until 31/12/2019.

That's a weird policy, sounds like there's no point in getting this card towards the end the of year unless it's going to take you to one of Silver/Gold/Platinum.

Thanks for the info.

TerryK Sep 4, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by worth (Post 31489946)
That's a weird policy, sounds like there's no point in getting this card towards the end the of year unless it's going to take you to one of Silver/Gold/Platinum.

Thanks for the info.

That's not a new policy. That has been the case since XP qualification criteria started. XP is valid for the year it was credited unless it is carried over due to elite level.

Mountain Trader Jul 6, 2020 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Frank Wong (Post 30841682)
Got the answer today after waiting for a few months for someone to reply to my post (#23). Applied for the card, met spend and 5 days or so later saw miles posted with new expiration 2 years from now.

To clarify, did the extended miles include miles you already had, or just the ones earned via the card? Put another way, do exisiting miles get extended by having and using the B of A card?

Landing Gear Aug 29, 2020 1:15 pm

I recently received an email from Flying Blue offering me the card with a 50,000 mile bonus. I applied, was approved and am now waiting for it to arrive.

vinnyc Aug 30, 2020 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 32512688)
To clarify, did the extended miles include miles you already had, or just the ones earned via the card? Put another way, do exisiting miles get extended by having and using the B of A card?

Unlike other programs (such as Asia Miles for example), Flying Blue does not assign an expiration to each mile earned, nor does Flying Blue differentiate the origin of the miles earned, they are just miles, period. It is "all or nothing", in the sense that one mile-extension qualifying activity will reset the expiration countdown for all the miles altogether, until the miles expire altogether, or have their validity extended again altogether. One of those qualifying activities are earning miles with the AF-KLM BoA credit card.

Mountain Trader Sep 13, 2020 9:26 pm

Thanks. To confirm, I got the card and after making a purchase with it, all my miles had a new 2 year life.

caliform Sep 15, 2020 4:05 pm

If the link isn't targeted / tokenized, could you share the offer link?

IoViaggio Sep 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by caliform (Post 32678033)
If the link isn't targeted / tokenized, could you share the offer link?

Here you go: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...single/#/info/

caliform Sep 18, 2020 5:58 am

Thanks!

hhdl Sep 18, 2020 12:44 pm

One thing which is unclear to me from reading about this card is the 40 XP (on top of the automatic 20) for $15k spend. Is the sequence:

* get card + 60XP for opening
* spend $15k
* renew and pay annual fee, get 20XP
* get 40XP from the $15k spend in the year just ended

Or is the sequence

* spend $15k in second year
* get 40XP from the $15k spend in the second year

If it's the former, that's fantastic (and implies less strategy is needed for choosing when to apply, since there's a plausible path to ensuring that 60XP post every 12 months). The latter is justifiable on the theory that BofA did a solid by granting 60XP in year 1 without a spend requirement beyond the AF, but conversely it doesn't incentivize hitting $15k in the first year.

vinnyc Sep 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl (Post 32684919)
One thing which is unclear to me from reading about this card is the 40 XP (on top of the automatic 20) for $15k spend. Is the sequence:

* spend $15k
* get 40XP from the $15k spend in the year just ended

Or is the sequence

* spend $15k in second year
* get 40XP from the $15k spend in the second year

If it's the former, that's fantastic (and implies less strategy is needed for choosing when to apply, since there's a plausible path to ensuring that 60XP post every 12 months). The latter is justifiable on the theory that BofA did a solid by granting 60XP in year 1 without a spend requirement beyond the AF, but conversely it doesn't incentivize hitting $15k in the first year.

Hi ​​​hhdl:

It's the former. I can confirm since I signed up last year in August 2019, got my 60XP upon being approved. Fast-forward to now, after a year and spending more than $15,000, I received (see screenshot of the miles/XP posted to my account):
  • 5,000 FB miles ("anniversary bonus miles");
  • 20XP ("anniversary XP credit"); and
  • 40XP ("additional XP bonus for spending over $15,000" over the past year).

It is a really good deal in terms of XP if you can meeting the $15,000 annual spending and you credit to Flying Blue. Plus, I love this card because you get 3x FB miles for tickets purchased from all SkyTeam airlines (so Delta and Chine Eastern in my case, which I fly a lot).

Cheers
vinnyc

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c68288639.jpeg