Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAN-SLC... KL, AF or VS?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:57 am
Original Poster

MAN-SLC... KL, AF or VS?

I've an upcoming work trip from 29 Oct, to 1 Nov to SLC. Unfortunately, the company policy is Economy, so need to decide which airline is most comfortable, so any tips welcome!

The options I have outbound are:

Leave MAN at 0555 with KL, changing in AMS with a Delta 767 operating to SLC
Leave MAN at 0650 with AF, changing in Paris (though 1 hour connection seems tight) with a Delta 767 operating to SLC
Leave MAN at 1040 with VS, changing at Atlanta, with a Delta 757 to SLC

So I guess which is the best Economy product - Delta or Virgin? I only have VS Flying Club Red status, so little chance of an upgrade I expect!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
If you fly with AF you need to be sure that you will fly with a best and beyond cabin , otherwise your trip can be horrible

about KL , no economy premium , just normal eco seats with extra legroom , and they can be cheap so maybe your company will allow such expense , and if you fly with in a refurbished cabin then life will be better

the premium economy of DL can be quite expensive so its up to the budget of your company

Last edited by fifty_two; Oct 11, 2018 at 9:05 am
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by jameseyre

Leave MAN at 0650 with AF, changing in Paris (though 1 hour connection seems tight) with a Delta 767 operating to SLC
So your options are basically DL 767 or VS 747.

I'm partial to Delta, and if your company is willing to pay for the Economy Comfort, then you'll have a rather comfortable ride (as good as it gets in Economy). But even in regular Economy it's very doable. DL wifi is fast and reliable; and free if sending messages and e-mails is sufficient for you. If waking up early is not too much hassle, I recommend KL+DL (pain-free transfer in AMS is an added benefit).

Plus, DL's 767 have a 2-3-2 seating, which is comfier than VS 3-4-3.

Last edited by ok986; Oct 11, 2018 at 7:59 am
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

There's also a 0650 dep from MAN with Flybe which connects to the same DL flight with a 1hr 30 connection, so not quite as early a departure.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Hhhmmm I am not fond of early flights, particularly to the US (where you arrive then early to and have to kill the day). For me the 10.40 start would decide things! Cannot see that much of a difference between a 767 and 747 in economy.....
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by jameseyre
I've an upcoming work trip from 29 Oct, to 1 Nov to SLC. Unfortunately, the company policy is Economy, so need to decide which airline is most comfortable, so any tips welcome!

So I guess which is the best Economy product - Delta or Virgin? I only have VS Flying Club Red status, so little chance of an upgrade I expect!
Spent more time than I would have preferred on DL 767s this summer. Tight seating, though 2 on the window sides is nice.

Would go for VS if only because it means you miss the horrible scrum that is MAN T3 at that time in the morning. Absolutely horrific. 10.40 while maybe still busy, T2 is generally quieter a more platable alarm call.

Atlanta was not as bad as expected for connecting. CDG was and AMS is hit or miss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.